• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    (back on subject.....) I have the same 938 and have had it for over a year (Wife has the 238) - we both use them for carry

(I asked "if new" because.....) the earlier 938s had FTE problems with 115gr ammo - mine was sent back to sig, twice - they did nothing but shoot 124gr ammo and sent it back - I believe it was a break in problem as I now shoot 115 with it during range visits - but I carry with 124 or 147 NATO RN

my Wife's 238 had failure to chamber problems, until I Dremel'd the feed ramp - now operates well

we both use an inexpensive webbed holster ($30) - only to protect the pistol - I removed the metal clip on mine for pocket carry

they're probably the only sigs I'll ever own
    Texas SOT

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Moonpie, congrats on the new gun. I'm interested in hearing how your first outing goes. I thoroughly enjoyed mine. I did shoot 115gr for all ~225rds and not one stoppage. I would suggest to you to take an uplula loader if you're shooting more than 100rds. P938 mags are known for their stiff spring and it is difficult and fatiguing to load all 7rds (in the ext mag) as you get up past the 50rd mark on your fingers. Trust me. Before you take it out, break it down and clean and grease with the TW25 that came with. Also break down the slide and clean out the FP channel so that the gun is completely fresh when you take it to the range. Do not shoot Seller & Bellot ammo. The red lacquer sealant on the primer gets in the FP hole and clogs up the FP and you start having light strike problems.

Anyway, let us know how you like it. If you are to have any problems with it I'd almost bet on them being light strikes. But if you clean that FP channel and keep it cleaned every 200rds (or include it in the field strip & clean, it is really easy) then you shouldn't have light strike problems.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Houston area...actually does a commercial where he highlights Houston's museum scene by saying he's seen far more museums in Houston than New York...and more horses in New York than he ever saw in Houston.

Jim Parsons - Biography - IMDb

Jim Parsons is from Houston.

Sheldon Cooper is from East Texas; however, in one episode he commented about Galveston.

And I love TBBT because of ** knock knock knock, Penny knock knock knock, Penny knock knock knock, Penny***

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Last night I tried to break it down and had a small issue with getting the slide off the frame.
    Finally had to "tap" the slide on the edge of the table to get it to slide forward off the frame.
    After cleaning and lubing, cycled some snap-caps thru it.
    Everything seemed to work as expected.

Things worked out so I was able to hit the range this morning with the new 938.

At the present time only have two of the flush fit 6rd magazines so these would have to suffice for this mornings range testing.
    Ammo used for initial test:
    Federal 115gr FMJ(Wal-Mart bulk), Brass Maxx 115gr FMJ, TULA 115gr FMJ, Hornady Critical Defense 115 FTX HP, Hornady Critical Duty135gr HP non-P+, Federal124gr HP Hydra-Shok.

Started up close. 10ft to target. Had to get an idea of where the sights would put the shots.
    Eventually tried different distances out to 50ft.

Started out with a few mags of good old Federal 115gr FMJ's for initial firing/break in. Zero problems.
    Fired 60 rounds with no issues whatsoever.
    Moved thru the various ammo types firing one handed, right and left hand, loose/limp wrist, at 10, 15, 25, 50ft distances.

I have to report 100%, PERFECT functioning will ALL ammo types. ZERO malf's! Aye Carumba!

Accuracy was good with every ammo type. Add in my old as dirt eyeballs and shaky hands I think it did pretty good.
    It's a pocket pistol so didn't expect a Gold Cup performance.
    Easily shot 2"-3" groups at 15ft. With many in the same hole type hits.
    The sights are not zeroed for my eye alignment yet so groupings were left of center. I'll adjust this next range trip as I forgot my tools.
    The very short barrel means the slightest twitch throws the shot off quite a bit.
    Sights are the large white circle/green glow night sights. Excellent for my blurry eyes. Last night in the dark they glowed nicely.
    At 50ft I sucked- 12" groups. Not the gun fault.

The trigger is a little gritty. Hopefully it will slick up with use.
    I read somewhere that somebody makes a steel trigger for this pistol so I may explore that later.

Magazines performed 100% during loading and firing.
    One small issue I didn't especially like was when removing a loaded mag the top round always moved forward out of the feed lips and made for difficult mag removal. The round then had to be removed by hand and re-inserted in the mag.

Fired a total of 280 rounds.
    ZERO function issues.

Overall I'll give it a positive review.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Moonpie,

Sounds like a good trip.

At 50ft I sucked- 12" groups. Not the gun fault.
    That sounds familiar. I would describe my 15yd one hand rested shot grouping w/938 as "within a paper plate". I also had my E-pistol husband and his were similar. Honestly, I think with range ammo and a short barrel, real tight groupings wouldn't be expected. Although if they did happen I'd be real impressed with the shooter and the gun. Overall the gun exhibits good accuracy for me for an SD pistol at SD ranges. I imagine you might be of the same school of thought.

The trigger is a little gritty. Hopefully it will slick up with use.
    It will as will the weight(just a bit). You'll notice it less on rapid shots and followup drills. You'll notice it more when trying to slow fire bullseyes.

I read somewhere that somebody makes a steel trigger for this pistol so I may explore that later.

Galloway Precision makes an aluminum shoe trigger: Galloway Precision :: Sig Sauer® Performance :: P938 P238 Performance Parts

Tillamook Precision/PartsProduction also does one: New Page 1

I have not decided on that upgrade. I'm running the factory plastic until I get a good feel for it to see if or what about it I want to change.

One small issue I didn't especially like was when removing a loaded mag the top round always moved forward out of the feed lips and made for difficult mag removal. The round then had to be removed by hand and re-inserted in the mag.
    This is common and on par. It is why I dislike pulling a loaded mag out. It makes unnecessary fumbling around and reloading an already difficult mag. I've read it does this for several reasons (don't know if they are all true or kinda true or what). But heavy mag spring tension, the round above when loaded pulls it forward, feed/follower angle geometry, etc. I'm hoping as mags wear in that this will stop. It has slightly quelled. The round doesn't get pulled out as far and I can thumb it back into place. But it is still being moved.

Thanks for the review Moonpie.

Top Bottom