Lynx Defense

..Wife interested in a suppressor/handgun..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    my Wife is recoil sensitive (no .45, .40, .357mag), doesn't care for full sized 1911 type pistols so I'm researching suitable 9mm and .380 platforms that can be suppressed

any suggestions ? thanks
    Target Sports

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Don't know how big your wife is - that'll have an impact on felt recoil. Mine is really recoil sensitive, too, and she is not "petite". 5'8". Still has all the right curves in all the right places, too!

She liked the Ruger New Blackhawk with the 9mm cylinder in it. Also liked the Browning HiPower in 9mm. Both are heavy for their size, so recoil is absorbed in the frame a lot. I would imagine any full-size 9mm frame, particularly a steel frame, would do well for her. I understand there are some 9mm versions of 1911's available (heresy I say! HERESY! JMHO!!! ) but they would be excellent guns with pretty low felt recoil.

If you wanted to stay in the revolver arena, a 4" or 6" barrel Smith model 14 or 19 in K/L frame, or the 27 or 28 in N frame are seriously superb shooting guns and have low recoil using .38 Specials. A 6" Model 28 shooting .38 Specials to me seems to have around the same recoil as an Airweight snubby shooting .22LR.

You have options!!!

KBMiii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    San Antonio
    Glock seems to be popular. It appears that everyone and their mother's make aftermarket threaded barrels.
    I have never fired a Glock but have fired 9mm in other makers. Would probably be your best choice.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Glock seems to be popular. It appears that everyone and their mother's make aftermarket threaded barrels.
    I have never fired a Glock but have fired 9mm in other makers. Would probably be your best choice.
    I have a G17, you're more than welcome to shoot as much as you want. If you ever make it out to Dietz or Bexar co range.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    we have 6 Glocks of which 2 are g19s - mine has a Trij RMR RDS w/suppressor sights installed - she likes her g19 mucho and doesn't mind what recoil there is

which has me thinking.....

I could do an after-market threaded barrel on mine, do the "suppressor stuff" and give it to her as a gift

I wonder about swapping the barrel/suppressor between the 2 g19s - would that be legal ?

oh, and thanks for all the suggestions

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    thanks again - I'm thinking the Glocks would be the way to go - could also get a threaded barrel for her g34 (in addition to the g19s)

RipGear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2014
    Missouri City, TX
    thanks again - I'm thinking the Glocks would be the way to go - could also get a threaded barrel for her g34 (in addition to the g19s)

I run my G34 Gen4 with the Silencerco Osprey9 and a stainless LoneWolf threaded barrel. I haven't had any issues other than my range trips taking longer due to so many inquiries about the suppressors from the other members.

As RacerX mentioned above, the suppressors are not tied to the gun. The paperwork is only for possession of the suppressor and you can mount it on any firearm that it is designed for. If you do go the suppressor route I would suggest starting with a 45 caliber rated suppressor as you can shoot 45ACP (of which you have plenty) as well as 40 and 9mm. I shoot 9mm through my Osprey45 and the difference in sound versus the Osprey9 is minimal. A dedicated 9mm can is generally a little shorter and in turn lighter than a 45ACP can.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    xbasbajajjs
    Top Bottom