• ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    She wasn't drunk.
    The totality of circumstances should have and did lead a reasonable officer to believe Mrs West was operating a motor vehicle in a public place while intoxicated. The officer need not disprove each individual alternate cause or explanation or show each individual element of a suspects behavior is criminal. It is taken innthe aggregate.

A guy standing next to a burgalrized car with a screwdriver in one hand, a radio with ripped out wires in the other and you had seen him earlier peering into cars as he walked through a parking lot.

Is that a good arrest? Is that a good detention even?
    Consider the implications of YES or NO before you answer. I will additionally ask you to explain your answer, you seem verbose in some posts so I expect some detail.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Yeah, that article says so, so it must be true.
    Alas, only if you say so, it seems. I never said it wss true or correct. As I indicated, I said if correct or if true then... That, of course, is a big if but if true at least my discussion has some basis in fact other than opinion admitedly without any proof at all.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It's my understanding she had consumed no alcohol and tests showed that to be the case. How could the officer smell alcohol when none was consumed? It's just my opinion.
    You don't have to have consumed alcohol to be intoxicated. Lots of prescription pills, even taken at prescribed doses can get you snatched up. Xanax in particular is one I ran into a lot, but PCP (smells odd), marijuana, Ambien are other substances I have made DWI arrests for where I never suggested the operator of the vehicle was "drunk" or had consumed any alcohol.

If you would keep up with my prior posts, you would have seen where I said I THINK the officer simply allowed confirmation bias to classify "the smell" as alcohol. Perfume, BO, Ketosis, a fruity drink... they could all be mistaken or misinterpreted as "alcohol" by an inexperienced officer.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    If my memory serves, The alcohol smelled in the West case was in a McDonalds cup. Which was NOT taken in evidence.
    When the Chief of Dallas PD took time to go on TV and proclaim that keeping this evidence was not customary, that was when I knew in my gut that the whole stop was politically motivated.
    Can any of us prove this, nope, but it did not then or now pass the smell test.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    If my memory serves, The alcohol smelled in the West case was in a McDonalds cup. Which was NOT taken in evidence.
    When the Chief of Dallas PD took time to go on TV and proclaim that keeping this evidence was not customary, that was when I knew in my gut that the whole stop was politically motivated.
    Can any of us prove this, nope, but it did not then or now pass the smell test.

Keeping liquid alcohol isn't SOP.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The officer didn't know that when she observed her driving erratically, or performed the field sobriety test. In her determination, she thought Mrs. West was under the influence.

I'm very pleased she passed and was exonerated and the charges dropped, as they should have been. An arrest isn't a conviction, and the system worked.

What if Mrs. West had been drunk, and the officer ran the plate, knew who the vehicle belonged to and decided to turn a blind and ignore it, and she got into an accident killing, or injuring herself, the grandchild, or another driver?

Would that be acceptable to you? For some reason, you either have no clue how dangerous drunk drivers are, or maybe you have had a few DWI's and think they should get a pass.
    "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer".- Benjamin Franklin

“I smelled alcohol “ negates everything that was legitimate about that arrest.

As someone who has had that same line used on me as a pretext to putting me in handcuffs ( no alcohol or any other intoxicants) and putting me in jail overnight I have a special disgust for lying, stasi wannabe cops.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You don't have to have consumed alcohol to be intoxicated. Lots of prescription pills, even taken at prescribed doses can get you snatched up. Xanax in particular is one I ran into a lot, but PCP (smells odd), marijuana, Ambien are other substances I have made DWI arrests for where I never suggested the operator of the vehicle was "drunk" or had consumed any alcohol.

If you would keep up with my prior posts, you would have seen where I said I THINK the officer simply allowed confirmation bias to classify "the smell" as alcohol. Perfume, BO, Ketosis, a fruity drink... they could all be mistaken or misinterpreted as "alcohol" by an inexperienced officer.

Had they gone for a reckless driving charge it may have had better shot at a plea. Still a class B misdemeanor, still a trip to jail.
    The “confirmation bias” you mention can also be called tunnel vision by LEO as some seem to need every driving offense to be DWI, and they can’t see the trees through the forest.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I feel that if West is elected we won't turn blue. IMO West is the best guy based on his constitutional position. IMO, if we "turn blue" it's past time to stand up and exercise our rights.
    I was responding to someone who said he wouldn’t vote for Abbott even in the general. Nothing to do with other potential candidates.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I will vote for the Republican Primary winner. Even if they appear to be a RINO.
    I would rather have a Republican I have doubts about how good they will be, than a Democrat that I have no doubts about how bad they will be.
    Let's be clear. I may not vote FOR the best candidate. But I will damn sure vote AGAINST the worst one.
    To do otherwise is like playing Russian roulette. With a semi-auto pistol.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I will vote for the Republican Primary winner. Even if they appear to be a RINO.
    I would rather have a Republican I have doubts about how good they will be, than a Democrat that I have no doubts about how bad they will be.
    Let's be clear. I may not vote FOR the best candidate. But I will damn sure vote AGAINST the worst one.

What if your choice was either Mitt Romney or Joe Manchin? ;)

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

And this is why Dems keep winning the political game while conservatives keep losing. If conservatives keep voting for RINOS, that's what the GOP will run. If RINOS stop getting votes, then the GOP will look for conservative candidates. If that means RINOS lose a few elections, so be it. Dems can be stopped in other ways until the next election....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Had they gone for a reckless driving charge it may have had better shot at a plea. Still a class B misdemeanor, still a trip to jail.
    The “confirmation bias” you mention can also be called tunnel vision by LEO as some seem to need every driving offense to be DWI, and they can’t see the trees through the forest.
    BTDT in a similar situation. And yes, I too have heard the comment, "I smelled alcohol" as well a few times! Even when I hadn't been drinking.

But, I too have thought I smelled alcohol, even when I knew for a fact none was present. That is why I give her with her inexperience the benefit of the doubt.

ETA: @Hoji I meant to quote your previous reply where you quoted my post. Sorry wrong post.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom