• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have Savage, Winchesters, and Henrys. The Savage (even at 100 years old) is the nicest of the bunch. Winchesters hold their value more, because of name recognition, but Henry makes some very nice rifles. I'd even go so far as to say that the Henry actions are smoother. I've had friends who hunted with Marlins, and it looks like Ruger intends to put quality back into that brand. All of these rifles are fun to shoot and will perform well. If you find one you like out of these 4 brands, I don't think you will regret it.
    DK Firearms

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    With the entry of Henry into the market, they have my attention.

Ummm...Henry started making rifles for the US Army (The Union) in 1862.

Despite them being American made, I cannot tell recommend them myself. They are made for the cowboy crowd for looks over performance.

Winchester was a good one to look at when they actually made Winchester rifles. Now they're Miroku rifles with the Winchester name.

I don't consider The Marlin for two reasons. The 1892 is a superior design over the 1894 and Marlinitis has caused an absurd false price increase in the last five years. Marlin never made an 1892 copy to my knowledge.

Yep, I am a fan of Rossi for a couple reasons. They're cheap compared to the others and the "bad ones" are only from a few years while Taurus (Braztech) owned them (Rossi started importing rifles to the US in the '70's). Braztech did start messing stuff up until almost 2000. The current manfacturer (CBC) is making good rifles from all accounts. CBC redid the entire factory and process starting in 2019.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    IMO the Winchester and Henry rifles of today are NOT the Winchester and Henry rifles of yesteryear.
    The currently produced Henry rifles are decent. Personally I don’t care for them because the stock length is too long for me. I can’t shoulder them up easily.
    The currently produced Winchester rifles are very good quality. I’m currently searching for a ‘92 in 44mag. I’ll get one eventually.

The original 1860 Henry design is produced today by Uberti and Henry.
    Other than the historical coolness of it, it’s a weak action and has to be fired with cream puff powered ammo. They’re heavy and the sights suck. Another danger with it is magazine tube detonation if the follower is allowed to slap down. You must load the thing carefully. Unless you just gotta I recommend yo go with an 1873.

If you have to money and time to search a vintage Winchester is the way to go.
    The sky is the limit here. Just be prepared to cough up a sizable chunk of moola when you find the one you want. The vintage 1892 guns aren’t available in modern calibers either.

Marlins are good to go. Their 1894 is a good rifle. The prices they’re bringing today is nuts. They’re not THAT good.

I can’t comment on the Rossi guns as I have no up to date experiences with them.
    About thirty years ago I had a Rossi 1892 SRC that was an excellent little gun.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have all 4 brands.

Love the Savage lever in 300 Savage. Smooth as silk. Very accurate. But it’s a nice hunting rifle that happens to be a lever action. The other three are very similar to each other, but different than the Savage.

My Henry is a 22LR. I like it a lot. Very smooth action. Accurate. The wood is decent but it’s not a fancy gun.

Winchester is a 44 mag. Wood is decent and it’s accurate. Likely the most valuable.

Marlin is a 30-30. Wood is ok. Vary accurate. I’ve shot lots of critters with it. Function is nice but it ain’t fancy.

If you are buying a 30-30, I suggest the Marlin 336 or the Winchester. Marlin will cost less. Both will be good shooters. I have no experience with the side gate loader.

Last edited:

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Lever actions are really hot in the gun market right now. They have made a strong comeback. The problem with that is there is basically ziltch for options off the shelf unless you get lucky. You're pretty much limited to the secondhand market which can get pretty crazy with prices or possibly order online from somewhere. I wouldn't get to tied up in a brand. I'd be more interested in a deal. I have owned a 51 Winchester 94, Rossi 92 357, currently have a Henry 22 and a handful of older Marlins. They are all good rifles. Find one with the features you like at price you can afford and snatch it up.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Had my bro's pre '64 Win '94 for decades after he passed. Sold it a while back. Kept my 336 Marlin. Both straight wrist. Don't make either of them anymore. Sad.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    1954-55 production.

Attachments

• 20220517_124219.jpg
      20220517_124219.jpg
      464.8 KB · Views: 64

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Would love to have one of the new Ruger Marlin 1985 45-70's. Not willing to pay the price, though.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have to laugh. The title is Winchester vs. Henry, and immediately many throw in different brands.

To me, in the vs. part, Winchester is usually the more expensive. As far as 30-30, my dad had a Winchester in 30-30, so that was my main reasoning for me wanting one. I haven't had any problems with my Henry's although, they aren't side gate loading like the Winchester. I would say to go somewhere where you can compare side by side, just remember, there will be a price difference.

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Well, we don’t know what your budget is. I’m a Winchester fan, let’s get that out of the way.

I have three Winchesters, an 1873, an 1892, and of course, an 1894. The newest is 70 some years old, the 1894. It’s post war, I think 1947-48, without looking.

All three are completely different actions. The ‘73 and ‘92 are pistol caliber, where the ‘94 is rifle caliber.

When you rack a ‘73, it makes a beautiful sound as the steel and the brass work together. It would be my recommendation. It’s my favorite. A ‘73 from Uberti or Henry will function fine, and is very enjoyable to shoot, but, keep in mind, it’s a pistol caliber.

If you want a rifle caliber for deer hunting or whatever, get the ‘94 or a Marlin 336.

Good luck!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Well, we don’t know what your budget is. I’m a Winchester fan, let’s get that out of the way.

I have three Winchesters, an 1873, an 1892, and of course, an 1894. The newest is 70 some years old, the 1894. It’s post war, I think 1947-48, without looking.

All three are completely different actions. The ‘73 and ‘92 are pistol caliber, where the ‘94 is rifle caliber.

When you rack a ‘73, it makes a beautiful sound as the steel and the brass work together. It would be my recommendation. It’s my favorite. A ‘73 from Uberti or Henry will function fine, and is very enjoyable to shoot, but, keep in mind, it’s a pistol caliber.

If you want a rifle caliber for deer hunting or whatever, get the ‘94 or a Marlin 336.

Good luck!
    That last paragraph is an ignorant statement.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom