Guns International

Would an old Nightforce scope that has been in storage for over 12 years still be worth much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hopeitsells

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2019
    Plano
    My dad left me a rifle that has a NXS 12-42x56. I have no use for it really, so I'm considering selling. But I looked it up and apparently it's somewhat old, as they don't even make this model anymore. What could I get for it?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Which reticle?

If it was properly stored and cared for.... it still retains value......I gave $400.00 for a similar used Night Force a few years ago that rests on top of my 50 BMG Bushmaster. Never have regretted buying it.....He gave me the original receipt/box/ papers with it and he paid $1800.00 + tax for it new....

hopeitsells

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2019
    Plano
    Which reticle?

If it was properly stored and cared for.... it still retains value......I gave $400.00 for a similar used Night Force a few years ago that rests on top of my 50 BMG Bushmaster. Never have regretted buying it.....He gave me the original receipt/box/ papers with it and he paid $1800.00 + tax for it new....

Remind me which reticle is which? I definitely don't have the original receipts, but the rifle it's attached to has been stored in an air tight case with egg crate foam protecting it over the years. It also still has the lens covers it came with keeping the glass protected on both ends.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My dad left me a rifle that has a NXS 12-42x56. I have no use for it really, so I'm considering selling. But I looked it up and apparently it's somewhat old, as they don't even make this model anymore. What could I get for it?
    That was NightForce’s original extreme long range scope. Midway has new ones for sale for $1,885 right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009367551?pid=785104

Depending on your reticle, $1,500 wouldn’t be out of the question if you find the right buyer. Otherwise you can expect $1,000 - $1,200.

yellowg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Pflugerville, Texas
    I got $1350 for my NXS F1 4-16x50 NF1 reticle on ebay, and it was 5 years old. Don't try selling it in Austin because there's nowhere to shoot with it unless you own land lol.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    That was NightForce’s original extreme long range scope. Midway has new ones for sale for $1,885 right now.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009367551?pid=785104

Depending on your reticle, $1,500 wouldn’t be out of the question if you find the right buyer. Otherwise you can expect $1,000 - $1,200.

I doubt Midway has any,they show it as Discontinued.

I'd guess that scope is SFP being as old as it is,plus it's also MOA not Mil. Most long range shooters today want FFP and Mil/Mil scopes,and very few want 12-40x magnification.
    You might post it on Accurate Shooters Forum,some of the benchrest guy's might be interested in it. Price wise,you might get around $1k for it,if it's in excellent condition.
    Old NSX scopes generally don't fetch top dollar,they are antiques when it comes to scope technology/features.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I bought that exact scope used a few months ago for $1k. It is an excellent benchrest scope - super clear glass and a very fine reticle. The only funky thing is it has 1/8 MOA clicks and a full turret turn ends up being a weird number. If you're not turret twisting a lot, I think it is an excellent scope.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I doubt Midway has any,they show it as Discontinued.

I'd guess that scope is SFP being as old as it is,plus it's also MOA not Mil. Most long range shooters today want FFP and Mil/Mil scopes,and very few want 12-40x magnification.
    You might post it on Accurate Shooters Forum,some of the benchrest guy's might be interested in it. Price wise,you might get around $1k for it,if it's in excellent condition.
    Old NSX scopes generally don't fetch top dollar,they are antiques when it comes to scope technology/features.

To me discontinued is not the same as out of stock.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It's a great scope.

A buddy has one and it is dazzlingly sharp and clear.
    He is a bench-rest detail-obsessed sort of guy.

It's a very special purpose long range precision scope and the guys who actually need it would give you $1,200 in a heartbeat if it's the pristine condition I suspect it is in.

Hang around here long enough to sell it on the forum!

BTW
    The more interesting question......your dad new quality gear.
    What sort of firearm is the NF mounted upon???

https://www.chuckhawks.com/nightforce_NXS_scopes.htm

h

Last edited:

hopeitsells

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2019
    Plano
    It's a great scope.

A buddy has one and it is dazzlingly sharp and clear.
    He is a bench-rest detail-obsessed sort of guy.

It's a very special purpose long range precision scope and the guys who actually need it would give you $1,200 in a heartbeat if it's the pristine condition I suspect it is in.

Hang around here long enough to sell it on the forum!

BTW
    The more interesting question......your dad new quality gear.
    What sort of firearm is the NF mounted upon???

https://www.chuckhawks.com/nightforce_NXS_scopes.htm

h

Yeah, that's the idea. It's mounted on a Savage Model 12 .308

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Night force is pretty much top of the line regardless of how old. I'm pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty, except for mil spec which have like 10 or 15 years. The damn things are nearly indestructible and, unlike many other scopes, take lateral impact well without optic movement.

They carry their value well. Still well over a grand at least. I would never get rid of it cause I could never afford to replace it but that's me.

Oh, welcome.

Top Bottom