Gun Zone Deals

WooHoo!!! First Custom Rifle Coming My Way!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Just put the order in today for my first custom rifle! Out of all the fantastic gunsmiths out there, I ended up going with Mark Gordon of Short Action Customs. Specs on the build include:

SAC Type 11 Action (SAC branded Defiance Deviant)
    24" Bartlein 6.5mm / Med. Palma contour / 1/8 twist / chambered in .260 rem
    Timney 517U @ 2lbs
    Thunderbeast Muzzle Brake for my Suppressor
    Barreled action cerakoted in Texas Tan

Still can't decide what chassis to go with... I am on the fence with an AI AX or the KRG Whiskey 3. The W3 is more expensive, but the ergos are better and it is about a pound lighter than the AX

Rifle should be done in about 3-4 weeks.
    Hurley's Gold

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I am on the fence with an AI AX or the KRG Whiskey 3. The W3 is more expensive, but the ergos are better and it is about a pound lighter than the AX.
    If the ergos are better for you, and it is lighter, you will most likely be glad you spent the extra $. Sounds like a great rifle!

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    That would be a miracle for a gunsmith to build a rifle in 3-4 weeks! Come fathers day my rifle will be a year @ the smiths. I might just fire his ass then!
    He has all the parts in stock, so all that needs to be done is chamber, muzzle thread, and cerakote.

SWEET!, hope you've got a place to stretch it out.

Have Best of the West in Austin, 600 yd range in New Braunsfels, and a friends 1000 yd range in the valley.

The action based off of a sako 11 or rem 700 action?

The action is based off the 700. It incorporates an integral base and recoil lug, also has a 1pc bolt with m16 extractor.

I was originally going to go with the Badger Ordnance m2013 action, but a friend of mine's action failed on him for the second time at a PRS Match. My second option was a Surgeon 591, but they haven't been for sale for over a year... So the next best thing was the Defiance action.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Pretty much a crap shoot between the two. I'm a reloader, so the need for factory ammo really didn't mean much to me. I have a bunch of Remington brass, so it was a no brainer. Either way, both are amazing cartridges. I kinda wanted to go with a 6mm Creedmoor or 243 win. but the ballistic advantages didn't out weigh the barrel life.

Central Texas Silueta Association has a private range by Dietz, 600 meters. They hold monthly F-class and silhouette matches. Reasonable membership as well.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I don't blame you, Ive got the same reasoning for building a 6.5cm. The 6mms are cool but for us regular folk its just not worth the extra cost in barrel life. SAC makes some beautiful rifles. What glass are you going with?

CTSAs site is terrible but from what it looks like(the rules link is broken) its $125 a year for membership and its basically a non RO private range that you can go to when theres not a match going? If so I may have to do that. Been going to Lonestar but its pretty run down and only 100yds. Been developing loads there then taking them to the deer lease to stretch out.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a Bushnell G2DMR 3.5-21 that I have been using for the past couple years. Sometime down the road I will get a Bushnell ERS DMR.

Yeah, their site is shit, but your correct with your assumptions. I need to turn in my app at the next match

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Sounds like youre going to have a very nice setup. Maybe one day Ill step up to the big leagues like you.

If I get back from the deer lease in time this weekend Ill have to try and make it out there and check it out. Would be awesome to have a 600yd range that close to test out.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Sounds like a nice set up. If I was having a SAC built gun I'd be really tempted to try his 7mm Creedmoor out.

Bushnell has really been stepping up big time with there scopes. I've always been a fan of their Elite series and the new versions are really nice. I'm ready for the long range hunting scope to be available in MOA.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Totally agree! It's been extremely hard trying to convince my self that a Nightforce or a Steiner would be better. The only thing I would want right now is 10 mil turrets and a zero stop... which the Bushnell ERS model has.

If I ever get another rifle built, it would be in 7mm as it would function as a hunting/target rig, but for this build, my goal was to build a competent competitive rifle.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Ordered the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis today with the lighter X-ray forend and a spigot mount as well. Man this is gonna be a great rifle. Now if only the pencil pushers at the ATF would approve my form 4 for my TB 30ba suppressor.

Here is a pic of the chassis I am going with.
    2wlwt2w.jpg

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Got all my accessories for the rifle in and painted my scope to match the gun. The bipod I am going with is a Harris BRM-s with the Alamo Four Star D-LOC conversion and SARG knob, very nice piece of gear and IMO makes the harris almost perfect.

2ij2g0l.jpg

20140624_154345_zps269e2d8c.jpg

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Very nice build!

You did good going with the 260 over the copycat Creedmoor. ;)

Lapua makes 260 brass.

Only thing I would suggest to do differently would be to go with an Atlas bipod over the Harris. MUCH more stable and just way better built overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't like Atlas. Are the legs stronger yes, but I don't find the regular atlas to be much more stable. The PSR atlas is a big improvement over the regular atlas, but at an over $300 price tag.

I've used atlas bipods and no doubt they are well built, but for me they are slow to deploy and not worth the jump from harris. Just my .02

Top Bottom