• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viking_in_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    She is interested in simple competitions, IDPA and the like. A little weight would help with recoil, regular length barrel would be cool too.
    She's left handed, have small hands, and not a lot of hand strength.
    It will not be used for concealed carry.
    We tried the H&K VP9, which had a smallish grip, and ambi controls. Expensive.
    The Canik TP9 was reasonable on the grip size, I worry about the rest of it, though.

G17 was not an immediate favorite, the gen5 has ambi controls, so it's a bit more expensive too.

Suggestions?
    Military Camp

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The gen 5 Glocks are absolutely equal to the trigger pull of the PPQ variants (best trigger pull of anything that's not a 1911), and much less flippy. I'm quite shocked, actually

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    178055_01_lg_0_0.jpg

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-pro-series-model-986

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Can't go wrong with a G45 but I didn't care for the Shield 9mm. I had one when it first came out and wasn't impressed. That is just me though and I learned that small guns aren't for me. For some reason I'm terrible with them and don't feel comfortable holding them.

I used to be Anti-Glock until I fired one extensively at the range one day. Now I got a G20 and will be getting a G40 at some point. I'd also recommend a Baby Eagle 9mm. It's heavy enough to hold down recoil and makes me look good on the paper.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depending on how she is with a 1911, I would second the Rock Island 9mm. Very little recoil.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am a 1911 guy. Have been for over fifty years. I have a large collection of 1911s to prove it.
    Recently I have become a fan of some of the CZ products.
    The CZ 75 P-01, the P-05, and the P-10c. The P-10c is a Glock clone with much better grip ergonomics.
    Another important factor to me as I get older, the CZs are much easier to clean. It takes me about 10 minutes to clean one of my CZs. It takes me over 30 minutes to clean one of my 1911s correctly.

What your wife needs to do is go to a local gun store and fondle a few pistols she might like. Then go to a range where you can rent a model she likes. The cost is far cheaper than buying something first.
    Trust me on this. I can't guess how much money I wasted trying to find something my wife and my daughter would like and be able to shoot well. My daughter ended up liking one of my full size stainless 45 ACP Springfield 1911s. My wife ended up liking my P-01 in 9mm. It was a win-win for everyone.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Looking at a lot of the reponses it appears that many people didn't read what the OP wrote.
    His wife is interested in competitions, they looked at models such as the vp9 and glock17. After reading the suggestions offered some are very accurate.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I got a lot of suggestions in one of my threads I started with being concerned about the mag release as a lefty. People suggested the paddle mag release style.

My issue was that I didn’t want to switch over the mag release button on my Glock 34 because I had to share it with righties in the family. You guys may not have that concern. I’ll dig up my thread from a few months ago I started so I can see if I can link it with all the good recommendations.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom