Target Sports

work in progress.. turning my sportster into a "war"ster.. WLA look'n harley..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Cool project...will be interested in seeing the final product. I drove an old Ural with a sidecar a few months back and it was very uncomfortable after 20 mins but so cool looking.
    I've gotta get all mine running again.
    Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.[/QUOTE

Guy in the area has an OD Ural.. not sure if it's the driven sidecar, or just a sidecar, but i can tell you that sucker is cool looking .. figured i'd look him up somehow after i got mine painted.. the only issue on mine will be the chrome.. and one reason i'm staying away from trying to do a re production and instead doing an "inspired by" thing.. the chrome looks good, and is in perfect condtion.. i could wrap the pipes, but not sure about the big ol air cleaner, battery box, and handlebars..
    Gun Zone Deals

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    i've always been interested in the Ural too.. but never had a sidecar and i've heard so much negative about how they handle.. duhh or don't.. anyway Gloria will NOT ride with me so i'd have to come up with some other sort of ballast..
    Right hand turns can be interesting but once you get used to it, it's no big deal. Fly the chair!

My dog likes the sidecar... The girlfriend likes it too, but dog looks cooler. shhhh... Don't repeat that ;)

8151740761_2a80b4c823_c.jpg

I drove an old Ural with a sidecar a few months back and it was very uncomfortable after 20 mins but so cool looking.
    They make standard seats for it that are much more comfortable than the military style tractor seats, but the tractor seats look cooler, lol... I would say the biggest downside to the Ural is it's top speed; it maxes out at 65mph. I prefer a more leisurely 55mph on it anyways.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Right hand turns can be interesting but once you get used to it, it's no big deal. Fly the chair!

My dog likes the sidecar... The girlfriend likes it too, but dog looks cooler. shhhh... Don't repeat that ;)

8151740761_2a80b4c823_c.jpg

They make standard seats for it that are much more comfortable than the military style tractor seats, but the tractor seats look cooler, lol... I would say the biggest downside to the Ural is it's top speed; it maxes out at 65mph. I prefer a more leisurely 55mph on it anyways.

Actually I wad referring more to the geometry of it that my body is unaccustomed to.

Sent from Kate Beckinsale's closet.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    That is THE coolest dog i've seen.. what's his name Dan.. and yeah i almost feel sorry for the GF.. the dog could NOT be any cooler..

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    PART's.. I'm getting them.. have the new solo seat, and the new "big" fender.. good stuff so far, but no word on the windscreen they owe me.. Seat needs a bit of "adjustment" but nothing i can't handle in house.. i took a picture of the seat and fender.. sent it to myself on gmail.. i can see it in file but can't get it to post.. had this problem before with aces and eights funeral picture.. think it's file size, but that doesn't make since as i'm using a cheap track phone, and never had problems with a picture i've taken.. might send it to Vaquero for repost..

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Me too young'n .. i like the new seat.. it's lower by like 2" and narrower as well.. this makes it easier for my bad back.. i'm not worried about the paint, but i am worried about all the chrome.. i guess if it looks to "gaudy" i can flat black or OD the air cleaner and battery cover.. the exhausts can be wrapped .. thats a popular now, and a couple different companies offer the wrap to do it with.. Just a cheap cardboad template for the star..

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    pictures..

can't see the fender very well.. the brackets are in front of it.. seat looks and works great. and so will the fender.. sure of that.. no word on the windshield .. just late i guess..

Attachments

• P100213_1808.jpg
      P100213_1808.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 175

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    more "stuff" for the project..

THIS was a deal.. i knew the paint i wanted.. and you can see it in the picture with the new front fender.. it's a light OD, but a good color. and should work out great.. told you all i put the new seat on and how great it was.. ha ha.. got a deal on the paint.. i figured 6 can's should do it.. i priced them at Ace for 5.99... got these today from W/mart.. and you can see their ZACKLY what i'm looking for for 3.75 cents each.

Note here to my bud's.. i know between the scoot, and that thread on the new pistol i bought today, that it sorta looks like Greg's got some bucks all of a sudden.. yep. i knocked over a circle K.. please don't tell..

i mention this cause were all in the same boat.. know a couple of you are looking for work, and there's none of us that are rolling in it.. and if so there business.. i want you guys to know this cause.. well to be honest we aren't in a position to just go down and stroke a check.. i had to sell quite a few of my collection of guns to put that sportster in the garage.. personal business .. yeah it is.. but as i said i know a few of you are tightening your belts these days and i just wanted you to know $ do NOT grow on tree's over here in AZ.. doggone circle K's on every corner though..

Attachments

• paint.jpg
      paint.jpg
      19.6 KB · Views: 161
    Last edited:

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    i just wanted you to know $ do NOT grow on tree's over here in AZ.. doggone circle K's on every corner do though..

You mean those green palo verde trees arent green cuz they grow money? And here I was planting a dozen... You are right about a circle k on every corner though. Never knew you were from AZ Padre...mind if I ask what part?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Padre, I love the looks of the war bird! Mine has chrome galore that looks great BUT it's a 3 hour clean job that needs to be done every few months! I've been tempted to paint the whole thing flat black! Your engine isn't a flat head but most people wouldn't know the difference, anyway.

