• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    A couple days of not getting stocked and these are the store shelves in the DFW area. This is bread isle. Milk, eggs, cheese, and other sections look the same.

nnhm.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Great reminder of how things can get, even in an event such as this. Now imagine something bigger and more prolonged. Thanks for posting.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I thought you were north of the Red River Mate.

Seen plenty of empty shelves pre/post hurricane.

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    I went to Kroger Thursday nigjt before it hit. Shelves were emptying out pretty quick. Meat aisle was pretty bare. It was surprising.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I had a delicious beef stew this evening my lovely bride canned in September.

Edit ... October

Beef%20Stew.jpg

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    The funny thing is, it happens every time there is a storm, and it's not due to any shortage in the supply chain. My son in law works for wally world distribution. Plenty of product in the warehouse, just can't get trucks in and out to restock the stores. If these company execs would ever bother to watch the same newscast as all their shoppers do, and perhaps pay just a little bit of attention to history, they could stock the stores up before the storm hit.

Of course this little story just goes to show how ill prepared our supply chain is for a real SHTF scenario.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    The funny thing is, it happens every time there is a storm, and it's not due to any shortage in the supply chain. My son in law works for wally world distribution. Plenty of product in the warehouse, just can't get trucks in and out to restock the stores. If these company execs would ever bother to watch the same newscast as all their shoppers do, and perhaps pay just a little bit of attention to history, they could stock the stores up before the storm hit.

Of course this little story just goes to show how ill prepared our supply chain is for a real SHTF scenario.

Takes about 72 hours for stuff to get into emergency mode. That's why 72 hours is the minimum of preps you should have.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I was in the process of moving so I had/have zero groceries. Luckily, my family sent me back with some food. I ate steak and green beans for two days straight.

Right now my fridge has milk, water, ketchup, and butter in it. Lol.

Won't get me again.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Takes about 72 hours for stuff to get into emergency mode. That's why 72 hours is the minimum of preps you should have.

But there's no reason for it to take that long. Some manager at wally world could have watched the news Wednesday and changed their store order and received the goods on Thursday before the storm. That didn't happen. The distribution center he works at sent out minimal goods on Friday due to the weather during his shift, and even less on Saturday and Sunday. They cut hours and sent people home or told them not to come in since the trucks weren't moving.

On another note. Three days of this white stuff is more than enough. Can't imagine what it's like where you live where it goes on for months at a time.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Power? We don't need no stinking power!

We had plenty of food, 3 types of fuel (lots of if), plenty of water, candles etc...

We could have lasted a long time.

We ended up clearing downed limbs in the roadway with my chainsaw (yea, free firewood for my elderly neighbor!), kept a close eye on the elderly in town and helped out a few who weren't as well prepared with heaters/heating fuel/food and stayed warm the whole time.

We've never considered ourselves true "preppers" but being avid hunters/farmers/outdoorsmen left us much better prepared for the scenario than we had thought.

I know it sounds crazy but when the power finally came back on we were a bit disappointed.

We're already talking about what we can do to make it even better the next time something like that happens. Official preppers now I suppose.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    We're already talking about what we can do to make it even better the next time something like that happens. Official preppers now I suppose.

One of the Mormon teachings is if you're prepared you don't fear and can help others.

During Rita we didn't go to the stores for two weeks because of the crazy there. Other than fresh milk we really didn't notice it though.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    You guys are missing the perspective of the grocer.
    The customer wants the freshest food.
    Places like Kroger etc get food almost every day if not every day. They probably run enough inventory to miss 1 maybe 2 deliveries. Tops. With normal demand.

2 reasons for this, cost and cost. And to a lessor extent freshness.

So a storm comes in, they miss 3-4 days worth of deliveries and the higher demand for people stocking up, you get bare shelves.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am in the hardest hit area and it isn't that bad. I have been to Wally/Target/Market Street and they all had plenty of food. Walmart was the worst by far as the low hanging fruit there just loses their minds. They "think" that their 250lbs trailer park princess needs to be dropped off and picked up at the front of the store - all TWO THOUSAND of them at the same time. I was at these stores getting supplies for being sick and just grabbed food while I was there. Target was stocking bread as I was standing there with four guys unloading an entire aisle full.

The best part about these ice storms are the tards that either can't drive in it or their vehicles can't make it through.

BreakingContact - I am LOVING my AWD/4WD BOV Navigator as I plow through this stuff with ease! lol

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    You guys are missing the perspective of the grocer.
    The customer wants the freshest food.
    Places like Kroger etc get food almost every day if not every day. They probably run enough inventory to miss 1 maybe 2 deliveries. Tops. With normal demand.

2 reasons for this, cost and cost. And to a lessor extent freshness.

So a storm comes in, they miss 3-4 days worth of deliveries and the higher demand for people stocking up, you get bare shelves.

You sure? The news reports I saw showed bare shelves Thursday night. That would make the bare shelves showing up just because the news stories about the impending doom. They stayed bare after the storm hit due to the road affecting the re-supply chain, but the empty shelves means all in store inventories were wiped out before the storm even hit.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Hope everyone fueled up beforehand. We're starting to get reports of stations all around us running out of gas due to the supply chain interruption.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The years I spent in the Army led me to stock up on water, canned corned beef and bacon, dried milk, dried eggs, and dehydrated potatoes and onions.

Field cooks could make a feast out of emergency rations when fresh meat and vegetables ran out.

Every vehicle carried at least one five gallon container of gasoline or diesel to power a generator or space heater.

Life was good, even in the worst winter weather.

When it got really bad, we traded fuel for food with the locals.

Top Bottom