• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Ok, not only did I score the cheap Ruger 10/22 last week but I'm digging through a closet earlier today and I discover this old 22 covered up in the corner of the closet. It belonged to my wife's late grandfather. She took possession after his death several years ago and we had both forgotten about it.

It's a Winchester Model 67
    22 S.L.ORL.R

Nothing else on it. In very rough condition but it's not for sale, we're both wondering if there is a way to identify when it was made. I looked on the internet and see they were produced from 1934 thru 1960. Just curious if any of you could help me identify exactly what we have? All I know it was a cheap rifle that originally sold for $5.50 in 1934 and had increased to a whopping price of $18.95 in 1960. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Winchester Model 67.jpg
    Texas SOT

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    What you have found is correct. Not sure but it appears you have one made after 1938 or 39. Not sure when, but earlier had finger grooves and exposed barrel screw. Approximate date can be determined by wether or not the trigger and guard are chromed. If ig has a serial number, earlier ones did not. Don't remember what year they added them. Also, is it a youth model? If it is, IIRC, DO NOT touch the finish on any part of it. They are pretty rare and desirable by collectors. But only if original. The full size are pretty common though.
    They were well made guns for being so cheap and many of them still shoot extremely well with few breakdowns.
    Really cool find. I have one too, but mine is, well different.
    I realize you are new, but if you come to Hicksville on April 4th, let me know. I'll bring mine. Might anyway just for kids to shoot.
    Winchestet has info the history of them on the website or you can call the Winchester historian.
    Clean it, lube it and shoot it. They are nice little rifles. Enjoy.
    Oh yeah, I got mine from Papaw, he taught us to shoot with it. One of my most treasured possesions.
    And do jot strip the barrel it at all possible. Mine would not re-blue.

Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Well I couldn't stand it so after looking everything over I took and cleaned the barrel and as rough at the rifle looks the bore of the barrel looks extremely good. So I load it with a shell (as my wife has this "do you really think this is a good idea" look on her face) and it worked like a champ. Put a couple more rounds through it and it functions flawlessly. Through my search for info it's obvious I'll probably never determine what year it was manufactured but according to info I've read it was probably between the late 1930's to 1950. I'm sure there are thousands of these still around but to have one that belonged to my wife's grandfather and know it's still 100% original and the fact that it works as designed still today is priceless to us. What a cool piece. Probably our most prized piece in our collection. After all, isn't this what it's all about.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Does it have a serial number?
    Is it a youth model?
    Chrome trigger and guard?
    Those will narrow down the age.
    Mine was kept in a shed on a bayou. I had no choice to refinish it. Beautiful gun and works great.
    Bet she would enooy if too.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have one also. They are simple rimfires and fun to shoot. The good thing is that they are 'single-shot' so it takes some effort to 'waste ammo' one-at-a-time. I also have a model 68 which is basically the same except for the sights.

I did remove the stock and add some ID marks to the barrel retainer mount dovetailed in the receiver in case it gets stolen. Just something like a letter/number. Nothing obtrusive.

bob

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Bought three of those - one is a 99% gun that now belongs to my son. The other two have no blueing left, but the bores are bright & the stocks unmarred.

Nice simple little rifles:

36a15b45d01fb708704422b4d7fa1b2ca754339.jpg

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I have pre 1936 model 67 with the finger grooves that I inherited from my grandparents. They traded for the rifle in the late 40s shortly after getting married. They told me some of their best dates together were hunting for rabbits when they didn't have money to buy food. We used to use it to shoot mistletoe out if the tree when I was young. Only way I will ever let go of it is to pass it on to one of my kids.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Same with mine.
    The full size with finger groves, from what I was told, is very rare. As ate the youth models.
    Mine will go to one of the boys.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    jrbfishn is your rifle drilled and tapped for a scope? Mine has been and I was wondering if that was an after market thing or if it came like that from the factory.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No mine is not. Later models may have been. If you are going to Hicksville, I will have it there if you want to see it. Mine is ,,,,,unusual.

medic_cob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    I will not be there. I am not a native Texan. Just here training to be a physician assistant through the military. I only have about 3.5 weeks left and then moving to GA for the Phase II portion of the program. So we are busy prepping for our move.As far as my rifle being drilled and tapped for a scope I did see a few pics if others like it online. I definitely have one of the earliest models.

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I will not be there. I am not a native Texan. Just here training to be a physician assistant through the military. I only have about 3.5 weeks left and then moving to GA for the Phase II portion of the program. So we are busy prepping for our move.As far as my rifle being drilled and tapped for a scope I did see a few pics if others like it online. I definitely have one of the earliest models.
    Possible. Eother way, they are great shooters and a lot of fun. Great little rigle to teach with.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom