World end scenario: Choose your Arms!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by radioflyer, Aug 16, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I was listening to a gun-talk show on the radio and a caller had an interesting question. Assuming a world-end scenario (society completely breaks down) What 1 pistol and 1 long gun would you choose.
    I've decided to open it up a little to include:

(1) Primary (long gun)
    (1) Secondary (Short gun, submachine gun etc)
    (1) Sidearm (pistol)

What would you guys choose for each?

2. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known

Aug 4, 2009
    Midland, TX
    cool thread, man!:happy0001:

Long Gun: Ruger SR-556 w/ vertical foregrip, 1-4x scope, badass flashlight
    Short Gun: sawed off Rem870 with pistol grip
    Sidearm: Kimber 1911 w/ Crimson Trace LaserGrips
    (these are all guns I dont have, lol)

to be realistic, this is what I REALLY would have
    Long Gun: Winchester model 70 .243
    Short Gun: sawed-off Mossberg 20ga
    Sidearm: heritage manufacturing single action .22 revolver

:fighting0002:

3. wrtanker

wrtanker Active Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    End of the world means nothing being manufactured, including ammo, parts, and batteries. Also, you don't just have to fight off bad guys or zombies, you also have to put food on the table. For those purposes you need firearms that are simple, robust, and plentiful that use common and plentiful ammo.

For the long arm you need something that will handle pretty much any target you'll come up against. 7.62 is a good all-around caliber. A bolt action rifle is simpler than a semi-auto, less likely to malfunction when maintenance starts getting spotty. I'd look for a bolt action .308 rifle.

For the handgun you're looking for close-in defense. The same conditions apply as for long arms. Revolvers are probably less likely to malfunction, however since most law enforcement agencies in this country have gone to semi-auto pistols common revolver ammo is probably less plentiful than ammo for semi-autos. Common calibers in the US include .45ACP, 9mm, and more recently .40S&W. I would hesitate to carry anything less than a 9mm. The 1911 design is pretty hard to beat for durability and simplicity. I'd carry a .45 govt 1911.

For the short gun you need something for close-in defense and to put food on the table. For that I'd want a shotgun. 12ga is common, plentiful, and effective on both game and bad guys. Staying with the simplicity line I'd choose a nice pump shotgun. I'm not real familiar with shotguns so I hesitate to name a brand.

That's my take.

4. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    1. M4

2. 12ga shotgun

3. Glock

5. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    wrtanker: good point.

....of course if the end of the world included zombies, I'd trade my short gun for a katana. No sense in wasting ammo to remove zombie heads :happy0001:

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    1) M4 length AR15

2) Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590

3) Glock 17

4) Katana, they don't run out of ammo and can chop up zombies almost indefinitely. ;) lol

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Long Gun: Remington 700 w/ Fixed Sights and 10x Scope in .308
    Short Gun: Benelli M2 Field in 20 Gauge
    Sidearm: Glock 19

With that combo you can kill anything ... Elk, Deer, Ducks, Cows, etc. I'd heavily rely upon more primitive means when I could, like trapping, bows and arrows, etc.

8. goodfellas

goodfellas Member

Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    AkM (7.62x39)

Mossberg 500 12G

Glock in 9mm

All common calibers and since I'm in a Densely populated area I figure every large to medium sized animal will have been turned to food pretty quickly. Id like to carry a small pellet gun or slingshot on me for small game like birds squerls and rats witch might be the only game around.

9. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    AR carbine, even in an EOW scenario there will be no shortage of parts to be scavenged from those that dont know how to use them as well.

Remington 870, only way to get any more basic in a shotty is to get a coach gun. As for parts see above.

Glock 23 with my LW 9mm conversion barrel. Talk about reliable and simple... Glock defines it in a handgun, and with the 2 calibre option ammo wont be as much of a problem.

10. oldnbald

oldnbald New Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    WASR 10

Mini 14

10/22

Any of my several .45 1911s

Of course, being old, fat, with terrible knees, going into the "wild" is not an option with me, so I will just load up everything and let them come to me.