Winchester Model 52B - What is it worth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The original 52B was introduced in 1940 and had a 5 shot detachable magazine. A 100% rifle would go for around $2500 to whatever. They stopped production in 1978. Serial numbers ended with E 125315. Prior to 1968 they just had a number, no E prefix.

The 52B was re-issued in 1993. The re-issued rifle has a steel buttplate, forearm adjusting screw and B-type stock with small cheekpiece. They made 6,250 of them. If it is the re-issued rifle, you're looking at around $700 for a 100% gun. I don't have the serial number range for the newer rifles.

Strelok

Ста́лкер
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Balcones Fault
    Bullseye Shooter

Thanks for the information.

It has no E and is it's only 5 numbers ( 5 X X X X )
    It has a large cheekpiece wooden stock but no scope.
    It's in good condition but has no accessories. I would
    say it's most likely from around the 1950s or so. I tried
    to see at Gunbroker but people are asking $1,000 for
    one, $2,000 for another and a third for over $3,000.
    And I realize that just because people are asking
    for that doesn't mean they'll get it. It's just really
    hard to determine what something is worth that way.

armadillo

Thanks for replying too. I wish it had a scope.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Serial numbers for 1941 started at 50317. 1946 production started at 56080 and 1947 started at 60158, so you're between 1941 and 1947.

You're right, depending on condition you could be anywhere from $1000 on up.

I think I read something on the CMP forum where they might be getting some 52s to sell, but they're probably the newer production model, not one like your's. I'll have to go back and do a search of their old posts and see if I can find that.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The 52 (all variations) is chambered for the .22 LR. They were mostly used in NRA Smallbore rifle matches. They were "THE" rifle to use back in the 1940s through the 1970s for Smallbore matches along with the Remington 40X in .22 LR. The 40X also came in some centerfire cartridges.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Also have a model 52 inherited from my father. In fact I shot it yesterday. My buddy who shot it too said the "accuracy and perfect trigger pull" was an experience he will never forget. This guy is a true gun person; shoots weekly etc.

Your model 52B may be worth 2K in perfect condition. If it is starting to show it's age, like mine is, it's more like 850.

There is no modern rifle you can compare it to. It's a rifleman's rifle from Winchester's golden age of quality.

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Most 52Bs came with a 28" heavy target barrel. The 24" sporter barrel with sporter stock was not as common and is much more valuable than the target version. The sporter was available with or without iron sights.

Top Bottom