• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    A LOT LOT of people like BRAINS don't deal with manufacturers and it shows. They run equipment and hardware that runs on legacy code that ONLY windows support. Hell even ubuntu has cut out 16 and 32 bit support. Its 64 or nothing for them. Well that's great, until you have a manufacturing line that produces a critical military component and the custom legacy software that runs those machines ONLY works on 16bit code. LOL there might be a linux distro that supports it but then you have to rewrite the software. Microsoft has a monopoly on those people and they know it. There are power plants that are running programs that were developed for Windows 3.11 and THATS why THAT code (and registries) are still in Windows 10.

Ask me how I know.

So yeah convert over to MAC. That's all good for me. I'm not a Windows Fanboy and I run about 4 OSes through VMs on my home system, but Windows does have reasons to exist. I'm not happy about it, but MAC will not be able to get those customers unless they spend a shit ton of money and resources backbuilding to support legacy code and hardware. NTVDM exists in Windows for a reason.

EDIT-- Just checked the NDA to make sure i can say this. Haliburton has an entire production line that runs a version of MS office that has to be enabled through NTVDM. The reason for it is that the excel sheet that tracks and monitors their entire production line for logistics capabilities as well as the program that CONTROLS THE FREAKING MACHINES ONLY WORKS IN EXCEL 4.0.

The guy that wrote the code has been dead since 1998 and there is no one who understands the operation enough AND has coding capability to rewrite the code to my knowledge

EDIT 2 -- BTW brains if you think APPL is going to charge 300 a head (plus server plus yadda) you're insane. RHEL charges 180 and they're a much cheaper alternative than anything OSX has ever done in the enterprise realm. I'd be shocked if it was less than 600 a seat.
    Texas SOT

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    16 bit Ubuntu?? I never knew there was any version of Linux that wasn't 32 bit.
    I know that ATT Unix and SCO Xenix had a 16bit version LONG time ago.

I'm a big fan of Linux over Windows. Most of the machines where I work are Linux.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    16 bit Ubuntu?? I never knew there was any version of Linux that wasn't 32 bit.
    I know that ATT Unix and SCO Xenix had a 16bit version LONG time ago.

I'm a big fan of Linux over Windows. Most of the machines where I work are Linux.

You can run 16 bit code on 32 bit OSes, you can probably make ARCH 16bit compatible if you know what you're doing.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I'm pretty sure everyone here uses a computer is some capacity. We can all empathize about shitty updates.
    Sure we can, still does not make it amaze me any less that such a topic is so popular here. That goes for a lot of other topics as well, even some threads I have started. Gun forum sites are not always what one might expect nor always what the words 'gun forum' portend them to be - or so it seems. Just an observation and an expression of my constant astonishment over that observation from "gun forum" to "gun forum".

Top Bottom