WooHoo!!! First Custom Rifle Coming My Way!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Just put the order in today for my first custom rifle! Out of all the fantastic gunsmiths out there, I ended up going with Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs. Specs on the build include:

SAC Type 11 Action (SAC branded Defiance Deviant)
    24" Bartlein 6.5mm / Med. Palma contour / 1/8 twist / chambered in .260 rem
    Timney 517U @ 2lbs
    Thunderbeast Muzzle Brake for my Suppressor
    Barreled action cerakoted in Texas Tan

Still can't decide what chassis to go with... I am on the fence with an AI AX or the KRG Whiskey 3. The W3 is more expensive, but the ergos are better and it is about a pound lighter than the AX

Rifle should be done in about 3-4 weeks.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am on the fence with an AI AX or the KRG Whiskey 3. The W3 is more expensive, but the ergos are better and it is about a pound lighter than the AX.
    If the ergos are better for you, and it is lighter, you will most likely be glad you spent the extra $. Sounds like a great rifle!

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    That would be a miracle for a gunsmith to build a rifle in 3-4 weeks! Come fathers day my rifle will be a year @ the smiths. I might just fire his ass then!
    He has all the parts in stock, so all that needs to be done is chamber, muzzle thread, and cerakote.

SWEET!, hope you've got a place to stretch it out.

Have Best of the West in Austin, 600 yd range in New Braunsfels, and a friends 1000 yd range in the valley.

The action based off of a sako 11 or rem 700 action?

The action is based off the 700. It incorporates an integral base and recoil lug, also has a 1pc bolt with m16 extractor.

I was originally going to go with the Badger Ordnance m2013 action, but a friend of mine's action failed on him for the second time at a PRS Match. My second option was a Surgeon 591, but they haven't been for sale for over a year... So the next best thing was the Defiance action.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Pretty much a crap shoot between the two. I'm a reloader, so the need for factory ammo really didn't mean much to me. I have a bunch of Remington brass, so it was a no brainer. Either way, both are amazing cartridges. I kinda wanted to go with a 6mm Creedmoor or 243 win. but the ballistic advantages didn't out weigh the barrel life.

Central Texas Silueta Association has a private range by Dietz, 600 meters. They hold monthly F-class and silhouette matches. Reasonable membership as well.

Top Bottom