Join TexasGunTalk

widespread price-gouging

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by zenfly, Sep 18, 2013.

1. zenfly

zenfly Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Jeff Quinn ( GunBlast.com - Table of Contents ) discusses widespread price-gouging of guns and ammunition by unscrupulous dealers.

-I've heard of people charging $70 for brick of .22lr and actin' like they were doing someone a favor.-
    -I've heard of 15 guys standing in line at 7:00am in Wal-Mart and buyin' 3 boxes of ammo apiece. Then they all go outside and put the ammo in the same vehicle. They're buyin' for some dealer who's gonna jack it up for 4 times what they paid.-
    -You walk into some place and some guy wants to charge you $2000 for a $800 AR, well, what you say to him is your business but I can guarantee you I will never spend a single cent in that place.-
    -Gun and ammo manufacturers have not raised their prices 400%. It's the dealers who have been taking advantage of their customers during this Constitutional Crisis. There are some dealers who have not raised their prices this whole time. It's a free market, sure. But the market will return to normal and, when it does, remember the folks who did you right and the folks who tried to stick it to you. Those places that did good by their customers are where you need to be spending your money in the future.-

2. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    People claim to love capitalism....then tend to bitch about it.

Go to an economics 101 class. Supply/Demand. Pretty simple concept.

The cry baby mentality gets old.

3. Mic

Mic TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Capitalism is letting the.market decide. When people try to stick it to you and you dont forget about it, that is capitalism.
    I love how people try to screw other people and.hide behind capitalism.

4. ag1052

ag1052 Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Who is paying 4 times the rate on ammo? The only way to break this cycle is for people to stop paying the outrageous rates and then the resellers wont have 15 guys go to Walmart to clear it out. As long at people keep paying crazy rates there will be people to keep clearing the ammo off the shelves just to jack up the price.

5. CitizenSeven

CitizenSeven Member

Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    Nothing is worth anything but what someone is willing to pay for it. The average of many such price/benefit choices is the "market value", and it can fluctuate wildly over time depending on shocks to supply and/or demand. I got into guns at the perfectly wrong time from a price perspective, but I don't consider what I paid for ammo/guns back in February and March unfair. I thought there were going to be serious restrictions, such as a return to the AWB, and if I wanted to exercise my 2A that's the price I had to pay at the time. Apparently, that was the general market consensus then, and hence the increased prices.

One can rail against the stupidity of the herd driving up prices, and in this case, you'd have a good point. However, politically it could have gone the other way, and such choices would have been eliminated or made much more difficult with onerous bureaucracy (i.e. NFA). Hindsight is 20-20 after all, and the fundamental rule of any exchange is that the seller wants to maximize price while the buyer wants to minimize it, with both operating under varying influences driving the desire to make a sale/purchase.

6. Texan2

Texan2 TGT Addict

Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    What you are seeing in the firearms market is the very definition of capitalism.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    So then let the market decide and rally against the jackasses paying $70 for a brick of 22! Stop them and you stop artificially inflated pricing. If you choose not to use a vendor because of it, that's your choice, but don't sit there and leave out the fact that people buying at those prices don't have the greater effect on pricing.

How long can a vendor have for sale $70 bricks or whatever item at whatever inflated price point, without a fair amount of people buying it within a set amount of time?

8. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Somebody call a Whambulance!

9. zenfly

zenfly Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Exactly.. Thats why we all bought many bricks of 22 and hundreds of pounds of all other needed ammo yrs ago..the writing was on the wall.. It did affect my life greatly though because I'm reluctant to shoot like I used to..

10. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Nobody is making anyone buy the inflated ammo. It's the vendor loss..IMO