Gun Zone Deals

Will i Be able to use a temporary TX DL at a gun show.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdubb750

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Humble, Tx
    Hello all, Great forum you have here, im looking forward to being a part of it.

Question:

I have lived in Texas most my adult life but for the last 4 yrs have been in NY for work(thank god im back). I switched my DL over today and now i only have a Texas Temp DL, while im waiting on the new card. It does have a picture.

As you can imagine i am excited about being back in Texas and to celebrate i was gonna go to a large Gunshow in Houston this coming weekend.

Will i be able to purchase a handgun with this temporary paper DL? The only other photo ID i have is the TWIC card (govt issued ID for Transportation workers that work in ports).

Thanks for any help guys.
    Capitol Armory ad

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You shouldn't have an issue with it as long as you have some kinda photo ID to "back up" that it's really "you".
    That's the factual statement there.

In a store all that you need to purchase a firearm is a form of valid photo ID to prove it's you, and the current Texas address on the temp form.
    I wouldn't imagine a show would be any stricter.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Concur with TRN, I was able to use the temporary driver's license as proof of Texas residency when I bought a Springfield XD-45. This was back when they didn't have a picture on them, but luckily I still had my retired military ID as a second form of identification.

As a matter of fact, the reason I got my Texas DL was so I could buy the Springfield! I had recently retired, but was still using my Florida DL. When I went to pick the XD up, I was told I would need a Texas DL since I had retired. I drove over and got one, and promptly returned to the store to pick up my new pistol!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    "A combination of government issued documents may be provided."

Form4473-ID.jpg

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I tried that one time. My license had expired and I went and upgraded to a CDL. All I had was the expired license and the paper one. Now this was even 5 years ago or so...
    I tried to buy a gun at a local show and the dickhead called the local sheriff over there! He started filling the sheriff in on all the problems... I just stood their and waited for the dickhead to finish. The sheriff look at me and asked the guy, So What? I didnt buy the gun from the douchebag and I told em to kiss it! Some people think you have to please them, but I couldnt give a crap less!

woodsong

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Katy
    Shouldn't be a problem -- the picture ID will establish you're who you say you are, the temp DL will establish you're a Texas citizen. Since you don't have a CHL, they'll use the information from your temp DL and SSN for the FBI check.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I tried that one time. My license had expired and I went and upgraded to a CDL. All I had was the expired license and the paper one.

No need for him t be a dick. He should have just shown you the 4473 instructions where it says "valid" and told you he could not accept it. just show him some other photo ID like passport, etc.

jdubb750

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Humble, Tx
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess im just gonna have to try it and see if they will take it.

For kicks i walked into Academy and asked the gun counter guy and he said no.
    the guy at the pawn shop next door said no problem.

I guess im just gonna have to go to the show and hope i find what i want from someone that will take it.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess im just gonna have to try it and see if they will take it.

I guess im just gonna have to go to the show and hope i find what i want from someone that will take it.

Its probably going to be hit or miss as you have already found. I stopped off at lunch today to a local shop and being in a similar situation, asked the guy behind the counter about it. He said Texas issued DL or ID card only. I said what about the paper one and another form of id? No. Even if the other form is a passport? Still no. Now, I think the guy is a moron for passing up a sale, but I support his right to do as he pleases with his business.

Good luck.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Its probably going to be hit or miss as you have already found. I stopped off at lunch today to a local shop and being in a similar situation, asked the guy behind the counter about it. He said Texas issued DL or ID card only. I said what about the paper one and another form of id? No. Even if the other form is a passport? Still no. Now, I think the guy is a moron for passing up a sale, but I support his right to do as he pleases with his business.

Good luck.

This. Any seller can refuse to sell; but they are no obligation not to sell to a person holding a valid Texas ID (as a temporary drivers license is). I mean, they let you drive with the damn thing, and take your out-of-state DL, so why wouldn't someone accept it?

mtaylor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Montgomery, Texas

That is correct. An FFL is not obligated to sell under any condition. You will just have to find one that will and has what you want.

Top Bottom