Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Electronics & Video Games' started by oldcop041, Jul 17, 2009.

1. oldcop041

oldcop041 New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    My wife bought a new computer, which came with Vista. She hates it.

Can it be deleted and replaced with Windows XP? If so, would the XP system be expensive?

Thanks

2. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Yes you can delete it. Google "windows xp os "or go to most computer stores and you can pick up a copy of the old os. You should be able to get it with SP3 for around $80 plus shipping. Cheaper elsewhere but that's average I see from a quick google search.

3. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Know what your wife means, I had Win XP, loved it, computer pooped out, bought another, only Vista available, hated it with a passion, didn't remove it and replace with XP....After a couple of years I can now live with it but XP was the best !!!!

4. txsnowman2k2

txsnowman2k2 Member

Apr 14, 2009
    wait till seven is released, you're gonna like it...microcrap finally did it right. am a beta tester and now the rc is out and it's very nice...vista reminds me of when microcrap rushed out melinium (spelling) "me" to the public... i think they learned their lesson with that mess...i think the best have been, win98se(second edition), xp pro(with sp3) and soon, seven...tx

5. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I didn't like Vista when it first came out, but now I like it. It took some time to adjust, but once I did it works great. That and they came out with SP1 and 2 which helped fix the bugs

6. Bigs Wife

Bigs Wife Active Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    im not gonna lie, i miss XP... BUT! once you learn vista, its pretty awesome. you just have to number one, take the time to do so, and number to WANT to do it. it got real easy after i sucked it up and realized i didnt have much of a choice.

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    You want BAD? Try running Vista 64! I bought a Dell Studio in a crunch because my old laptop died in the middle of a project. I didn't realize it had Vista x64 on it. This takes compatibility issues to a new level! After a few months of struggling, tweaking, and hacking, it's tolerable.

Yes, you can wipe out Vista and install XP. Do a little research first, however. Some of your hardware (particularly Dell and HP) MIGHT be licensed to only function with Vista. You'll not be able to find XP drivers in some cases.

Find and download your drivers first. If this is a name brand, check with the manufacturer. They may have an XP driver package for download or on CD.

8. accumack

accumack Member

May 6, 2008
    Bastrop, TX
    If you are having problems try running your old programs in compatibility mode.

9. As previously mentioned, Windows 7 is a better choice, and is currently available from the 'usual sources'.

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Compatibility Mode = "slower than a constipated snail mode"