Patriot Mobile

Wilson Combat EDC X9 vs Springfield Armory Prodigy: Which 9mm "1911" would you go for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wilson Combat EDC X9 vs Springfield Armory Prodigy

• Wilson Combat for sure, the best of the best.

Votes: 13 76.5%
    • SA Prodigy is the better gun!

Votes: 2 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    My LGS texted this morning saying he's got a WC EDC X9 and a Prodigy in stock (I was asking him about these guns last week). I'm going to visit the shop after work, and PROBABLY going to take one home.

Yeah I know there is a price difference here ($3,000 vs $1,500), but excluding price, which one do you think will be the better overall firearm? The Wilson Combat is probably one of the most highly reviewed 1911 carry guns over the past 3-4 years. I know their quality is unquestionable. I can't wait to check it out after work.

The Prodigy probably has a slightly more modern feature set, especially being optic ready out of the box.

I haven't owned a firearm from either company. Which way would you go?

Wilson_EDC9.jpg

SA_Prodigy.jpg
    DK Firearms

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Prodigy = first attempt at a DS 9 in a 2011 like config for SA. Already have reports of failures to feed for both models. I’m sure SA will get it sorted as they can make good bank at that price point, but you’re a beta tester right now.

Wilson is a known/proven design AFAIK. If price isn’t a true concern I’d go with Wilson no second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Prodigy = first attempt at a DS 9 in a 2011 like config for SA. Already have reports of failures to feed for both models. I’m sure SA will get it sorted as they can make good bank at that price point, but you’re a beta tester right now.

Wilson is a known/proven design AFAIK. If price isn’t a true concern I’d go with Wilson no second thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. The gun just came out, and it's already having problems? Crazy.

I've been reading reviews of the WC, and everyone who has daily carried the gun (instead of keeping it in the safe) has loved it.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Two very different markets that these guns are aimed at. The WC is a hand fitted and tuned gun. The Prodigy is pretty much a mass produced assembly line gun. Not saying the prodigy is bad, as I do not have one. If I had the money to get a WC, I would got for the WC.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Two very different markets that these guns are aimed at. The WC is a hand fitted and tuned gun. The Prodigy is pretty much a mass produced assembly line gun. Not saying the prodigy is bad, as I do not have one. If I had the money to get a WC, I would got for the WC.

Yeah I am learning towards the WC now that I know the Prodigy is having some teething problems. I don't have any room in my gun room for a gun that isn't reliable.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Kind of like asking whether you should swallow a truck’s cock or marry a hot chick with a trust fund.

bc37c150d5bfa7861c25c3e4dc5075e0.jpg

ETA: my EDC has about 5k rounds thru the pipe with three total FTF on shitty reloads. Yes, I EDC my X9.

Damn. Looks like I am joining the Wilson Combat club fairly soon.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Run the 15-rd mag for CC and carry the 18 as a spare. Those couple of mm’s make a ton of difference is concealability.
    Got it!

I noticed your gun has the fluted barrel, but I've seen some pictures online of the EDC9 without the fluted barrel. Was that an option when these first came out?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yeah hard choice - a Wilson Combat with solid rep, or another imported gun of questionable quality by Springfield. Wilson every day, twice on Sunday.

If you want two options that would actually be hard to chose from - a Wilson Combat EDC 9 or Staccato C2 - both about the same price tag - the C2 is what the Springfield only wishes it could be.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Yeah I'm kinda disappointed the Prodigy ended up being kind of unreliable. I thought it might provide a lot of bang for the buck.

Top Bottom