• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just moved, and we had literally the worst moving company known to man. Nothing is organized or packed well, can't find anything, took three days to get everything to the new house, etc. Nothing broken, but a few things have some minor dings here and there. The worst part about it is feeling sore and the pain in my knee from overstretching it catching a falling refrigerator.
    Guns International

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If I'm understanding your post correctly...at least the price was right.
    Good catch ;) Next time the money will be happily paid to the professionals.

In all fairness, my family members who came to help were absolute rock stars, and although we cut it close on time we got it done. We completely underestimated the amount of stuff we had to move. Filled a 26' U-Haul TWICE, plus multiple trips with full car/truck/suv.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So, did the moving company just pack stuff for you, or are you saying they used Uhaul trucks for the move?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I quit using moving companies back in the early 80's. Too much hassle and damage.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My brother and nephew busted their tails helping, without them I'd be way up a creek without a paddle.

Next time I'll gladly accept the hassle and damage of a moving company. My wife actually broke down a little bit she was so overwhelmed, but like the badass she is sucked it right back up and soldiered on.

A funny anecdote, my brother and I are in the older half of our 40's, and we ran circles around the kids in their 20's. My oldest was pretty intimidated by how he couldn't keep up. He came and pitched in though, and didn't complain one bit. He's definitely a good kid.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Just did the move a few months ago. I feel your pain. We purged the house as we started packing a month before the move. On move day had 2 buddies, BIL & paid a couple guys from work to come help load up on moving day. We had the 26' loaded up in about 5 hours, we only had to make one trip with the 26'. Then rented a 16' enclosed trailer to get the rest of the small stuff to the new place.

Our previous 2 moves, we had it all packed & ready. Then just paid a moving company to load up & unload at the new place.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    My brother and nephew busted their tails helping, without them I'd be way up a creek without a paddle.

Next time I'll gladly accept the hassle and damage of a moving company. My wife actually broke down a little bit she was so overwhelmed, but like the badass she is sucked it right back up and soldiered on.

A funny anecdote, my brother and I are in the older half of our 40's, and we ran circles around the kids in their 20's. My oldest was pretty intimidated by how he couldn't keep up. He came and pitched in though, and didn't complain one bit. He's definitely a good kid.
    Hire pros or not, moving is never easy. Hope Mrs. & you are doing well.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    The horror stories people could tell about military moves. Thank goodness I stayed in Germany 8 years straight so I was saved making 2-3 moves but still.

When I went to Germany, they lost most of our household goods, including my m-1 carbine.

Surplus Guy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Hood County
    Moved 2 weeks ago and used Veterans Moving America LLC. We got rid of a lot of stuff by donating to local charity and giving daughter some furniture as we were downsizing. They were 1/2 the price of 2 other moving companies. If you can have a good experience moving I guess that is what it was. Forgot how tough moving really is regardless. I assured my wife they could take care of a glass top on vintage bedroom furniture better than we could. Guess what they broke.

Eagler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2020
    Dallas
    Moving is always rough in my experience. I will say, however, that I actually had a good experience a couple years back with this outfit https://threemenandatruck.net/ and they gave us some great advice. There's a database of moving companies that's maintained by the US Dept. of Transportation that has details about complaints, safety records and other pertinent things that can help you find a good one. Made it much easier to separate the what from the chaff so to speak.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I made a 1,000 mile move seven years ago. Movers themselves were great. A local company that gave time certain delivery.
    I worried for their health given the extreme physical effort they made and the long hours.

Unfortunately the initial weight estimate (by the sales guy) was way off. The extra pounds were charged at $0.50 each. I moved a lot of stuff worth 5 cents a pound at the 50 cent rate.

15 years before that I had a company paid pack and move that was incredibly easy for me. Only complaint was they tagged everything (even packed and tagged trash cans full of trash) with little numbered stickers which used some kind of permanent glue.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Last move was 17 years ago when we had this house built. Moved twice - first into a rental while this was being built, then to the new house. Part of the problem is between my tools and the wife's collection of furniture and "stuff", it took 7 men and 7 trucks 12 hours to do it both times - and we had everything already boxed/broken down. They initially sent 3 men and trucks on the first move...couple of hours into it, they sent the other 4 & 4. Boss man showed up about 2 to see why they were dragging their feet, and stuck around to help finish up. To say their estimator grossly underestimated the amount of stuff to be move was an understatement....lol When I called for the second move, the owner asked me "Did your wife have a garage sale, I hope?!??"

Top Bottom