Working with a seller off of auction site. Refund requested.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Gun Auction Sight. Won an auction for COLT 1908 25 POCKET HAMMERLESS ( SLIDE & BARREL) pictured was a slide and barrel in heavy surface rust.

I didn't have my old gun handy but trusted the label. I only needed the barrel.

Removing the rust for fun I uncovered the label.

Spain "Martian" Comercial was reviled. Parts not compatible.

First email was the picture and asking what he thought the best thing to do would be. No suggestions or demands, just showing what I got and asking what he'd like to do.

Seller first offered back a $20 and I could keep the parts.

I don't need the parts and asked, nicely, for a full refund including the shipping I paid.

He told me he'd refund the purchase price but not shipping.

Here's my email back to him.

Looks like the part won't fit.

I'll pay shipping back to you. For the refund amount you'll get to to choose the amount and your review at the same time.

Choose your review.

The first review:: Seller is a stand up person and that even though an honest mistake was made, went out of their way to make it right and I'm impressed with the quality, service and integrity demonstrated.

The second review:: Seller incorrectly listed the product they were selling and when contact about it did I get a refund for the purchase but was still stuck with the shipping. Caveat emptor.

P.S. Shipping charged for the auction was $6.00 and shipping label was for $2.80.

komz.jpg
    Military Camp

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If the seller doesn't cover all costs involved then the review will not be positive. They screwed up and should cover it all.

That is how I feel when I screw up and when someone else screws up and it costs me.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Mate, I am not sure about the part itself. Is it not as described, and should he have known?

The auction was labeled COLT 1908 25 POCKET HAMMERLESS ( SLIDE & BARREL). He sent Spain "Martian" Comercial slide and barrel.

They are close enough that he mistook the parts for the colt. The pictures were close enough they passed my looking at them. The label was covered in surface rust.

Compare the slide pictured above to this one on the colt 1908 pocket hammerless. It's not hard to see if they are side by side but close enough where if labeled or assumed incorrectly they can be mistaken.
    1908vp_420024.jpg

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I can't remember the last time I made a mistake in an item description but if I sell something and I clearly erred then I cover all costs and apologize. Honest people own up to their mistakes... no ifs, ands or buts.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I can't remember the last time I made a mistake in an item description but if I sell something and I clearly erred then I cover all costs and apologize. Honest people own up to their mistakes... no ifs, ands or buts.

This^^^^^ and I covered the return shipping too....

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I've sold a ton of stuff on ebay and gunbroker.com and I've always covered the shipping both ways if the customer isn't satisfied with the deal. Having said that, and I'm not referring to you M, there are lot of buyers who don't take the time to carefully read the item's description or the list of countries you will ship to. One day I'll start a thread entitled "annoying ebay buyers".

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Is that from the seller who has almost 950 positive reviews and 7 negative ones?

You out $56 total, right? Heck for such a small item, and inexpensive price I would think the seller would comply with your wishes quickly. Pretty sure he does not want Gunbroker involved due to his false description.............but maybe not.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I really want to be reasonable. In his situation I'd provide a full refund and give extra for the shipping back.

We're disagreeing about $9.00 on a just under $60 purchase. I hope he does the right thing, but he gets to choose the review on his account with fair warning.

Last edited:

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Is that from the seller who has almost 950 positive reviews and 7 negative ones?

You out $56 total, right? Heck for such a small item, and inexpensive price I would think the seller would comply with your wishes quickly. Pretty sure he does not want Gunbroker involved due to his false description.............but maybe not.

Ya, that's about right. I could get paypal in there as well. That's why it's on rant and raves. I really don't understand why this is an issue for the seller.

I do understand it may have been an honest mistake on the description. I just expected the high road.

Last edited:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    IMO if it's not as shown, like you're describing, he should cover everything.

He advertises colt slide you get something else, he should refund everything, and pay for return shipping. That's fraudulent.

If I ever sell something on eBay. I post it as "no returns no refunds" cuz I'm not going to deal with some moron changing his mind.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    IMO if it's not as shown, like you're describing, he should cover everything.

He advertises colt slide you get something else, he should refund everything, and pay for return shipping. That's fraudulent.

If I ever sell something on eBay. I post it as "no returns no refunds" cuz I'm not going to deal with some moron changing his mind.

^^^ It doesn't matter what you write. The buyer can and will leave a negative anyway... and can probably easily convince eBay/PayPal to debit your PP account. As a seller you can't win most of the time.

OP, you may have learned a $56 lesson. Trust no one and be very careful from whom you purchase.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    ^^^ It doesn't matter what you write. The buyer can and will leave a negative anyway... and can probably easily convince eBay/PayPal to debit your PP account. As a seller you can't win most of the time.

OP, you may have learned a $56 lesson. Trust no one and be very careful from whom you purchase.

I'm not out $56 ... well, yet. He's agreed to refund $50. I'm not happy about paying shipping to and from. About $9.00.

Guy has 950 feedback with less than 10 negative comments on a popular gun\parts auction site. As far as risk goes it looked good to go.

I honestly don't care about the cash. It's about making things right when a mistake is made and how business should be done.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I'm not out $56 ... well, yet. He's agreed to refund $50. I'm not happy about paying shipping to and from. About $9.00.

Guy has 950 feedback with less than 10 negative comments on a popular gun\parts auction site. As far as risk goes it looked good to go.

I honestly don't care about the cash. It's about making things right when a mistake is made and how business should be done.

Agreed, but not all folks will own-up to their own mistakes. It's just a fact of life especially these days. At least it's only $9 loss THIS TIME.:)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

I just hope I ward off some of the wishy washy guys. I rarely sell off of eBay. It's 25% by the time I'm done with them. And yes there are basically no protections for the seller.

That in mind. Depending on how grumpy you wanna be, you should be able to use ebay's system against this individual. Your case seems cut and dry.

I've gotten my money back over a lot less.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    So, to wrap up this thread.

Shipped the item off, emailed twice asking when I should get a refund. Waited 3 days and opened up a paypal dispute for full amount including shipping.

He did refund the amount + shipping under some protest saying I altered the item cleaning the rust off of it that revealed the label.

Resolved this AM through paypal with a full refund though. Out $6 shipping it back.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Amen.

Really wasn't ever about the money. The seller's attitude and lack of professionalism got me sideways.

"Conceder yourself fortunate that I'm giving you a refund. If you decide to leave negative feedback I will do the same and contact Gun broker about the defaced item."

I'd leave feedback, report the facts, then include the quote at the end.

When he moans and groans about it, just say, hey, if you think you've treated me fair, then it's not negative feed back.

Top Bottom