Lynx Defense

Wilson Combat EDC X9 vs Springfield Armory Prodigy: Which 9mm "1911" would you go for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilson Combat EDC X9 vs Springfield Armory Prodigy

• Wilson Combat for sure, the best of the best.

Votes: 13 76.5%
    • SA Prodigy is the better gun!

Votes: 2 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Okay, so Staccato vs Wilson (since people think this is a more fair matchup), would the quality be roughly the same between the brands?

The X9 vs C2 is nearly the same argument as before, imo. Still different classes of gun.

Cabot, Alchemy, etc.
    WC/NH/EB/GC
    Staccato/DW
    Everybody else

Also, depends on what you’re going to use it for. If I wanted a race gun or was budget conscious, I would look at the Staccato if I wanted a high cap 9mm 1911-type race gun. But I’d also do some trigger work on it as the one I shot was probably well over 4lbs and just not what I expected in that class of gun compared to my X9.

@MTA89, @EZ-E and others can attest to the build quality and trigger feel of an X9.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Kind of like asking whether you should swallow a truck’s cock or marry a hot chick with a trust fund.

bc37c150d5bfa7861c25c3e4dc5075e0.jpg

ETA: my EDC has about 5k rounds thru the pipe with three total FTF on shitty reloads. Yes, I EDC my X9.
    Reminds me of a story. At a long time job in Oregon, we would play the would you rather game. An easy one came up...Have a fat chick poop on your chest or suck a dick. 99 percent of us are ready to be pooped on. One younger fellow in the room asked: "How long do I have to suck it for"? We all looked at him, and one guy just says: "Get the hell out of here"!

Does the trucker cock come with a handgun equipped with Gripzone?

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The X9 vs C2 is nearly the same argument as before, imo. Still different classes of gun.

Cabot, Alchemy, etc.
    WC/NH/EB/GC
    Staccato/DW
    Everybody else

Also, depends on what you’re going to use it for. If I wanted a race gun or was budget conscious, I would look at the Staccato if I wanted a high cap 9mm 1911-type race gun. But I’d also do some trigger work on it as the one I shot was probably well over 4lbs and just not what I expected in that class of gun compared to my X9.

@MTA89, @EZ-E and others can attest to the build quality and trigger feel of an X9.
    Think I understand your point of view. Only hesitation is Staccato as "race gun". In my experience, the C2 is a smaller version of the P, and is vastly different to the XL or XC which are closer to race guns (though still production guns). I tend to think of WC closer to Staccato/DW as they are not really hand fitted (some hand fitting done, but primarily production guns). BTW, trigger pulls on my P and C2 both come in at less than 4 lbs, and are consistent to within 2 oz across 10-pull sets. XL/XC trigger pull is closer to 2 lbs.

I've been lucky, I haven't purchased a gun I haven't really liked for its intended role (including both WCs and Staccatos). No intention of argument, just my opinion.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My LGS texted this morning saying he's got a WC EDC X9 and a Prodigy in stock (I was asking him about these guns last week). I'm going to visit the shop after work, and PROBABLY going to take one home.

Yeah I know there is a price difference here ($3,000 vs $1,500), but excluding price, which one do you think will be the better overall firearm? The Wilson Combat is probably one of the most highly reviewed 1911 carry guns over the past 3-4 years. I know their quality is unquestionable. I can't wait to check it out after work.

The Prodigy probably has a slightly more modern feature set, especially being optic ready out of the box.

I haven't owned a firearm from either company. Which way would you go?
    How much difference you expect between a VW and a Mercedes? Both will get you from point A to point B, but not equally. There is a large difference in price and workmanship in SA and WC. My SA and WC pistols all function but obviously they aren't equal. Handle each and it will be apparent which one (or both) you will be happy with.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Think I understand your point of view. Only hesitation is Staccato as "race gun". In my experience, the C2 is a smaller version of the P, and is vastly different to the XL or XC which are closer to race guns (though still production guns). I tend to think of WC closer to Staccato/DW as they are not really hand fitted (some hand fitting done, but primarily production guns). BTW, trigger pulls on my P and C2 both come in at less than 4 lbs, and are consistent to within 2 oz across 10-pull sets. XL/XC trigger pull is closer to 2 lbs.

I've been lucky, I haven't purchased a gun I haven't really liked for its intended role (including both WCs and Staccatos). No intention of argument, just my opinion.

And this is another reason I talk about being different classes of guns. The Staccato is a 2011, with the modular lower receiver where the grip and rails are separate pieces while the X9 is closer to a fat monolithic 1911, albeit with a proprietary aluminum frame. While not truly a custom race gun, there’s a reason so many folks compete with the 2011 platform. Meanwhile, the X9 is just barely too big for an IDPA box.

I’m honestly glad there’s competition from quality gunmakers in this space, 3 years ago when I bought my X9, the landscape was completely different and a Staccato was an STI Staccato. I will say it’s likely the one I shot had not been taken care of as the slide release/takedown lever literally fell out during one drill. It was almost as though everything was just a little loose except the trigger.

I think when you’re looking at spending this kind of money on a handgun, it should be purposefully spent. I’m glad you enjoy your Staccatos and they’ve been good to you; if I had a different experience 3 years ago, I may have developed a different opinion.

I’d buy an RIA Tac Ultra before I’d buy a first run Prodigy…at least there’s an aftermarket for the RIA and it’s half the price.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Okay, so Staccato vs Wilson (since people think this is a more fair matchup), would the quality be roughly the same between the brands?

I also have a Staccato P, steel frame model (photo in the 1911 thread). Another excellent shooter, but I have to say that the Wilson EDC has a more refined fit and finish. The Staccato is a 2011 (frame + grip module) while the Wilson is a 1911 (frame/grip frame + grip panels), but both double-stack 9mm handguns. The grip on the Staccato is noticeably larger, fatter than the EDC. The Staccato is super reliable, a flat shooter, and one of my more accurate shooters (along with the EDC). Less pricey than the Wilson, also made in Georgetown TX.

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I think when you’re looking at spending this kind of money on a handgun, it should be purposefully spent. I’m glad you enjoy your Staccatos and they’ve been good to you; if I had a different experience 3 years ago, I may have developed a different opinion.
    @toddnjoyce: We're pretty near each other, so perhaps we'll have an occasion to meet up. NOT trying to change your opinion, but the Staccato XL and XC are just fun to shoot. Happy to let you play.:)

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I’m not an expert on either of these guns, but the Wilson EDC 9 in the picture is a different gun than the EDC X9. It may have just been an error in posting, but just thought I would point it out to be sure that the right gun is being compared.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m not an expert on either of these guns, but the Wilson EDC 9 in the picture is a different gun than the EDC X9. It may have just been an error in posting, but just thought I would point it out to be sure that the right gun is being compared.

If you’re referring to mine, it’s an X9. The EDC 9 is single stack and runs a different frame than the X9.

Top Bottom