Guns International

Woopsie...Tropers seem to have violated some rights today at the Capital.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    Texan2, you are correct, I did that...and I noted that to at least say so...my daughter came in to ask help for something and I posted before completing it...that being said, I just watched it and Im not sure rights were NOT violated by the Troopers. However, the group acted like a bunch of fucktards and were embarrasing to say the least...sheesh.
    I cant believe the asshat calling them POS' and MF'ers didnt get a pavement sammich!!
    DK Firearms

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    On Open Carry Texas' fb page, the majority of the people discussing the video seemed pretty anti-language in that video. They were mentioning that they had their children there, and there were passerby's that weren't too crazy with the scene. It seems that it was their guys being arrested (and going along peacefully and exercising their right to remain silent) while the guy who seemed to be the loudest was new to the group and hadn't been to any meet with them before.

They were talking about an Austin meet coming up that's supposed to be similar to the San Antonio Alamo meet. For the alamo meet, they requested that people allow chamber checks to make sure everyone is good to go. I have a feeling they will now be asking people to watch their language as well. I wished I would have gone to the Alamo meet, but it seems like every time they go to the capitol, somebody is getting hauled off, so I'm not sure if I want to go to this upcoming meet or not.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Here's a letter CJ has sent off to Director Steven McCraw. I only post this so y'all can see where he's coming from when they're saying what the officers are doing is wrong.

Open Carry Texas is all about trying to get the public to be at ease with the open carry of rifles, and eventually bring us the open carry of pistols. You gotta remember-concealed carry was illegal up until the Luby's shootout. Even then, it took some work to make concealed carry legal. There were people who were still against the carrying of a pistol. It's going to be an uphill battle for these guys, but if they can't even follow the law when trying to make their point, then things are pretty bad. I think at this point, CJ and his crew are just trying to get it back to where we can do things the current law already allows without being hassled. Then, he will take things from there. I don't agree with the cussing that was going on, but if these guys wanna work to educate people on the law as it already is, and then try to change the law in our favor-I can support that all the way.

CJ Grisham

I sent the following letter to DPS Director Steven McCraw today in response to the illegal actions of DPS Troopers this weekend at the Capitol. I will keep members updated as I get a response:

My name is CJ Grisham and I'm the President and Founder of Open Carry Texas, a non-profit organization dedicated to the safe and open carry of firearms and pistols according to Texas law. We are also working to have less restrictive open carry legislation passed in Texas just as in 42 other states.

On behalf of our more than 6,000 members and growing, I would like to request a meeting with Director McCraw to discuss issues with his DPS officers abusing their authority at the Capitol by targeting our members with false arrest, engaging in audio and video recording of our members, and the illegal disarming of several members over the past several months.

In response to these actions by members of CPT Sheer's squad, we are planning a major rally to protest the abuses of authority, assaults, kidnapping, and false imprisonment of our members for exercising their rights according to Texas law. We recently held a similar rally at the Alamo in response to similar actions by San Antonio officers.

CPT Sheer has ordered his troops to harass and arrest our members for lawfully carrying pre-1899 replica revolvers. As I'm sure you're aware, Texas Penal Code 46.01 specifically exempts these replicas from the definition of "firearm" as long as they are not rim fire or center fire. These Troopers have charged our members with "disorderly conduct" under Texas Penal Code 42.01(a)(8), including one member who was a quadriplegic, claiming that the officers themselves were "alarmed" by these HOLSTERED weapons being carried. They have since begun charging our members under Penal Code 30.05, "criminal trespass." As I'm sure you're aware, Austin recently lost a case by trying to prevent the public from using public land and claiming "criminal trespass." However, the statute does NOT apply to public property.

Since these charges are patently bogus, CPT Sheer has resorted to ordering law-abiding citizens exercising their right to keep and bear arms according to Texas law to leave the capitol grounds, citing Administrative Code section 3.146 as his basis for infringing on our rights. Section 3.146 states, "Firearms, explosive weapons, illegal knives, clubs, and knuckles, as defined in the Texas Penal Code, §46.01, and prohibited weapons as defined in the Texas Penal Code, §46.06, are not permitted in state buildings or on state grounds covered under these rules." Texas Penal Code 46.01 states, "Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is...an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899...or...a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition."

