wolf ammo?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
DALLAS, TX
i would like some honest opinions on wolf ammo specifically the .45 acp and the .223 before i go out and buy anymore. i've shot some of the .45 acp and there was only 1 jam up out of fifty, i haven't shot any of the .223 yet i was thinking about buying 1k rds or so just for practice rounds just wanted to check before i bought any.

308nato

TGT Addict
Mar 9, 2008
Between Tomball & Waller
Think Monarch brass case ,Monarch brass case is all I use and have had no problems with it.
If you use the steel case you could have fail to feed or eject due to the lacquer coating on them.
As your barrel gets hot the finish on the cases gets softand can buildup in the chamber enough
to cause problems sometimes.
The only firearms I use steel case ammo in is my Mosin M44,yugoSKS and my Romanian PSL
because IMO they were made to use it.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
DALLAS, TX
that was gonna be my next question what type of brass ammo would be in the same price range as wolf. is monarch boxer primed i do not know all that much about it?

country_boy

TGT Addict
Feb 7, 2009
Round Rock
Think Monarch brass case ,Monarch brass case is all I use and have had no problems with it.
If you use the steel case you could have fail to feed or eject due to the lacquer coating on them.
As your barrel gets hot the finish on the cases gets softand can buildup in the chamber enough
to cause problems sometimes.
The only firearms I use steel case ammo in is my Mosin M44,yugoSKS and my Romanian PSL
because IMO they were made to use it.

Are you saying that all steel cased ammo has a lacquer finish or just the monarch? The wolf ammo doesnt look to have a lacquer finish to me :confused:

hkusp1

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
DALLAS, TX
Are you saying that all steel cased ammo has a lacquer finish or just the monarch? The wolf ammo doesnt look to have a lacquer finish to me :confused:
he was talking the wolf the new polymer cases will do he same thing as the old lacquer cases will when the chamber get hot enough that poly coat will come off or at least thats my understanding, i would rather have brass anyway so i could reload it i've heard of people reloading steel case ammo but i don't know much about it, i've always heard not to reload steel case for various reasons.

Bullseye Shooter

Apr 28, 2008
Texas Panhandle
Most of the steel case stuff is Berdan primed, so reloading it is a huge pain in the whatever, since you need a special tool to deprime it or you do it hydraulically. And then you would have to find new Berdan primers which is easy if you live in England, but not here. Also, steel rifle cases require a lot more force to resize than brass and I've heard they're not the best thing to run through your dies. I have one friend who has reloaded some steel cased .45 ACP but that was some cases from WW II that were of U.S. manufacture and they were Boxer primed.

Most of the guys on the National Match forum will not shoot Wolf steel cased stuff through their Match ARs. And there's a reason HK rifles have a fluted chamber; to facilitate ejecting steel cases.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
I would not be concerned with running Wolf{ or any other steel cased ammo} through a work gun if it will digest it. Match or hunting guns, no,{ and I would not shoot cheap brass through these either} but a work gun or for practice absolutely.

It will also give you good training on cleaning your gun as the stuff is filthy.

Vellcrow

Aug 8, 2008
Pflugerville
The steel cases get stuck from time to time in an AR, not because of the laquer, but due to the steel case not expanding and sealing the chamber like a brass case does. That lack of expansion causes the dirty, sticky residue from the burnt powder to build up inside the chamber (yes, even in the .005 mm or so of space between the non-expanding case and the chamber wall). That is why even the new poly-coated cases get stuck every now and then.

The steel case will not increase wear on your extractor, it does not hurt the gun. It is a cheaper alternative to brass cased ammo, and you have to accept the limitations of it being training ammo if you choose to buy it.

Okierifleman

Mar 14, 2009
Houston
I would not be concerned with running Wolf{ or any other steel cased ammo} through a work gun if it will digest it. Match or hunting guns, no,{ and I would not shoot cheap brass through these either} but a work gun or for practice absolutely.

It will also give you good training on cleaning your gun as the stuff is filthy.
+1 on this. I run Wolf through my AR's all of the time, never any problems. It is dirty, but I can run 3-400 rounds in a setting before I have to clean. If you want practice loads, they are great. If you want target loads, load them with brass cases.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads