Benelli M4
    Kimber Custom Covert .. oh, wait :p
    Lynx Defense

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Long: AR15, Short: Rem 570 or Mossberg 590. As others have said spare parts for these can be scavenged if needed.

Sidearm: HK USP - don't need no stinkin' spare parts

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    Long gun: M1 Garand (got ammo for it)
    Secondary gun: Wasr 10 (reliable in any environment)
    Pistol: Taurus Judge (less moving parts, and is both a shotgun and a cartridge pistol)

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    Long gun: AR 15 5.56 nato
    Secondary gun: Marlin 1895SBL 45-70 / Remington 870 12 Ga.
    Pistol: berretta 92 9mm (same as military issue side arm so parts will be somewhat common)

fantasy list

Long gun: M16A2
    Secondary gun: Dillion M134D (its a fantasy list and 6000 rounds a minute is deffinately a fantasy )
    Pistol: Glock 18 9mm machine pistol (select fire so full auto with reliability of a glock)

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    I was actually thinking about this the other day:
    1) With all of my black rifle experience (None) aren't they kinda picky on the maintenance and cleaning? Can you run an AR through lots of rounds (North of 800 lets say) without regular cleaning and oiling? (Say, the EOW situation with you and your posse constantly traveling with only backpacks and what you can carry)

2) Hearing that AKs are very reliable (If the Mujahidin can use em, a 3 year old can take care of one) might 7.62X39 become scarce over time? Would a .223 chambered rifle be a better ammo choice due to it's abundance in the states?

As for my choices:
    Rifle- Lever action 30-30/.44mag/.45-70 (Simple is good, and if it worked for the Duke, it'll work for me)
    Short- most likely a pump action shotty.(Not familiar with em too much so I won't even try)
    Pistol-Ideal=G17 due to ease of maint, abundance of parts and ammo.
    Realistic= Kimber .45 cause she's sweet and puts holes where I want em.

Ish

1. If you buy a good one, IE; Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, SLR15, LWRCi. I just got back from a carbine class where we fired around 1800 rounds in 3 days. I still havent cleaned my rifle and I didnt have a single malfunction. And I was using steel cased ammo. Neither did anyone else that had a good rifle. Those with Bushys, DPMS, or guns built with "parts just as good as" all had theirs go down. The instructors LMT hasnt been cleaned in over 12000 rounds. Pat Rogers' Colt finally got a wipedown at 15050 rounds.

2. AK's fail just as much as AR's. Don't fall into the hype.

viking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    Cedar Park
    What ever guns a person has the most ammo for at any given time, that is the reality of it. Or how much ammo components you have for a giving cartridge. A person might have a tricked out AR-15, but only have 60 rounds. On the other hand that person might have 150 rounds of 30-30 or whatever. People should not count on "finding" a certain caliber. Other people will be thinking the same thing. Just look how hard it has been to get certain ammo this last year.

Navarone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Dallas
    Ar-15 carbine length+trijicon tri-power (3 power sources battery/sunlight/tritium)
    remington 870 - this ones a no brainer
    Sig 229 or 220 (Tough as bricks handguns that will last longer than you do)

I dont prefer these weapons personally but they fit the situation.

The ar15 being so popular in america just makes sense ammo/parts wise. I would prefer a m1a scout but chances are if it goes down it stays down, and 308 is hard enough+expensive to get. It goes without saying that there is plenty of .223/5.56 and 12ga to go around not including law enforcement and military. Would be easy to barter for and with as well, you will need things that most people have in case you need to trade for food/water/supplies.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    What ever guns a person has the most ammo for at any given time, that is the reality of it. Or how much ammo components you have for a giving cartridge. A person might have a tricked out AR-15, but only have 60 rounds. On the other hand that person might have 150 rounds of 30-30 or whatever. People should not count on "finding" a certain caliber. Other people will be thinking the same thing. Just look how hard it has been to get certain ammo this last year.

This is true... My colt mustang is a tack driver but last year it would have killed all of zero zombies... Correction I might've bashed a few skulls in a pinch...

ronf28

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Georgetown
    At the Homestead:
    PTR-91 w/ burris fullfield 3x9
    870 tactical
    XD .40 4"

Out an About "patrol":
    Savage Scout .308 w/ leupold 2.5x 28
    Marlin 1894c 357/ 38spl.
    Taurus stainless 7 shot 357

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    ........................All that said, I firmly believe that a lever action .30-30 has good potential as a SHTF rifle. It can work decently in a "tactical" role, in spite of its lower capacity and slower reload time. In the hands of a decent operator, its rate of fire should match an autoloader up until it's empty. And it definitely would do just fine as a game-getter if you wound up in the countryside. I think there are a few hunters who have been successful with a rifle like that.. just one or two. :p

There's also something to be said about toting a gun that looks less "military" or "threatening". A lever action is a lot less likely to draw the "wrong kind" of attention, IMO.
    I firmly believe that a 30-30 is very capable of fast operation as I had one that I could work very fast and will get another one when I get the chance. As for the less military looking gun I think my 30-06 is good but the pistol and the rig I'd prefer to carry it in would not pass as no military looking. LOL!

Top Bottom