• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I have decided to purchase a handgun for my daughter, even though she can't legally own one (), she can join me at the shooting range and get the feel of things.

At first I was thinking about a compact 9mm, but now I'm leaning towards a snub revolver. Even though I have fired a good variety of revolvers, I never really thought of it from a woman's prospective about features that would make a difference. Things like: Size, Recoil, comfort, concealability, simplicity etc.

I don't want anything smaller than a .32.

Any thoughts?
    DK Firearms

Hochdruck

Aug 20, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    I think something bigger (little more barrel) to start on would be better... more accurate and the extra size helps with the recoil.

Basically my biggest concern from teaching my wife to shoot is accurate shooting with a snubbie is hard and could be discouraging.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I think something bigger (little more barrel) to start on would be better... more accurate and the extra size helps with the recoil.

Basically my biggest concern from teaching my wife to shoot is accurate shooting with a snubbie is hard and could be discouraging.

I took in that factor as well. Longer barrel would mean for accuracy but less concealability (stick in a small purse). It would be more defense over accuracy. I do want her to learn off the gun she will carry when she turns 21.
    I'm trying to "think" as a woman.

Probably the best bet is to take her out to DFW Gun range and rent a few.

jfrey

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I personally, don't always agree on the "3 in. barrel" thinking. Both my sons have smaller framed girlfriends who have both shot my Taurus 85 with a 2 in. bbl. They shoot it very well and are accurate with it. The recoil isn't bad with regular loads. My oldest son even bought his girlfriend one just like it. I think it isn't so much the gun or the recoil, as the teaching that makes the most difference. I wouldn't start anyone out with a .45, but a .38 or 9mm is well within the range of a first gun.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    I really am leaning towards the Lady Smith 60 in a .38 special. It looks like a fine 'girlie' gun. I'll still take her out to the range and rent a few.
    I wonder if it has the lawyer lock on it?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Below is a link you may want to read. It is written from a female perspective and starts of fairly tongue-in-cheek. However, once you get through that, it has some meat. I also realize it refers to buying a gun for your wife, not daughter. For the article, I think they are fairly interchageable.
    Cornered Cat - Buying a Gun for Your Wife

If you do read it, when you get a chance.....it's worth clicking on Table of contents and scrolling down. There is some very good info there for men and women.

I also second renting a few different guns in a few different calibers. Good luck.

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have found with women or any novice "good training" is the most important more so than choice of cal. I always start with small calibers .22 then go up gradually until I get to a point where they are handling as much as they can handle with out sacrificing accuracy and comfort. I have had many women who can handle a 1911 just as good if not better than most men some are more fragile and get scared of the sound no matter what for those it usually ends up being 9mm or 38spl. that is best suited.

jar

Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    A few suggestions.

If you go the 38 spl route, start off with wadcutters. They are controllable and give great feedback on shots (read neat holes).

Consider a set of rubber grips, I have found that the relatively smooth but sticky Presentation Grips from Pachmayr do a great job of reducing perceived recoil and handling new shooter sweaty palms.

Start by spending time with the unloaded gun and let HER do the cleaning and checkout. The more familiar she becomes with the mechanics BEFORE the first range trip, the more successful it will be.

Overdo hearing protection. Use foam ear plugs AND a good set of ear muffs.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    A few suggestions.

If you go the 38 spl route, start off with wadcutters. They are controllable and give great feedback on shots (read neat holes).

Consider a set of rubber grips, I have found that the relatively smooth but sticky Presentation Grips from Pachmayr do a great job of reducing perceived recoil and handling new shooter sweaty palms.

Start by spending time with the unloaded gun and let HER do the cleaning and checkout. The more familiar she becomes with the mechanics BEFORE the first range trip, the more successful it will be.

Overdo hearing protection. Use foam ear plugs AND a good set of ear muffs.

Good input. Thanks.

Peter M. Eick

Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    Find yourself a big 38/44 Outdoorsman. Several of my female coworkers love them for shooting with 38 specials. It is big, heavy and with a 6.5" barrel reasonably accurate and safe.

springmom

Apr 3, 2008
    Spring
    She needs to pick her own gun.

The "Ladysmith" is so named because of the extra small grips. I have a m37 with regular grips, and I cannot hold the ladysmith without my fingernails digging into the base of my thumb, it's so small. Unless your daughter has very small hands, she may find that uncomfortable.

Second, if she's just learning, why not get her a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger Mark III to learn on? .22 ammo is cheap. They're fun and accurate guns. She can learn technique on them and then move up.

There's also the relative "toughness" of a revolver trigger versus a semiauto. Neither of my revolvers is any picnic to shoot DA (my 66-3's trigger has been smoothed over time, and I bought it used, so it's better than the m37, but still...) She needs to try out a bunch of different types, find what fits her hand the best, find what she likes the best, find what she shoots the best.

You, and she, might benefit from a visit to Cornered Cat to get more info on women shooters. And by all means, refer her to Women & Guns for networking with women shooters.

But the best advice is always: let her choose. Your job is to write the check and cheer her on.

Springmom

CowDog

Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    I certainly agree with starting with a .22 and working up. The S&W model 36 with a 3 inch barrel is quite small.....just a snub with 1 more inch. The 60 is a dandy, too. One final suggestion. On the first time shooting with the .38, use 148gr wadcutter target ammunition. Results are easy to see on paper, and the recoil is minimal for the caliber. Use ear plugs and a headset. Good luck. She's a lucky young lady. Edited to add: here's a woman's view: Cornered Cat - What Gun for a Woman? and http://www.corneredcat.com/Men/buywifegun.aspx last one is for wives, but should apply.cd

Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    +1 on the .22 for begining purposes. my wife is just starting out and LOVES the High Standard H-D Military .22lr. it has a heavy barrel and no recoil so she handles it well and has out shot me a time or two. +1 on the plugs and muffs for hearing protection. My wfie found some pink plugs and loves them. we would prolly go to the range more if i could find a pink gun (found a couple) and pink .22 ammo (prolly not gonna find any lol)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom