• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    When you respond to 911 calls saying there is a person in a house threatening others with a gun and you shoot someone then it'll matter. Right now it's you blowing hot air.

Who said anyone was threatening anyone with a gun? The call was in reference to an argument over a gun. It's all good though they are only human and grasping the use of the English language can be quite challenging.
    Military Camp

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Who said anyone was threatening anyone with a gun? The call was in reference to an argument over a gun. It's all good though they are only human and grasping the use of the English language can be quite challenging.

Who said the woman was holding a wii controller? The comment I made was about more than this particular event as I assume the comment I responded to or there wouldn't of been that added bit. So much for your comprehension.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I'm not sure what you don't grasp about (only for example) with regards to what was in her hands. Both of my comments were directed specifically at this event.

I'm done here though. Pretty much said my peace with regards to the situation. We just sit back and watch what happens now and see what version of the facts come out. It is nice to know the Rangers are involved as it sounds like they are pretty thorough.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure what you don't grasp about (only for example) with regards to what was in her hands. Both of my comments were directed specifically at this event
    So you are deriding my reading comprehension because only you can make crap up and add it to the narrative? Yeah that's special all right.

Oh I get it, you distort or create addition info to make your point regardless of fact or knowledge and somehow you get pissy because I say it's BS. Here I was giving you credit for speaking to a broader point. If you are speaking to this incident your making up of facts is improper and speaks more to you than to this incident. I reiterate. When it's your job to you can equate your shooting someone with the cops doing so. Doing so now is a logical fallacy. You are making a false equivalency between the situations police are put in on duty and a situation that might occur to you. It's not the same so what results from what might happen to you should have no bearing on what happens to a police officer involved in an entirely different situation.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    The 2 officers, a lt. and a Sgt, were suspended and demoted for changing the training records of the officer involved in the shooting.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    The 2 officers, a lt. and a Sgt, were suspended and demoted for changing the training records of the officer involved in the shooting.

Man, I really hope they didn't go in and intentionally alter records about this guy after the fact to try to make this case look better (in other words, I'm hoping this is something they did for a buddy before this incident completely unrelated and it just came to light because of this incident).
    That's the kind of thing that really helps to encourage strong distrust among the police.
    They are going to make mistakes doing this line of work. They are going to be called into question. That is part and parcel of the job they have.
    But when people go trying to change records to cover up for things........that really leads to distrust.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Man, I really hope they didn't go in and intentionally alter records about this guy after the fact to try to make this case look better (in other words, I'm hoping this is something they did for a buddy before this incident completely unrelated and it just came to light because of this incident).
    That's the kind of thing that really helps to encourage strong distrust among the police.
    They are going to make mistakes doing this line of work. They are going to be called into question. That is part and parcel of the job they have.
    But when people go trying to change records to cover up for things........that really leads to distrust.

Can't disagree. Sometimes the coverup is worse than what was done originally or trying to cover up a small lapse makes you look guilty in something much worse. They haven't released what paperwork they changed and I wonder if instead of covering for the rookie they were trying to cover something they let slide that they shouldn't. I just wanted to point out this has no direct connection to the shooting.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

This appears to be the case. From the linked AAS article:

Dzienowski, Repka and the other supervisors modified Willis’ records “after the shooting in an effort to make sure the records were completed accurately,” according to a statement issued by the sheriff’s office Wednesday.“I honestly don’t believe there was any ill-will or malice,” Pickering said in the statement. “They knew the records were not up to date prior to the incident and were in the process of correcting them.”
    Pickering told the Bastrop Advertiser last month that officials had noticed several weeks before the shooting that some training records of new deputies had not been properly handled. Supervisors had not signed off on the forms that show how well Willis and others performed during field training, he said, and officials had been reviewing the records, tabbing pages that needed signatures and then sending the reports to the appropriate people to sign them.
    Dzienowski took it upon himself to pull Willis’ records after Smith’s death to be signed, Pickering said, but no changes should have been made to the records due to the ongoing investigation into the shooting.

I'm going to be very circumspect in what I say because I was a police officer for a city in Bastrop County for several years and know at least one of the officers involved here from that time. From what I've read, Sheriff Pickering is working VERY hard to ensure that his agency is completely hands-off in this investigation now that the Rangers are involved and is also holding his staff to very high standards, something that prior administrations don't appear to have been able to focus on (for all kinds of reasons, which is another discussion entirely). Like any place in Texas, Bastrop County has several overlapping agencies and is experience a VERY high growth rate in terms of people and development, and that's calling for more resource all around (look at the current EMS situation in Bastrop County for a parallel).

Unlike some other towns in Texas, I don't worry about "looking over my shoulder" or "making sure I'm 2 mph under the speed limit" when I go through Bastrop. I can expect any officer I encounter, whether it be BSCO, a county constable's deputy, or a city police officer from Bastrop, Elgin or Smithville to act professionally if I have reason to encounter them. When I was "in county" as a peace officer, though, I can tell you there were often times that there were only two or three deputies on patrol/response for the ENTIRE county and they absolutely DEPENDED on cooperation from their overlapping city/county (and state, counting DPS and TPWD) brothers to keep citizens safe and themselves, to the degree they could.

It's not surprising that this officer took a more aggressive stance, likely knowing his backup was potentially a LONG way off. Tragic situation, and one that will likely alter the life of this deputy as much as the lives of the family involved, and probably moreso than if he worked for some large, urban department where OIS's are (unfortunately) more common. I hope for his sake the investigation at the very least justifies his actions but I also know that if it doesn't, the Rangers aren't going to gloss it over.

It's actually one of the things that encouraged me to notice that I liked being a paramedic more than a police officer - I got tired of counting the times I was involved in gunpoint situations with teenagers. I carry every day now with my CHL (my TCLEOSE license has long since expired) and I pray I don't ever have to use it... but if it comes down to it there will be no hesitation. I'm much more comfortable with that, though, because I can work to avoid getting into situations where I might be called upon to do so - but when your number comes over the radio, there's not a choice - you respond and handle the situation.

I can still remember the face of each kid that thankfully made the right decision and helped end the confrontation without gunfire. I should probably write a book, but I don't know that I really care to share the stories... none of which I'm ashamed of in any way.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom