• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    It sounds like the real issue here was him choosing to chase the perp into the parking lot and then firing as the guy is trying to get away. I understand force was used to get the phone, but the suspect was fleeing the scene and this guy gave chase. Other than running out to try and get a license plate, he probably shouldn't have given chase. But we clearly don't have all the facts.

TXI- I've heard conflicting things in the past about using deadly force to protect/retrieve property. I know I could run look for the statute, but I prefer to ask you since you usually know statute/case law/footnotes/DA tendencies, etc.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I have to tune to this thread. I am LEO and if I did something as reckless as that I would be charged and fired. The badguy here was not armed as for as I could tell.

Thanks for popping in. I hope you step in more often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    This is why I don't do business on Craigslist.

I think this is more about making a deal at night alone than Craigslist. If he would have made the transaction at 3 in the afternoon with two of his buddies with him, do you think this would have happened?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think this is more about making a deal at night alone than Craigslist. If he would have made the transaction at 3 in the afternoon with two of his buddies with him, do you think this would have happened?

I don't think inside a WalMart can be considered alone, I have never been alone in one. LOL.

Also, I have never felt the need for 1,2 or 3 buddies to back me up during a transaction I have had with any member here. There have been times when herself was with me, for her interest in the deal, not my/our security. If I am selling or buying something from a member here and they show up with 2 buddies for protection, I will probably rethink making contact and the deal.

The victim of the robbery did at least one thing right (up to the gun play part.). He met the customer in a well lit public place, this was inside the store, not out back by the dumpsters in the shadows. I am pretty sure the security cameras were covering the area they were in. Don't know details about what happened up to him getting punched and robbed, but pretty sure others would have noticed if a big drama filled encounter had happened. Sometimes we can't vet everyone we deal with and get unlucky, he seemed to have taken reasonable precautions. IMHO

Another thing, I had brought a pair of friends to the deal, it might make the deal not worth it. After buying them dinner and drinks for their time or other form of compensation for their help, the cost might have doubled :)

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    OK this wasn't a member here, this was some slacker off of Craigslist, two different things.

I have also dealt with folks from other boards, and also community forum boards (sold a gun or two on those also). I think he played the first part pretty well as far as the place to meet, etc. If Craigslist is so dangerous, why should anyone use them?? How can it still exist without tons of negative publicity if it is not safe? Pretty sure you can run into a less desirable person on here also, you just have to mitigate all the risks you can to the best of your ability.

Last edited:

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Well there's nothing wrong with CL or doing business there. Each person must take it upon themselves to take whatever precautions they feel are necessary. its not the website's responsibility to make sure the f2f transactions are safe.

Ive never had a problem with anyone I have dealt with past, and I've sold everything from phones to bikes to cars and trucks. Bought as well. You just need to be wary of who you're dealing with, and watch their body language. Be smart on the time and place, and maybe interview the person a bit more to make sure things fit together before meeting.

Then, be sure to pack, and or have a friend.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    OK this wasn't a member here, this was some slacker off of Craigslist, two different things.
    This is kind of the way I feel about it. I've done at least five buys from people on here. Some at night, some at day. Some of the sellers had thousands of posts, some had very few. Every transaction went perfectly - they delivered exactly what they described. On Craigslist, you have know idea what kind of person you are going to deal with. On here, at least you have a pretty good idea they are gun people which at least in my mind equates to good people.

Top Bottom