• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldcop041

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    DFW AREA
    My wife bought a new computer, which came with Vista. She hates it.

Can it be deleted and replaced with Windows XP? If so, would the XP system be expensive?

Thanks
    Guns International

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Yes you can delete it. Google "windows xp os "or go to most computer stores and you can pick up a copy of the old os. You should be able to get it with SP3 for around $80 plus shipping. Cheaper elsewhere but that's average I see from a quick google search.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Know what your wife means, I had Win XP, loved it, computer pooped out, bought another, only Vista available, hated it with a passion, didn't remove it and replace with XP....After a couple of years I can now live with it but XP was the best !!!!

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    wait till seven is released, you're gonna like it...microcrap finally did it right. am a beta tester and now the rc is out and it's very nice...vista reminds me of when microcrap rushed out melinium (spelling) "me" to the public... i think they learned their lesson with that mess...i think the best have been, win98se(second edition), xp pro(with sp3) and soon, seven...tx

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I didn't like Vista when it first came out, but now I like it. It took some time to adjust, but once I did it works great. That and they came out with SP1 and 2 which helped fix the bugs

Bigs Wife

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Cedar Park
    im not gonna lie, i miss XP... BUT! once you learn vista, its pretty awesome. you just have to number one, take the time to do so, and number to WANT to do it. it got real easy after i sucked it up and realized i didnt have much of a choice.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    You want BAD? Try running Vista 64! I bought a Dell Studio in a crunch because my old laptop died in the middle of a project. I didn't realize it had Vista x64 on it. This takes compatibility issues to a new level! After a few months of struggling, tweaking, and hacking, it's tolerable.

Yes, you can wipe out Vista and install XP. Do a little research first, however. Some of your hardware (particularly Dell and HP) MIGHT be licensed to only function with Vista. You'll not be able to find XP drivers in some cases.

Find and download your drivers first. If this is a name brand, check with the manufacturer. They may have an XP driver package for download or on CD.

txsnowman2k2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    "As previously mentioned, Windows 7 is a better choice, and is currently available from the 'usual sources'."....... only in rc to the beta testers in "legit" form...tx...

jmsfmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Fischer
    Work

I was all set to upgrade to 7 but then I read where, using XP, I would have to do a clean install. Then I would have to load all my other programs and then have all of them upgraded. This is a few years of work so needless to say I will not be upgrading to 7.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I didn't like Vista when it first came out, but now I like it. It took some time to adjust, but once I did it works great. That and they came out with SP1 and 2 which helped fix the bugs
    A lot of people said the same thing when XP replaced W98. It is a fact that many of us are just resistant to change in their OS (now if we would have only followed the same path last November).

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I was all set to upgrade to 7 but then I read where, using XP, I would have to do a clean install. Then I would have to load all my other programs and then have all of them upgraded. This is a few years of work so needless to say I will not be upgrading to 7.
    it seems its almost more cost effective if you have xp to buy a new computer

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    A lot of people said the same thing when XP replaced W98. It is a fact that many of us are just resistant to change in their OS (now if we would have only followed the same path last November).

That's probably true, to some extent. I was happy to go to W2K from 98. WinXP was buggy as hell when it first came out. It was stabilized after a series of patches and a service pack, then SP2 came out and broke about 20% of the non-Microsoft Software. Eventually, those problem were ironed out.

Vista is in much the same boat. Part of the problem is Microsoft's move to simplify by overcomplicating. The operating system is bloated; literally millions of lines of code. Most people use less than 25% of the Windows Vista features. Microsoft's idea of security is the perpetual "Are you sure?" Are you REALLY, REALLY sure?" questions. Most users are NEVER sure, but they click YES anyway.

They try to minimize support calls by insulating you from the inner workings of the operating systems, meaning they hide options the power user needs to optimize the OS. They try to build a one-size-fits-all OS that purports to be smarter than the user.

As a consultant/technician, I'm frequently breaking the rules, running command-line utilities, changing routes on the fly, starting/stopping services, etc. With each progression of the Windows OS, these operations become more of a challenge. Yes, I can do them find and there are lots of workarounds. It's just a pain figuring out ways around the OS so I can do my job. Windows 7 is actually a little better in this regard.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Yeah I meant to say ^^^ going from W98 to W2k even though I purposely skipped millennium.

Agreed that Vista was severely bloated and W7 simplifies much of it. Plus many were just 'happy' with the way XP ran even with all of it's issues. I think that one reason was it has been out so long that many people have just learned to deal with those issues.

I still believe that most of the changes are for the good ~ especially when it comes to hardware. You went from jumper/pin setting in hw along with settings in sw, managing IRQ's and port setting and to simply plugging it in (plug 'n play). Anyone who remembers those nightmare days know what I mean.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Yeah I meant to say ^^^ going from W98 to W2k even though I purposely skipped millennium.

Agreed that Vista was severely bloated and W7 simplifies much of it. Plus many were just 'happy' with the way XP ran even with all of it's issues. I think that one reason was it has been out so long that many people have just learned to deal with those issues.

I still believe that most of the changes are for the good ~ especially when it comes to hardware. You went from jumper/pin setting in hw along with settings in sw, managing IRQ's and port setting and to simply plugging it in (plug 'n play). Anyone who remembers those nightmare days know what I mean.

Oh, no argument there. Driver support is generally improved... now! When Vista first came out, drive support was a disaster. There was very little support for legacy hardware. Couple that with the version-locked driver licensing, it was enough to make a preacher curse!

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The largest complaint for Vista/Win7 is how friggin long it takes to boot a computer, especially a laptop. The best computer (Laptop) I have ever had is ASUS 1000HE ($350.00 retail now). It came with XP, a clone of MS Office that opens/edits Excel, Word, and Powerpoint files. It has fast wireless (B,G & N type) built in, enough memory and disk space to do anything. Did I mention 9 HOURS of battery life! It also has an awesome web cam and Skype software, with an array of microphones, so no echo, great sound. Oh, and it boots XP in 22 seconds.

This is the 32nd new computer I have purchased for personal use, the first in 1977. I have three laptops Including the top of the line Dell XPS. ASUS hit a bullseye with this model. Every person that I show it to buys one.

Top Bottom