• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Is it so damn hard to convince/explain to someone that the best (and only) course of action to get their gun fixed is to shell out $35 to a gunsmith? And why the hell would someone not learn how to field-strip and clean their own ****ing rifle?

My dads Judge has been in a bag for three ****ing weeks now because he just won't listen to me when I say that its not under warranty (he never activated it, plus me removing the cylinder/crane to clean it out would've voided it anyway), and the two parts that fell out need to be replaced anyway (he thinks I can buy the spring that broke and do it myself, when I can't even tell if the one tiny little part is what I think it is).

And on top of that, I found out that my one friend has neglected her .22 so much that the exposed side of the bolt is covered in rust, as is the barrel where the model/caliber/etc etc is stamped in. Spent two ******n hours scrubbing thnd I'm still not done. And on top of that, I managed to kink the recoil spring in two different places bad enough that its got two 90 degree bends.
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would call Taurus, they have one of the best warranties in the business. Plus there is no need to activate it and it is not limited to the first owner.

JMHO if you broke it, you should at least offer to get it fixed for him.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Is that .22 a marlin? I HATE the recoil spring on that. There's a lot of easy ways to get rust off. The hard part is re finishing the gun. If you want ideas, post pics and let us know.

I've never heard of any type of disassembly voiding a warranty though. Its always worth at least calling and asking.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If your dad takes a Judge with missing parts to a gunsmith it's going to cost a lot more than $35 to fix. No offense, but it sounds like it would have been better for he and your friend to do that in the first place.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    London, none of the parts are missing. I just don't know where one of them goes. And no, it wouldn't have been easier for my dad/friend to do this themselves (assuming you meant care for their guns), because neither of them know how (he refuses to learn and really doesn't care, she's just a slow learner). And that $35 thing was an on-sight quote, so the 'smith knows what to expect already.

Acera, I've emailed Taurus about the warranty, haven't heard back yet. If I read their website right, any disassembly beyond what's needed for cleaning that isn't done by Taurus or a 'smith voids the warranty, hence why I'm hesitant to send the thing off in its current state. Hell, the 'smith I talked to even said that me doing what I did voided the warranty.

Jeremy, yeah its a Marlin. Got the spring straightened out, got most of the rust off too. Gonna try reassembling it tomorrow morning. Sad thing is, she didn't even know the condition of the rifle until we got it out earlier.

Last edited:

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    yeah Acera has it on the warranty NOT having to be activated.. those "activation" things are from the marketing dept.

numrich, (sp) or any of the big companies offer scematics (sp..again sigh) so you can id and order the part.. just get a screw driver that "fits" and should be easy going.. keep us posted please..

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    My issue there is that I'm afraid that I'll just make things worse. Way I see it, the gun needs to be looked at by a 'smith anyway because the lock-up is screwed (cylinder can rotate about 5 degrees even when cocked for SA fire), so may as well just take it in now instead of me wasting time and effort on something I don't know how or trust myself to fix.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    My issue there is that I'm afraid that I'll just make things worse. Way I see it, the gun needs to be looked at by a 'smith anyway because the lock-up is screwed (cylinder can rotate about 5 degrees even when cocked for SA fire), so may as well just take it in now instead of me wasting time and effort on something I don't know how or trust myself to fix.

Be careful with dropping it off to a "Gun Smith". First time out with an AR I bought and it had a safety issue. Lever wouldn't return correctly and when I pushed it too far it just spun. I took the rifle back into the store and ask for a gunsmith to look at it. True to form, some overweight old guy waddles in a snatches the rifle from me and walks off. To where I do not know since after 30 minutes he never reappeared. I had to get the store manager to find my rifle and return it so I could leave.

Got home and found that it was the detent spring inserted and held in place by the grip. It should have been a free and easy 30 second fix.

Too bad your not close by as I would take a look at it and see if it could be fixed without worry.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Maybe I'm just being overly cautious, I don't know. I'll probably hop on Youtube when I get home and pull up a video guide on stripping the damned gun, see how far I can get without getting nervous. Maybe I'll get lucky and this really is just a simple fix.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    All guns are just fancy puzzles. Go ahead and watch the YouTube videos a few times. I learn a lot that way, and I'm constantly tearing apart guns I've never seen before.

Top Bottom