• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So I see a commercial for ZZ Top 50th anniversary concert with Bad Company & special guest Cheap Trick. I don't understand Cheap Trick in this line up. Cheap Trick IMHO sucked back then as the have to now! I get that so many of the bands from back in the day don't exist, but cheap Trick come on, do they dork that cheap not to effect profit or what?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I am not a fan of Cheap Trick but I would put up with them to see the awsomeness of ZZ Top.
    I liked early ZZ Top. I think Eliminator was the last of their music I bought. Might not even rednecognize anything newer then that, even with it being the same 3 guys, same 3 chords!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I might be in the minority here, but I'm done with most of the old bands in person.

Willie, oh jeez. I love me some Willie. It was painful, he was out of breath. He used to be able to do that super fast from one song to another thing, but not anymore.

KC & Sunshine Band. My wife wanted to see it. He was fat, bald and out of breath and sweating like a pig.

A couple others where only half the band was the original guys. And it just was not the same.

I am only going to see current younger artists from here on out. My recent in person concerts with my musical heroes have left me with the decision to just play their music off my phone.

Saw Max Stalling recently, and he does a good show. His wife on fiddle is some of the best fiddle playing I've heard. She is really good. Like in my top 10 ever. Best surprise I've had in a long time to get that quality playing from a relative unknown.

I would go see Jaimey Johnson. Maybe Boston. But ZZ, Foreigner, Rolling Stones, etc are a no-go for me personally. I've seen Billy Gibbons on TV a few times, and the years have not been kind. I have a hard time watching them be old.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Cheap Trick is a great band too.....Rick (Richard) Nielsen is an excellent guitarist......

Haven't seen any of the three bands in person since the mid 70's....enjoy all 3's music.....

ZZ Top would be my favorite, though of the 3..........

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Yeah I got to depart with the OP on this one too. Love me some ZZ Top but Trick is also a great bad. You don’t endure this long if you suck. Maybe they’re just not your cup of tea but to many of us we like their style. Robin Zander vocals with Rick Neilsen on guitar is a true authentic sound. Some of their covers are better than the originals imo.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    We saw ZZ and Lynerd Skynerd a few years back.
    Good show, but they've sure slowed down.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    One of my more enjoyable evening was seeing Robin Thrower in a bar/club on Weisthiemer in the early 80's. Had great seats up close & was in the company of
    Saw AC/DC when they were last here.
    Brian Johnson's last performance....
    Seen AC/DC in the late 70's with Ten Years Later. Also seen a dude get stabbed that night.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'll be honest my concert seeing days since moving to Texas in 82 have not been near as many as pre 82. Another great concert memory was Jeff Beck getting on stage with Aerosmith & showing them how to play Train Kept a Rolling.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Odd how musical taste with some never evolves.

Reminds me of my Dad who never changed his hair style from the 1930's.....ever.

Get past the musical rut you may be in.

As a young guy, I liked top 40 stuff, but as time passed, I went on to like jazz and ultimately certain kinds of yes.....opera and 1930's music by say "The Ink Spots' with songs like "I don't want to set the world on fire" Not pretentious horseshit, but some music so beautiful it's almost ethereal....Ever hear "Flower Duet" or anything by Puccini? Or Stephane Grappellie and Yehudi M. on violins. Or Cole Porter or the Gershwins?

Now, I look back at my teenage/twenties musical taste and laugh at the crap I thought I'd always thought I'd like and now find well, laughable......

Am I a musical snob?

I don't think so.....I like to think: Eclectic!

Top Bottom