• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My father in law died a few months ago. We've inherited a good deal of guns from him since (my MIL is not a "gun person")

This week we've been doing a lot of needed cleaning and beginning the process of demo (house had some mold issues, and has 40 year old carpet) so we have a 40 yard dumpster. While I was cleaning out the garage with the help of my wife, she grabs "a black thing" from a bin that had other misc crap in it - turned out to be a complete barrelled action.

Today we found the stock for it - but no magazine rod for it (for those unfamiliar, as I was until yesterday, the 141 is a tube fed bolt action, with a magazine tube hidden in the butt of the stock, rather than slung under the barrel like on a Henry, Marlin, or like Winchester's own center fire tube fed guns.

The gun is a little rough - dusting of surface rust (no biggie) but the bolt is a bitch to work. Out of the stock, I could not get the bolt ot seat fully. With the stock on it, you reeeally have to push it forward to get the bolt to roll into the firing position, unlocking and pulling it rearward is a real bitch after you get it seated forward. I cannot find anything damaged on the bolt group, it has some...neat... stamped spring steel extractors that slide around the bolt as it works, Even after popping them off, the bolt is a real bear it seat properly. I inspected the chamber and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Going to recheck it tomorrow or Saturday, as it should not be anywhere near that hard to work.

They only made these damn things for 6 years from 1967 to 1973, but thankfully Numrich has stuff for it. $25 for the mag tube component I need.

Anyone have any experience with this gun? It was also sold by Sears with their house brand, from what I understand. Its a neat gun, but being fed from the butt, I don't think its one I would've bought or sought out. My wifey has no sentimental attachment to it - so if I can get it working and slicked up a little, I may try to offload it to fund other gun projects - or maybe grab up a Ruger American rimfire (had the 22 inch version a few years ago, I want the 18 inch if I can find one).
    Lynx Defense

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Neat little rifle. I have heard of them, and seen a couple at gun shows.

I would start with a deep cleaning first and foremost! Doing that and some quality gun oil might get things back to working smoothly.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    It is based on one of JMB's last designs and continues to be popular today as the Browning SA-22 and likely others. Is the one you found also a breakdown version?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My mother's uncle had one out on his farm. Shot many a fence post with that thing. It was a great rifle. The mag tube in the stock seems odd, but it worked very well.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It is based on one of JMB's last designs and continues to be popular today as the Browning SA-22 and likely others. Is the one you found also a breakdown version?

Negative on break down version. This I think was the "nicer" iteration, as it has darker, fairly decent wood vs the blonde, bland wood I read that the Sears branded guns got.

And for kbaxter60...

dgSq0P4.jpg

4x1taTT.jpg

boxggfl.jpg

Here's a family photo of all my rimfire rifles at the moment, with the new arrival smack dab in the middle.

YdsFqjB.jpg

Favorite of the bunch is the Marlin model 60 - the very first .22 I shot was a Model 60, and the very first one I bought myself was a model 60. This one is a bit fancier stocked version, which I like. I dig checkered wood, this one needs the metal refinished but they're just a damn handy little rifle. I'll take a Marlin 60 over a 10/22 any day of the week.

I like bolt action .22's as well, and maybe actually moreso than .22 semi autos (even the Mod 60) - its really easy with a semi to get in a habit of pulling the trigger quickly. The bolt gun makes you take things a bit slower, which I dig. One of my favorite handy little bolt .22's was actually a Marlin 915YS - bought one almost 20 years ago during my first marriage - taught my step daughter how to shoot on one when she was 5. It was such a handy little gun though, I enjoyed shooting it as much as she did. After her mom and I divorced, I wound up selling the gun to a friend of mine who wanted it to teach his son how to shoot, and he wound up having a daughter a few years later, and I believe he used it to teach her how to shoot a rifle as well.

My own son just turned 9, I'm easing him into shooting as he's taken a bit more to get to a point where he has the attention span and focus than my step daughter did. I want to get another shot stocked single shot .22 for him to learn on, right now he's got a Daisy BB gun, and he's gotten a little trigger time on some of my guns. I had a Ruger American Rimfire a few years ago that was just too long a LOP for him to shoot well with.

Attachments

• dgSq0P4.jpg
      dgSq0P4.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 572
    • 4x1taTT.jpg
      4x1taTT.jpg
      874.2 KB · Views: 569
    • boxggfl.jpg
      boxggfl.jpg
      812.8 KB · Views: 557
    • YdsFqjB.jpg
      YdsFqjB.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 570
    Reactions: jar

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Speaking of old Marlins; I have an old JC Higgins Sear & Roebuck Model 42 (not the 42DL). It was only sold for two years and is a bolt action magazine fed Marlin 80. I have absolutely no idea of how many rounds I shot through it since Ike was President but it still functions as it should and is still among the most accurate 22 rifles I've even shot.

The last time I did shoot it I put the old Weaver 4x scope it came with back on and honestly, I can't even imagine how I ever used that setup. But the scope does need some external TLC, I fear the finish on the Ocular is pretty fubar but the rest still pretty good.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom