• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Anyone else getting a Windows update that takes hours to install? I got the notification on my desktop for the update and clicked install. 4 hours later it was still sitting at 90% with that little wheel spinning around. I cancelled the install and selected "update at night". So this morning I wake up at 5:30 and my Desktop is sitting at the 90% window again. That was almost 2 hours ago and I don't know how long it was going before that.

The first time I tried to install the update it took about 2 hours to get to the 90% mark, then stayed at 90 for another 2 hours. The lap top I'm on now updated a few days ago, but it seems like it only took 10 minutes or so.

Any ideas as to what's going on here?
    Hurley's Gold

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Grrrrr.... don't even talk to me about windows 10 updates! Every time they issue an update it deletes the "Games" icon on my 93 yo mothers desktop and I have to run a "restore previous version" to get'em back.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I tried windows 10 when it came out and didn't like it. I went back to Windows 7 on my deck top, lap top and wifes lap top. On Windows 7, I can do everything I need to without any issues. Where I don't mind change, I just not crazy about all of the crap on Windows 10.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Yesterday's patch Tuesday was bigger than usual, I don't know what was specifically in it because ... well I don't particularly care and I have others who manage that for us. Got on my radar when company owner was working from home yesterday and couldn't remotely connect to his machine, so I went to his office to find it waiting to confirm update+restart. Took about 25 minutes.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    when I was having windows 10 update problems it ended up being my wireless network card No new updates for it so the only fix was to remove the wireless card and use a usb dongle or to use a hardwire. After the update I could plug the network card back in and everything worked.

It has happened on 2-3 updates and took forever to figure out it was the wireless network card. I just happened on an article about it and it turned out I had the same board in my system.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    It took several months to get the latest 2 updates to work. It would say downloading forever. Mon night I got all updates installed. Wed night 3 that were installed Mon showed not installed. Did it again and this time it shows all updated. At 3AM showed all installed. That was an hour before I finished the install. Win is crazy.

If it's the network card that's an easy fix. I can plug in an Ethernet cable and turn off the card.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    The update has been stuck at 90% now for at least 4 hours. I'll give it one more hour, then I'm tapping out. Last time I had to reboot the PC to stop the download, then it took 15 minutes to undo all the changes and boot back up.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I tried windows 10 when it came out and didn't like it. I went back to Windows 7 on my deck top, lap top and wifes lap top. On Windows 7, I can do everything I need to without any issues. Where I don't mind change, I just not crazy about all of the crap on Windows 10.
    I am 110% with you on that. I still run Win7 on the desktop and don't care for 10 at all (well, we do have a newer laptop with 10 and I try to not use it unless I have to). I think that by trying to make Windows all pretty on tablets, they took a major step back in terms of usability for most users. Especially those NOT on tablets.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yesterday's patch Tuesday was bigger than usual, I don't know what was specifically in it because ... well I don't particularly care and I have others who manage that for us. Got on my radar when company owner was working from home yesterday and couldn't remotely connect to his machine, so I went to his office to find it waiting to confirm update+restart. Took about 25 minutes.
    You need AMT and remote KVM.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    On Windows 7, I can do everything I need to without any issues.
    That you notice. There's an increasing list of unpatched exploits. You're running a major risk just having it connected to the internet.

That's not to say that MS hasn't completely screwed the pooch with windows 10, but at least they're trying to keep it updated for new threats.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    That you notice. There's an increasing list of unpatched exploits. You're running a major risk just having it connected to the internet.

That's not to say that MS hasn't completely screwed the pooch with windows 10, but at least they're trying to keep it updated for new threats.

Beat me to the punch. I probably have 10 customers a month asking me to troubleshoot Win7 They're upset that we won't support it. Why would we support a 11 year old OS?

And yes. it is RIPE with security exploits. Specifically RAM level access exploits that even my dumbass can figure out how to access. That's a remote exploit too. Unlike the W10 exploits they patch that require access to the physical unit.

If I was you I'd not try to install it for another 2 months. If it still gives you issues you may have to refresh the OS. I typically recommend reinstalling the OS fresh every 2 years.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Much prefer 7 over 10.

But have been forced to go to 10. The newer computers, even when you have the option to buy 7 loaded on them, just don't run 7 well anymore. And the OEM won't support 7.

Grrr

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    Got the update notice on my desktop this morning, clicked update tonight. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning if it loaded and runs.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    ^this. mine took about an hour or two. I set it to go at 9:30 & checked back 1.5 hrs later = done.
    This was my second attempt at the update, so I'm done with it for now. I think I had set it to up date at 11 PM. It was still going at 10:30 this morning so I killed it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You need AMT and remote KVM.
    Depending on landscape in the next 3'ish years, the next refresh may very possibly go Mac. We build a lot of our software in house, with a lot of code in portable libraries or deployed as a web app. The stuff we don't write that doesn't have a non-Windows option would either get ripped and replaced, or possibly delivered via VDI.

Lets face it, Office was kinda the glue that held it all together but even that has slipped away. Not much to sell staying on Windows anymore.

Top Bottom