• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's handy dandy tool. Besides breaking glass. You can use it on wood to make a starter hole for screw in hooks.

As an actual center punch. It's the bees knees. I have two. On one I replaced the spring to a lighter one. I couldn't tell where I got the spring. I've had both for awhile. Small and easy to fit in a pocket too.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    In a pinch, the seatbelt buckle will work - just hit the glass with the smallest point possible of the buckle, and HARD. If you get into trouble and can't find whatever tool you got to make the job easier, the corner of the buckle will work. Blunt force doesn't work, you need to create a stress riser at a single point - the rest is physics (the entire window will near instantaneously shatter).

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    I've read lots of reviews (mostly on Amazon!!) and right now, I'm looking at & liking
    the keychain-sized resqme brand spring loaded version. Do any of you have real world experience with breaking a window with one of these type tools?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G6C18AG/ref=twister_B01M8NUUYF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
    Either spring-loaded or hammer type.

After seeing a demo I put the resqme in my daughter's and wife's cars. Breaks glass and gives a means to cut seat belts. My ambulance/rescue days saw numerous needs to cut people out of the belts (and that was when they were first required) shortly after the civil war.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    We have this style on the trucks....might be a little overkill for you.

81VtvcWmc6L._SX679_.jpg

I carry the center punch in my pocket. Cant count how many windows Ive popped. Never used a Resqme so I couldnt say.

While on the subject, dont make the mistake of thinking your going to pop a front or rear window. These will only work on the side windows.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Here I assumed all y'all was carryin' guns on you at all times already, and a knife in the glovebox...

Pro tip: if you're trying to punch out car glass, hit it at a corner instead of the center. Hitting it in a corner will crumble the glass at the slightest touch (in comparison) whereas hitting it dead center will make the tool bounce back in your face and make you look silly. Goes for windshields (laminated) and side and rear windows (made to crumble).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Here I assumed all y'all was carryin' guns on you at all times already, and a knife in the glovebox...

Pro tip: if you're trying to punch out car glass, hit it at a corner instead of the center. Hitting it in a corner will crumble the glass at the slightest touch (in comparison) whereas hitting it dead center will make the tool bounce back in your face and make you look silly. Goes for windshields (laminated) and side and rear windows (made to crumble).

I agree. Punch it about an inch in from the edge and the entire glass shatters. Only the windshield doesn't shatter. It'll mess it up and bad but it won't shatter the windshield. Crash protection and such.

The first time I saw an automatic center punch used was in a body shop. On some Pontiac quarter glasses. They were glued in. Easy way to get it out was to bust it.

I saw a grown man swing a 3 pound shop hammer at the glass. It'd bounce off. Another guy tried it. It bounced off. Then the third guy walks up with the center punch. Click' and it destroyed it.

Impressive safety with a hammer. Nothing with a center punch.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worked in a glass shop for 5yrs. Anything that has a spring in it will do the trick. I use to carry one about the size of a punch.

On a side note... working in a glass shop has ruined many a good movies/shows for me. I.e. People punching side windows on cars... bullets leaving holes in side windows.... windshields shattering out.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I agree. Punch it about an inch in from the edge and the entire glass shatters. Only the windshield doesn't shatter. It'll mess it up and bad but it won't shatter the windshield. Crash protection and such.

Right. But you can make a hole and then rip it out like the foil lid on a nutella jar ;)

Top Bottom