• ...and so much more!
  • diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    For the deer hunters in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa it is most certainly is brilliant.
    Not every state uses a 7mm Mag to shoot deer under the feeder like Texas.
    The VAST majority of deer taken in Iowa are taken by shotgun. There was a time that there were only archery, shotgun, and muzzleloader seasons for deer in Iowa. Maybe that has changed; however, Iowa has strongly resisted rifle hunting due to farms/ranches being of such small size--generally.
    Target Sports

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    For the deer hunters in Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa it is most certainly is brilliant.
    Not every state uses a 7mm Mag to shoot deer under the feeder like Texas.
    Those skinny little white tails can be dangerous if wounded maybe?lol. .243 is hard to beat.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Since I been thinking on this leading issue think I mainly had .357 mag wheel guns in mind. Seems as if a lot of the leading issues occur when the bullet is entering the forcing cone. Maybe only a potential problem in wheel guns. Comparing apples to oranges apples ain’t nice. Sorry.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Forget where I first heard that. Gun magazine or some exspurt most likely. Of the various calibers .357 mag seemed to be considered the biggest culprit to get leaded up with fast cast bullets. Back in the Metallic Silhoutte hobby in the 80s everybody I knew plus me...melted down lead wheel weights. Not sure wheel weights are even made out of lead these days. I quit being interested in the hobby quite a while back. Found this link on the topic for them who likes to read.
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/2008/08/preventing-barrel-leading-in-revolvers-using-cast-bullets/

Mass produced cast bullets are generally WAY harder than they need to be. Heck, by those standards, the stuff Elmer Keith was casting with would be considered dead soft (BHN of around 10-12 IIRC. Mass produced lead bullets tend to have a BHN of 18-22). That, along with the fact that they're basically a one shot deal in terms of size tends to cause some issues. The main benefit to casting your own is that you can tailor them to exactly what your gun needs. The wheel weight alloy is still the standard today, and my alloy is pretty close to it. Most manufacturers seem to being trading out lead for zinc for their wheel weights though.

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since I been thinking on this leading issue think I mainly had .357 mag wheel guns in mind. Seems as if a lot of the leading issues occur when the bullet is entering the forcing cone. Maybe only a potential problem in wheel guns. Comparing apples to oranges apples ain’t nice. Sorry.

Here's what the book I posted said about leading around the forcing cone.

Forcing cone -Leading found in the forcing cone proper can be the result of the cast bullet being significantly over-sized relative to groove diameter and being swaged down as it enters the forcing cone. It can also be due to the forcing cone being poorly or roughly cut, or cut off-center (it does happen...). Or it can be due to poor cylinder timing leaving the chamber(s) in poor alignment with the barrel at ignition. This last case will generally have an asymmetric build up on one side or the other, and the revolver will commonly "spit lead".

Immediately in front of the forcing cone -If the leading is observed immediately in front of the forcing cone, then it's almost always due to a constriction in the barrel caused by an overly tight barrel/frame thread. This is most readily diagnosed by slugging the bore, and feeling for added resistance as the slug passes through this portion of the bore. Fire-lapping will usually clean this up pretty quickly and effectively. Hand-lapping requires more knowledge and experience, but allows the shooter to feel when the job is done and results in a more uniform bore surface throughout the length of the barrel.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That article bigwheel linked is right in line with what I've researched on it. I also think you're pretty close to right M88 on the original hardness on the Keith bullets. I thought they were on the soft side too.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Wished I had known my old 357 mag Thompson Contender single shot could tolerate some high stepping cast bullets. I coulda reached out a long way and made big noise lol.

Top Bottom