• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My dad and I are building a wooden clock for his man cave.

It's going along well. The kit is fun but not overly challenging.

Parts are laser cut so no scroll saw needed. Just x-acto knife, wood glue, finish and lining things up.

Kits and plans are very reasonable.
    Clock Kits: Ascent | Wooden-Gear-Clocks.com - Makers of Wooden Gear Clock Kits and Plans

Progress so far.

clock1.jpg Clock2.jpg

Here's a video of completed clock of the same design.

DK Firearms

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Good Luck!

I'm still trying to get two Cuckoo Clocks and one Grandfather Clock (all from Germany) to keep time. Maybe when Gutenberg invented the printing press, German Clock makers some how lost their desire for precision?

I know that don't make sense, but had to say it anyway. But at McDonald's today, the fellow sweeping the floor was an old German fellow (probably a WWII POW who did not want to go home)?

Be well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a similar clock years ago but instead of a swinging pendulum escapement, the pendulum on mine rotated side to side about 30 degrees each direction. I got mine at a furniture store. It was mounted on a stand which tipped over and trashed a couple of the gears. I built them up with epoxy, filed them to the correct profile and it ran great! You will love having such a beautiful and unique clock!

On the cuckoo and grandfather clocks......First, make sure they are in "beat". If the cuckoo clock isn't in beat, first level the box. I always leveled it then put a pencil mark on the wall so I could line it back up easily. Then listen if ticks and tocks are exactly the same length and duration. If not, gently bend the pendulum hanger rod until it beats correctly.

If the cuckoo is very old, it's probably full of crud. Remove the movement, soak it in Stoddard solvent (Mineral Spirits) and dry it. Re oil with a GOOD quality light oil.

Grandfather/mother clocks usually have a screw mechanism in the pendulum hanger to bring the pendulum into beat. Level the box first and make certain the pendulum isn't contacting anything in its swing. Adjust the mechanism until the clock is in beat.

After all of that is done, start making adjustments on the length of the pendulum by moving the "Bob".

I love pendulum clocks and worked on them for many years as a hobby. Hope this helps

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Flash,

You sir, are a fountain of tick-tock knowledge. No one ever explained the mechanics to me as clearly.

I'll let you know how it works out.

If it is a no-go, I'll gift those clocks to you in my will.

Be well.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks ShortRound! I love clocks and hope that you can get yours running well. Feel free to PM if I can help.

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom