Wood Fired Smokers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Texas1911, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking about getting a smoker and I'm looking at the New Braunfels Co. Hondo model. I'd prefer something along those lines, doesn't need to be real big, just offset and wood fired with a horizontal box.

Any other options out there? Anyone work at Academy's wanna hook it up with a discount :P

2. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I bought one of these Char-Grillers, that lasted 10 years, before it rusted out on me. If I'd have taken better care of it, it would still be working great. I didn't use the smoker much, but my bother-in-law told me that it worked great. :2cents:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s/smokers&start=0&selectedSKU=0263-40521-3725

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Go for it, I hear good things.

4. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I am about to buy one but I am going to modify it and add a gas brill to the end opposite the fire box.

New Braunfels line has a slightly thicker fire box compared to others.

I want the best of both worlds - gas & wood.

I have already bought a "H" burner, have the mezzanine to make a grate for lava rocks and the angle iron to re-design the gill surface, tin for the tin work for the burner knobs; I robbed off an old gill in someone trash.

I should have it finished by summers end.

When I get it finished I'll post some pic's

5. rsayloriii

rsayloriii TGT Addict

May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I bought the Hondo about a year ago now. Except for building my own, I like it, especially for the price. Works quite well; lets you control the temp very well. Assuming I don't build my own before, I'd buy another once this one rusts out sometime in the future. :happy0001:

6. ambidextrous1

ambidextrous1 Member

I have the Outlaw smoker, mentioned in post #2 here, and added an adjustable speed computer fan to it for a gentle forced draft. It works great for grilling and smoking.

I do my grilling on the small end box. With a good mound of coals and a strong draft, a one inch steak comes out charred rare after two minutes on a side - perfect! :happy0001:

7. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I have the Char-Grill Dual Gas/Charcoal grill with the side firebox and I totally reccomend it. A full size Gas/full size charcoal/side burner/firbox for smoking. I love mine.

8. baboon

baboon Well-Known

i've always wanted a Big Green Egg

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    LOL, are your meds speaking or am I missing something there? :tongueout:

10. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX