• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yea-I couldn't think of the school exactly, but Williams ledger is the one I was told about on Thursday. I know it couldn't have been Friday because I heard about it at the college, and my dept is closed on Friday. So did they have a threat one day after the other??
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In this day & time, it takes a real bozo to make a statement like that. I wouldn't put anything past her and I would take the threat seriously.

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    After a full investigation, my student who said "I'm going to get a gun and start shooting some of these people" was released without discipline or restrictions. In fact, it was stated that I either misunderstood him or I was making the whole thing up! GRRRRRRR!

Flash

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ...teachers armed themselves with a big pair of scissors in their back pockets. Yeah you read that right, freakin' scissors. ... I plan on going to the next school board meeting and also petitioning for armed security.
    Scissors are better than nothing, but it would be better if they could adequately arms themselves. Some districts in Texas have started allowing their teachers who have CHLs to carry if they choose to do so. You should petition for that.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Get a quick access safe and keep your gun ready to go. CPS rules are not laws.

but for foster parents they each have to be locked separately. The gun must be unloaded and locked up. The ammo must be stored somewhere else and also locked.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    So, the first thing the teachers did was to arm themselves with defensive weapons, i.e. scissors. I'm willing to bet that those same two teachers would be adamantly against being allowed to arm themselves with a more effective defensive weapon, a handgun. Weapons are weapons, if you have the mindset to fight an armed intruder with a defensive weapon then why dither over what kind?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    So, the first thing the teachers did was to arm themselves with defensive weapons, i.e. scissors. I'm willing to bet that those same two teachers would be adamantly against being allowed to arm themselves with a more effective defensive weapon, a handgun. Weapons are weapons, if you have the mindset to fight an armed intruder with a defensive weapon then why dither over what kind?

Considering they went into defensive mode and grabbed an available weapon, why would you bet they are adamantly against handguns?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Considering they went into defensive mode and grabbed an available weapon, why would you bet they are adamantly against handguns?
    Just assuming. The vast majority of teachers these days have been absorbed into the Collective.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    but for foster parents they each have to be locked separately. The gun must be unloaded and locked up. The ammo must be stored somewhere else and also locked.

I certainly am not going to try and speak on behalf of TXI on this but I think part of the implication of "CPS rules are not laws" is that they are not criminal laws. You will not be arrested and charged with a crime for violating them. If you are caught you will of course loose your foster certification...but that just puts you in the position of making a choice between 'following the rules' and 'making your home as safe as you would like it to be'. I had to make the same choice when I was applying as a foster home. I went about it honestly...told them what I was and was not willing to do with my weapons and they said I would not pass inspection and they would not certify my home.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    Doesn't cps have to schedule aread for an investigation?

While going through the application process, of course they are going to. Once you are in the system though they don't have any requirement to schedule ahead of time...they usually do though because, with their work load, they don't want to waste time on missed visits. There is also a whole parade of folks (not just CPS) that may stop by, everything from the ad litem attorney to casa workers assigned to the children and others. I also feel a personal obligation to deal with them honestly...so I let them know my intentions and let them make their decisions.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    I certainly am not going to try and speak on behalf of TXI on this but I think part of the implication of "CPS rules are not laws" is that they are not criminal laws. You will not be arrested and charged with a crime for violating them. If you are caught you will of course loose your foster certification...but that just puts you in the position of making a choice between 'following the rules' and 'making your home as safe as you would like it to be'. I had to make the same choice when I was applying as a foster home. I went about it honestly...told them what I was and was not willing to do with my weapons and they said I would not pass inspection and they would not certify my home.
    I agree and actually Im a certified foster parent right now but we dont have any kids. We had three siblings for over a year (when they came to us the were 4 years old, 1 year old, and 3 weeks old). It was a really hard year but not because of the kids but rather because of dealing with the government. Over that time I saw the real need to be able to protect my family but was rather helpless to do much because the last thing we wanted was to have these kids lose yet another home and be given to a different foster family. Now that they have left I cant quite bring myself to get another placement so we have said no each time we have had a call for taking more kids. I dont want to lie to cps but I also cant bring myself to follow the gun rule either. I think I may be done fostering now because of all of this but its sad to know that there are kids out there who need a safe home and if it wasnt for this rule Id be able to provide it for them.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    From the Center for Disease Control: Firearms aren't even on the list as a danger to children yet the CPS refuses to place children in homes with firearms unless they meet stringent storage laws? You think there might be some anti-gun politics here?[h=2]Injury Deaths[/h]
    • On average, 12,175 children 0 to 19 years of age died each year in the United States from an unintentional injury.
    • Males had higher injury death rates than females.
      • The death rate for males was almost two times the rate for females, and males had a higher injury death rate compared to females in all childhood age groups.
    • Injuries due to transportation were the leading cause of death for children.
      • The highest death rates were among occupants of motor vehicles in traffic.
      • There were also a substantial number of pedestrian and pedal cyclist deaths among children.
    • Combining all unintentional injury deaths among those between 0 and 19 years, motor vehicle traffic–related deaths were the leading cause.
    • The leading causes of injury death differed by age group.
      • For children less than 1 year of age, two–thirds of injury deaths were due to suffocation.
      • Drowning was the leading cause injury death for those 1 to 4 years of age.
      • For children 5 to 19 years of age, the most injury deaths were due to being an occupant in a motor vehicle traffic crash.
    • Risk for injury death varied by race.
      • Injury death rates were highest for American Indian and Alaska Natives and were lowest for Asian or Pacific Islanders.
      • Overall death rates for whites and African–Americans were approximately the same.
    • Injury death rates varied by state depending upon the cause of death.
      • Overall, states with the lowest injury death rates were in the northeast. Fire and burn death rates were highest in some of the southern states.
      • Death rates from transportation–related injuries were highest in some southern states and some states of the upper plains, while lowest rates occurred in states in the northeast region.
    • For injury causes with an overall low burden, death rates greatly varied by age.
      • The poisoning death rate for those older than 15 years of age was at least five times the rates of the younger age groups, and the suffocation death rate for infants was over 16 times the rates for all older age groups.
    Top of Page
    [h=2]Nonfatal Injuries[/h]
    • An estimated 9.2 million children annually had an initial emergency department visit for an unintentional injury.
    • Males generally had higher nonfatal injury rates than females.
      • For children 1 to 19 years of age, nonfatal injury rates were higher among males than females, while the rates were approximately the same for those under 1 year.
    • Injuries due to falls were the leading cause of nonfatal injury.
      • Each year, approximately 2.8 million children had an initial emergency department visit for injuries from a fall.
      • For children less than 1 year of age, falls accounted for over 50% of nonfatal injuries.
    • The majority of nonfatal injuries are from five causes.
      • Falls was the leading cause of nonfatal injury for all age groups less than 15.
      • For children ages 0 to 9, the next two leading causes were being stuck by or against an object and animal bites or insect stings.
      • For children 10 to 14 years of age, the next leading causes were being struck by or against an object and overexertion.
      • For children 15 to 19 years of age, the three leading causes of nonfatal injuries were being struck by or against an object, falls, and motor vehicle occupant injuries.
    • Nonfatal injury rates varied by age group.
      • Nonfatal suffocation rates were highest for those less than 1 year of age.
      • Rates for fires or burns, and drowning were highest for children 4 years and younger.
      • Children 1 to 4 years of age had the highest rates of nonfatal falls and poisoning.
      • Injury rates related to motor vehicles was highest in children 15 to 19 years of age.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom