Can anyone give me an idea of the range and accuracy of the 30/30
    lever action Winchester.
    Venture Surplus ad

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    My opinion only: fun gun for short range plinking and hunting not to exceed deer size animals. Effective range of .30-30 in lever action rifle is 100 yards or less and accuracy is so-so with open sights. Combination is NOT as effective or accurate as a typical bolt action rifle in .308, .270 or other high power center fire caliber. YMMV

Good shooting and be safe.
    LB

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    The 30-30 is popular in areas where long-range shots are not the norm, and is frequently described as a "brush gun." I've heard of ~200 yard shots, but those seem to be about the maximum. Excessive bullet drop past 100 yards seems to be most of the issue with accuracy (and lethality).

I've heard the claim made that the 30-30 cartridge has put more venison on kitchen tables than any other rifle cartridge and that its popularity has only recently been eclipsed by the availability of cheap SKS rifles and steel-cased 7.62x39, but I don't have any references to back up that claim. The cartridge has certainly fallen by the wayside of the gun-owning public's imagination with newer, flatter-shooting cartridges that don't have the handicap of being derived from a low-pressure black powder round with the additional ding of flat-nose bullets for use in tube magazines.

FIREDAVIS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have a 30-30 and use hornadys new leverevolution ammo. Check out hornadys website it has alot of info on this new line of 30-30. Makes a brush gun very reliable at a hundred yards. I have shot a couple of hogs with mine inside of hundred yards and just dropped them in their tracks. They say this ammo is good out to 300 yards but I dont have a need for that so I havent tried it.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Honady's Leverevolution puts a resilient ballistic tip on traditional lever-action cartridges for improved long-range performance.

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    The real question is how far can you routinely hit a paper plate with one from? If I am sitting, I am not too worried about missing it out to say 150 to 200 yrds with my peep sighted pre-64 Win 94. If I were to get a Texas sized buck in my sights in under 200 yrds, I think it would do the job just fine.

The 30/30 is not a "sexy" round, it is more a get the job done if you do your part. At longer ranges it is not as forgiving of a bad shot like say a 300 win mag would be one a hill country deer.

Here is what my 30/30 did at 100 yrds off the bench.

94_target.jpg

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have a winchester 94 20 inch barrel with the Burris 2-7x32 pistol scope. I shoot the Hornady Leverevolution rounds out of it now. I can consistantly make 1/2-3/4moa shots at 100 yards with this rifle. And that is on par with any bolt rifle on the market. When it comes to lock up, and rigidity, lever action and bolt action are at the same level.

Previous loads of 30-30 rounds are very flat on the tip making the round drop faster, and be slightly inaccurate. The lever evolution round is leaps and bounds better than regular 30-30 rounds. You can make cold bore first shot hits with this round to 500 meters with proper sight adjustments. If you want good shots to 300 yards, just sight your rifle in to shoot 3 inches high at 100. You will shoot 0.2 inches high at 200, and 12 inches low at 300. Just compensate on the fly.

I have some rediculous experience with this rifle, and have taken large bucks out to 300 yards. It just takes a steady hand, and knowing how your weapon shoots.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I personally wouldn't try to shoot a deer beyond 100-150 yards with open sights on a .30-30, but that is my personal opinion based on my personal experience with my personal rifle.

That new Hornady ammo is supposed to really improve .30-30 performance, but I haven't hunted with any yet. Might try it on some hogs soon, though.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    That new Hornady ammo is supposed to really improve .30-30 performance, but I haven't hunted with any yet. Might try it on some hogs soon, though.

It's supposed to require a new magazine "follower" (not sure if that's the correct term for a tubular magazine), or just load a standard round first with the rest being the Leverevolution rounds.

byrom1212

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Greenvill,tx
    I have a 30-30 lever gun and bolt action. I can shoot 250 yards easy using the lever evolution rounds. And have drop very large hogs where i shot them and when i say big im talking 200 to 300 lbs at 100 yards.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    Be scared of the man with only one rifle

A fellow with one gun is likely to know how to use it well.

My father has an old Winchester in 44mag that always hits the ten ring at 100 thus making me suspect the 30-30 in good hands could reach out to 200 or more with little effort from the rifle. I always liked how a lever action rifle just slid behind the seat of a truck with no worrisome edges or bulges to snag. For hog in central or East Texas it may be the ticket.

Chris

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I used to shoot Cowboy Long Range with a 30-30. Accuracy wise I could consistently hit 6" steel plates at ranges out to 125 yards with open sights and cast non gas check bullets. Don't know how they wouldhit a game animal but they spun them plates off the rail.

Joat

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    A friend inherited a Winchester 94 in 30-30. It was made in the 80's. We had some 150gr and 170gr cartridges.

We were shooting fist-sized groups at 50 yards from the bench. This was our first time with the rifle. My first with a lever action, I think it was his first time with a centerfire bigger than .222.

The sights were similar to those found on an air rifle, like a Daisy.

It's a carbine. So it's basically a somewhere between a pistol and a bolt action rifle, <100 yards for consistent kills with a novice shooter. A scope would do wonders. 150gr .30 caliber is no slouch. It's just slow leading to a modest trajectory compared to .308 Win, .30-06, and 300 Win Mag.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    .30-30 ammo seems kind of expensive from what I've seen about $20 a box for 20 rounds. Is this excessive or is it normal? I'd love to get a Winchester .30-30 for plinking but if the ammo is that expensive forget it. I'm also willing to reload my brass, so would it be worth it???

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    The .30 WCF, or .30/30 was a long range wonder when it hit the market. BTW, it was not a transition from black to smokeless, it was always loaded with smokeless. Even shooting at point blank, with no holdover, you can easily stay in a whitetail's kill zone out to 150 yards, and even farther IF you know your load's trajectory. The factory sights are not the greatest, but are useable. Most folks are addicted to scopes, and can't shoot irons. If they really bother you, install an aperature rear sight, like Lyman's or William's.

I've got two 94's in .30/30, one 20 inch carbine, and a well worn 70's era carbine that I cut to a trapper length. It is my always there long gun when out and about, easy to carry, and plenty accurate enough to hit with. Favorite load is Lee's 170 grain GCFN, and IMR-4198.

CowDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    Until the early 1960s, or so, the .30-30 was the predominant deer rifle in use in this country. It remained the number one reloaded cartridge for another decade or more. There is a reason for this. It\'s a good gun/cartridge combination. There is low recoil, good accuracy, though usually not quite to bolt action standards, and nice weight and size, not to mention the good looks, or that the lever actions are a lot of fun to shoot.

With factory ammunition, the 150 grain bullet develops 1902 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, and 858 ft-lbs at 200 yards. The 170 grain bullet develops 1827 ft-lbs at the muzzle and retains 989 ft-lbs at 200 yards. The new Hornady LeveRevolution ammunition will beat these old ballistics by a significant margin, but I haven\'t saved the numbers, yet. The old ammunition is clearly a 200 yard or less cartridge, and as always, bullet placement is the number one factor.

The accuracy you will have will vary from gun to gun. Every one I\'ve shot was capable of better accuracy than I can produce. I\'ve never seen one in good condition that was more that 2 1/2 minutes of angle, again, depending on shooters better than me, and there seems to be a lot of them. Marlins are even better, if you are so inclined.
    cd

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    It's supposed to require a new magazine "follower" (not sure if that's the correct term for a tubular magazine), or just load a standard round first with the rest being the Leverevolution rounds.

First I've heard of that one. Have shot been shooting LE in my 336 with the factory follower in it since I got it.

Top Bottom