CPT Sheer and LT Sheffler have actively sought to infringe on our members' rights to carry our black powders pistols by stating that their Administrative Code prevents it. As you can see above, the Administrative Code ONLY mention "firearms." Because this was an inconvenient fact to CPT Sheer when we showed him the law, he simply changed the definition and claimed that the statute bans "deadly weapons." I'm sure you're well aware that anything can be identified as a "deadly weapon" under state law. Our flag poles could be considered deadly weapons, as well as baseball bats, tennis rackets, canes, crutches, trophies, pens, belts, and anything else used to take a life.

These encroachments on our rights are only serving to create a major chasm between the Region 7 DPS troopers and the people they are entrusted to protect: the public. CPT Sheer forgets that he is not the ruler of a serfdom and that his word is not law. Section 2 of the Texas Constitution is very clear about where the People stand in the pecking order establishing peace and securing liberty: "All political power is inherent in the people, and all free governments are founded on their authority, and instituted for their benefit. The faith of the people of Texas stands pledged to the preservation of a republican form of government, and, subject to this limitation only, they have at all times the inalienable right to alter, reform or abolish their government in such manner as they may think expedient."

I am afraid that if CPT Sheer is allowed to continue on his current course of infringing upon the rights of law-abiding Texans, that the authority and ability of Region 7 DPS Troopers will be greatly eroded, if not totally rescinded by the people.

Finally, I must remind you and the troopers within Region 7 that Texas Penal Code Section 39.03 states that "a public servant acting under color of his office or employment commits an offense if he...intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or to arrest, detention, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment, or lien that he knows is unlawful [or] intentionally denies or impedes another in the exercise or enjoyment of any right, privilege, power, or immunity, knowing his conduct is unlawful." Region 7 DPS Troopers are committing a Class A Misdemeanor every time they falsely arrest our members carrying black powder, pre-1899 replica revolvers. We have made this clear to your Troopers as they engage in the acts of violating Texas law. They are not above reproach.

I fear that we are quickly heading down a dangerous road in which someone is going to be hurt if this continues. Already this weekend, your Troopers fractured the ribs of a man not resisting in any way, violently pushed 50-year old women, and dangerously disarmed law-abiding citizens without maintaining proper trigger discipline. Your Troopers are quick to escalate to placing their hands on their handguns and completely skipping less lethal means of maintaining order against an unarmed populace.

Because of these and other encroachments, I request a meeting with Director McCraw as soon as possible to discuss these issues and find a suitable solution that both respects the rights of Texans and protects the public at large. I can be reached during the day at the number below.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the tone of his letter......

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Well, I read the part of the letter where he says he fears someone is going to get hurt....people on his side have already been hurt by the officers....so that can only mean one thing. Then, when I found the invite for the Austin meet coming up in December at the capitol....CJ specifically said "I respectfully request that the "Let's Roll" crowd refrain from attending this event. There may be bad words and a need to actually take a stand. This one will not be a spectator sport."

Yup-I'm out.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They need to take a break. It wasn't just one guy cussing and their tactic of sitting in front of the police car (more than one person did that), screaming out incorrect law/information, demanding knowing why their guy was being arrested...all VERY unprofessional. That letter isn't helping their cause.
    I would encourage gun owners to NOT support this group as they are not doing a service to real 2nd amendment supporters. The comments on the OPs link show the group's mindset, which is VERY disturbing.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    TLS is representing both guys arrested. I'm curious to see the outcome of that.

I did think sitting in front of the truck was a punk move. But then again, I think it woulda been funny if they would have just drove around them. lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have a rally that makes us look bad, follow up with a letter that makes us look worse.

Way to help the left.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    After seeing their latest tone switch to they're ready for things to start getting physical....now it's turned into a train-wreck for me. I WANT to drop the group from my fb....but I really wanna see what's gonna happen next. lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    After seeing their latest tone switch to they're ready for things to start getting physical....now it's turned into a train-wreck for me. I WANT to drop the group from my fb....but I really wanna see what's gonna happen next. lol

You're already on the NSA watch list, might as well get the inside scoop.

Sucks cause it implies they have more support than they really do though.

Top Bottom