Here's my XL1200C.

RE: Wire spokes?
    Sure! HD furnished their military and police bikes with painted spokes and rims. In a way, I wish my front wheel was painted. That thing is a BEAR to keep cleaned up!

Flash

Last edited:

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    You mean those green palo verde trees arent green cuz they grow money? And here I was planting a dozen... You are right about a circle k on every corner though. Never knew you were from AZ Padre...mind if I ask what part?

TW.. we live in Sun City NW PHX.. it's sorta geezer retirement area 101.. actually the old section was the first in the nation.. guy named Del Webb developed it, and now a huge area.. not sure on the pop, but guessing close to 7K .. neat thing is all older, we're like the kids.. and surrounded by the last of the greatest generation... pretty happy with our location.. so TW, you have family in AZ ? are just the typical stalk'n i have to deal with all the time BRAAHHAAA

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Hey Padre, I love the looks of the war bird! Mine has chrome galore that looks great BUT it's a 3 hour clean job that needs to be done every few months! I've been tempted to paint the whole thing flat black! Your engine isn't a flat head but most people wouldn't know the difference, anyway.
    Here's my XL1200C.
    RE: Wire spokes? Sure! HD furnished their military and police bikes with painted spokes and rims. In a way, I wish my front wheel was painted. That thing is a BEAR to keep cleaned up!

Flash

WOW.. beautiful bike Rog.. for the room the current line up for sportsters (been this way since 88) is either 883 (54ci) or 1200 (74ci) Flash has the big boy.. and let me tell you it's a torque monster.. because they develop their TQ and HP down at a lower RPM there's a tendency to ride Harley's a lot safer.. just a fact.. when you're "ON" a metric that doesn't come on it's cam's till 6K you're ridding full out.. with a Harley you can just twist that wick at an idle and have like 80% of what a big (talking 1kcc not 600cc) has on tap.. because you can tap into this so easy and at such a low rpm you're not pushing the envelop as much.. know that sounds confusing but true.. NOT saying Flashes 1200 will run with a Hyabusha .. but am saying it will come REAL close any time he wants it.. i came off of sportbikes back in the eighties and that was the first thing i noticed..

Second thing and i know i'm going to sound like i work for the factory.. when you wear the brand on your skin you have a tendency to be prejudiced, but i believe i can make an argument for Flashes scoot being the best all around M/C you can buy, Harley's won't depreciate . you CAN'T find one in a junk yard anywhere unless their frames wrecked beyond repair.. Faster than any 4 wheel "anything" you can buy unless you have 100K to spend. Dead solid dependable (all of them are now.. Young'n's new bike is as dependable as "buffy's" new BMW) the basic engine is now 80 yep 80! years old.. the 1936 WLD and Flashes XL12 are seperated by overhead valves that started in 57 so guess you could say only 60 years.. dead on 50 mpg.. run with most anything on the road.. blow up that picture and look at REAL chrome.. I'm NOT knocking other rides... i've had as many metric as domestic, and love all motorcycles.. that Ural is beyond cool, and YoungGuns new bike is solid and beautiful..

guess it's like Glock and 1911's.. at the end of the day when the dust settles.. i really believe Suger's FL is going to be the last bike standing..

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    TW.. we live in Sun City NW PHX.. it's sorta geezer retirement area 101.. actually the old section was the first in the nation.. guy named Del Webb developed it, and now a huge area.. not sure on the pop, but guessing close to 7K .. neat thing is all older, we're like the kids.. and surrounded by the last of the greatest generation... pretty happy with our location.. so TW, you have family in AZ ? are just the typical stalk'n i have to deal with all the time BRAAHHAAA

Yeah I have family all over the state. If you've ever been to Buckeye or Palo Verde area then you probably met some of my family as nearly all of them are kin.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah I have family all over the state. If you've ever been to Buckeye or Palo Verde area then you probably met some of my family as nearly all of them are kin.

YEP !! been all though that area.. usta shoot out there.. ask them about the Lewis Prison in Buckeye.. and by the way .. it's sorta AZ deliverence with out the banjo's..

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Wow, Padre! Thanks for the kind words about my ride! I LOVE that bike! I've owned about 30 MC's in my life (It might be 29 or 31... I forget.) in the last 50 years of riding and this is my favorite of all of them!

You're right about it being a "Torque Monster" as this bike will haul the load at very low speed. I try not to lug it down too much as it's hard on the lower end, but it WILL pull from foolishly low RPM! At 65 to 70, tweaking the throttle will result in a snarl and a surge in speed. At 6'1" and 290, the bike hauls me like a sack of taters.

Funny that you should mention about HD riders riding safer. I've had mine almost 3 years (in November) and get my insurance super cheap because of all the years that I've ridden. I asked my insurance lady if there was a "surcharge" on the HD bikes because they were targets for theft. She replied "NO" and added that HD riders take care of their bikes and watch them carefully when they park. They were actually cheaper to insure!

Flash

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom