• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Since none of the other posting rules are being enforced, I thought I would post it here. Good enough answer for you 13ers? ;)

I asked because I am always interested in fireares related movies, but thanks for the romper room reply. Sorry you got your diapers in a wad.

Looking at these two posts, looks to me like Hoji's not the one with the wadded diaper. LOL!!
    Guns International

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was planning to catch this movie but I'll take your word for it. Movies are like dog poop. If you find a turd and you tell me that it stinks, do I really need to sniff it personally to verify that? snicker!

Flash

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hmm...most of my friends who've seen it (fantasy/sci-fi/Tolkein geeks every one) disagree with you. I've heard mostly good things with a couple of dissenters. Hopefully I'll be able to catch it some time in the next few weeks and give my own opinion on it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    First movie followed the book pretty well and was an enjoyable movie with great FX. Second movie deviated from the book to a huge degree, had an inter species love interest, and was so boring that my wife and I walked our one hour into it.(58 minutes to be exact)
    If you are a Tolkien fan, save your money and just read the book again.

+1

Legolas and his gf jumping around ruined it for me. Adding a bunch of crap to squeeze 3 movies out of the Hobbit was a mistake.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I finally got around to watching it last night and enjoyed it. They came up with lots of creative ways to kill orcs :laughing:

I don't read fiction so I'm not sure what is "off" about the movie vs. the book, but it was good entertainment.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I finally got around to watching it last night and enjoyed it. They came up with lots of creative ways to kill orcs :laughing:

I don't read fiction so I'm not sure what is "off" about the movie vs. the book, but it was good entertainment.
    There are no orcs in the book for one.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    boooooooring....

I know, I know. I guess some people are into interspecies romance and some are into accurate screen adaptations.

I would recommend reading the book before passing judgment, but it does not have the chick flick elements or cross species love interest in it so you would probably not find it interesting.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    OK, I'm probably going to be taking the kids this weekend (apparently I promised this...probably while I was in the middle of reloading and just said "yes" to any and all questions being posed)

Has anyone actually seen the 3D version? Worth it? (say no, say no)

No. Orcs are [different than goblins and] mentioned in passing in the Hobbit, but make no appearances. They are separate races.
    OK, I'm no expert on the matter. Guess its a subject others might debate: 30 second orc-goblin google kung-fu

I read The Hobbit and LOR Trilogy to my kids a few years ago. It was great to get them away from the video games and computers and I think really helped them get more interested in books. Some lessons learned from this undertaking:
    - Daddy and boys like the large battles, girls like it when the hobbits and elves are running thru fields and crap
    - Replace indefinite pronouns (he and she) in the text with the actual names (i.e. Gandalf and Galadriel) to avoid confusion
    - After watching the movies with your kids, ask them if it was the way they imagined it

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    "Before you could get round Mirkwood in the North you would be right among the slopes of the Grey Mountains, and they are simply stiff with goblins, hobgoblins, and orcs of the worst description." -- Gandalf From the Hobbit.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    yes, yes, yes...goblins, orcs, elves, hobbits, halflings, little-people, dwarfs, garden gnomes, ents, trolls, wraiths, ghosts. all different, fine.

but what does Gandalf have to say about the 3D movie ??

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    If you are going to see it, IMAX is the only way to see a movie like it. Bear in mind, we walked out of it in an IMAX. While the visuals were amazing, it was not enough to save it for us.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Has anyone actually seen the 3D version? Worth it? (say no, say no)

If you are going to see it, IMAX is the only way to see a movie like it.

IMAX is great but IMAX 3-D gives me a headache bad enough to contemplate suicide. I'll go to just about anything in plain, old, 2-D, original-spec IMAX. I avoid the 3-D like the plague.

YMMV, obviously.

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Just got back from the matinee in plain ol' 2D with the kiddos....meh.

They enjoyed it, but even my 8 year old girl said "Daddy, why do they keep changing it from the book so much?"

Lots of scenes obviously modified, created, etc just for the sake of more 3D experience, which I'm frankly glad I didn't pay for as it would not have made up for my disappointment. I'm not a hardcore Tolkien purist, but I think Peter Jackson peaked with the first LOR movie, despite all those unnecessary storyline deviations. I'm just hoping next year I can convince my kids to just wait for Hobbit Part 3 on Blu-Ray.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    No. Orcs are mentioned in passing in the Hobbit, but make no appearances. They are separate races.
    nerds1.jpg

Top Bottom