• ...and so much more!
  • Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    Anyone familiar with this stuff?

I know each rifle is different as far as tastes, but just trying to find out a general consensus.

Just saw multiple 525 round boxes for $22 at Academy by the house.

Passed b/c I didn't want that many of something I knew nothing about.

If feedback is positive, I might go back and pick up a box.

MK

Sent from somewhere. now Free
    Gun Zone Deals

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Winchester westerns are just ok in my opinion. They do fine in single-shots. revolvers, lever actions, and bolt rifles but can be sketchy on semi-autos. YMMV...

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    I would be shooting them out of a Savage MK II F bolt gun, so cycling is not a concern. I was more curious about accuracy/consistency.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    The ammo you are talking about is good for plinking. Not quite as good as 555 & M-22. When they have it, Wal Mart sells 1000 rnds. of M-22 for $ 48.00 + tax.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    I bought some Winchester 555 and 333 at Wal-Mart a year or so back... they didn't perform well in my guns... those you say may be different, but like you I'd be cautious unless it's all you can find.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Plinking ammo. Fine for that, but don't expect great target groups. There is a place for such ammo. Plinking. Shoting tin cans and similar targets at 15-25 yards. Or just at a commercial range as long as you know the limitations of the ammo. Fun stuff which is where such .22 ammo shines. I pick up some when I come across it at reasonable prices.

Lame Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I was surprised yesterday to see 10 boxes of CCI Mini Mag 100 count boxes on the shelf at the local Wal Mart. It was $ 7.95 a box. I didn't buy any because I don't shoot it, but I got on the horn to a couple of fellow shooters who do. They both scored 3 boxes ea.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    1. Was it the 36 grain HP rated at 1280 fps?

2. What's the gun it will feed?

Anytime I find Winchester 40 grain copper plated HP DynaPoints (which has not been the case for several years), I'll buy all I can afford. I have a Ruger 10-22 target rifle that drills hole upon hole at 50 yards with that ammo.

.22 LR guns are picky about ammo (even with guns from the same production line). And, different lots of the same .22 ammo yield different results.

That is the fun/frustration of .22 guns/ammo. Keep shooting them until you find what works.

Buy a box (doubt they are still on the shelf, though)!

When I have .22LR ammo that sux in my guns, I just give it away to another shooter at the range. Usually get a WTF look, until they figure out it is free.

I've given away lots of "Golden Bullets."

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I'll put it this way. Its bulk ammo. I've shot a lot of different brands mostly through Ruger and marlin semi autos. Federal bulk is the best. Auto match being best (bulk). Second would be m-22, Winchester bulk. The shittiest bulk is golden bullets. Ymmv.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Fortunately, I have two 22lr wheel guns to help use up the stuff that won't cycle in my SIG 229. It CAN be darned frustrating(auto-loading 22lr) to find bulk stuff that runs much better than 'match' grade, but it's nice to have another 'outlet' for it!

I've got a marketing degree and a whole bunch of retail experience, but I'll be switched if I can figure how 'they' can make money selling a decent, clean 22lr for 3-5 cents a round at retail.(I know, the 3-cent days are likely behind us!). I ain't complainin' though! :)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Like the others said, its good plinking ammo. I have a couple boxes of that stuff I use for plinking. If you are trying to shoot small groups, it likely won't do it. My 10-22 will cycle it fine.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I just pulled out all my different boxes. The western is the fastest .22 ammo in bulk packs according to the box.
    IMG_20131010_192542_zpsafd39bf7.jpg

Last edited:

Major Kong

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Katy
    All,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am not feeling much remorse on passing it up at this point in time.

The young man that was behind the counter indicated they have been getting in bulk (325 count) CCI Standard Velocity occasionally for roughly the same price. I think I will just be visiting that Academy as often as I can on delivery day and grab some of that when it comes in.

MK

doublenut9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Troy
    I have used Winchester Western in my Ruger 10/22 with no problems. Accuracy is ok, but a lot of that depends on the shooter. The price is real good.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good in the 10/22 and Model 60 as well as bolt guns, even the single shots eat it:p

My 22/45 MKIII is a little pickier with certain HPs and I haven't tried them in it.

As far as accuracy, bulk .23 is not made for target ammo so I've never tried it for groups in any serious way. It hits the clay at 50yrds.....

Top Bottom