• Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hi Folks,

I was asked on another board about sling positions and how do I work the bolt action on a rifle, anyway, without dismounting from my shoulder? I took pics and figured I'd post them here as well in the hopes it might help someone.

Hasty Hasty sling:

smith%20sights%20lefty%20hasty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

smith%20sights%20working%20action%20lefty%20hasty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

Hasty sling:

smith%20sights%20lefty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

smith%20sights%20working%20action%20lefty%20hasty%20sling.jpg

I hope this was informative. A lefty bolt is nice, but not necessary, and the lefty need not suffer due to a bolt action on the wrong side!

Regards,

Josh

NMTMarksman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    As a lefty I have found that for bolt guns it is not necessary since I can operate the bolt slow enough to not have the ejector throw the hot brass into my face, unlike with semi autos that pepper my face lol. Although not necessary I gotta say I love my south paw Savage 16! awesome pics!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    As a lefty I have found that for bolt guns it is not necessary since I can operate the bolt slow enough to not have the ejector throw the hot brass into my face, unlike with semi autos that pepper my face lol. Although not necessary I gotta say I love my south paw Savage 16! awesome pics!

Thankfully, I never had that problem with any rifle I've shot. Have always been warned about it and have always been aware of it, but no semi auto I have shot has ever come close to hitting my face. Now those bolts on AK bullpups are another issue. :)

Interesting post Josh, my biggest problem shooting the Mosin after is remembering that it isn't semi auto!!! :facepalm:

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN

Ummm... no.

Although, I've been designing a rear peep that would mount on a cantilever similar to that. The problem with my previous model I've been phasing out (except for special orders) is not that it doesn't work -- it does work, and well -- but rather that the stabilization system takes too long to tune. Combine that with the fact that the sight was as popular as it was, and production time problems arose.

I guess that's why custom 1911 pistols are so expensive. By the time the gunsmith gets done fitting it, there's a lot of time invested.

And that's the thing: Time is what costs the most a lot of gunsmithing work. In these days of fast production with MIM and molded plastics, it's hard to understand why, say, a 1911 hammer fit properly, takes time.

What ends up happening due to perceived (and real) "want now for cheap!" pressure are things like that bolt handle above, ATI Mosin stocks, ATI Mosin 'scope mounts, those drill and tap turned down handles that break unless welded, etc.

I am suspicious of any gunsmith who claims to be able to be able to turn out, oh, I dunno, a complete 1911 in a day.

Even the Mosin triggers I sometimes sell take about eight hours to make and fit properly. That's ONE trigger in eight straight hours, folks, due to hand fitting for superior performance.

You can't pour that out of a mold.

OK, rant over. Sorry for digressing.

Regards,

Josh

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member