ARJ Defense ad

Would I need a hunting license for this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I'm not sure if this would be considered hunting or pest control. Ever since I've moved to Texas I've noticed there are rabbits ripping up lawns. (mainly digging holes) I do have a bb/pellet gun combo, but need to make sure it's up to par. I've thought about buying a break barrel pellet gun just for this, or get a compound bow or crossbow. But those are quite a bit more expensive.

So, I'm wanting to take the rabbits out. Maybe even eat them? I live on 1/2 acre with a wood fence in the back. I don't plan on doing it in the front yard. Is this inadvisable? Do I need a hunting license? I've been wanting to get into hunting for a while. I'm getting closer to being able, but still got a ways to go.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Military Camp

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Last time I looked ... rabbits and hares are considered open season year around, but I'm pretty sure you will need a hunting license to hunt both legally.

Last edited:

hizer4648

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2017
    I live in a rural community in west Texas and I know what you mean. I've got 4 acres and there's cottons and jacks everywhere, along with some tree and ground squirrels ( they love my pecan and walnut trees). I bought a .177 break open pellet rifle last year. I think I'm putting a dent in their activities around my patch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So, I'm wanting to take the rabbits out. Maybe even eat them? I live on 1/2 acre with a wood fence in the back. I don't plan on doing it in the front yard. Is this inadvisable? Do I need a hunting license? I've been wanting to get into hunting for a while. I'm getting closer to being able, but still got a ways to go.

Yes, that is hunting.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Don't eat Jack Rabbit. Cotton molly is ok, but not in summer time. IIRC, seems like you may have to show that this non-licensed hunt is happening in your county of residence (ie, show a drivers license). Be careful with ticks

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Depredation is normally associated with the protection of crops, livestock, or people. I guess digging holes in the lawn coul be argued, but I'd suggest it's better to be safe than sorry.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Well, I learned something today. I didn't know that I needed a hunting license to shoot rabbits on my own land. But according to the TPW website, I do.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Could rabbits and hares be considered "nuisance fur-bearing animals"? The 2nd link in texasnurse's post, post #7. It says no license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals. But when I click that link, it doesn't really say for certain if rabbits and hares are on that list?

How would I find out, if it's ok to hunt on my land? Just worried about it being in a neighborhood. Hutto, Tx.
    BRD@66, what do you mean by "Be careful with ticks"? Don't let them bite you, or if the rabbit has em, don't eat it? I should probably find out what kind of rabbit/hare that digs in my yard.

Mowed the grass a few hours ago, must have been at least 3 new holes I don't remember from mowing last time. (Mow 1-2 weeks)

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Could rabbits and hares be considered "nuisance fur-bearing animals"? The 2nd link in texasnurse's post, post #7. It says no license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals. But when I click that link, it doesn't really say for certain if rabbits and hares are on that list?

Rabbits are classified as Non-Game Animals. This is what I found.

[h=2]Nongame Animals[/h] Includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• Armadillos
    • Bobcats
    • Coyotes
    • Flying squirrels
    • Frogs
    • Ground squirrels
    • Mountain lions
    • Porcupines
    • Prairie dogs
    • Rabbits
    • Turtles

• Does not include feral hog (see Exotic Animals and Fowl).
    • No closed season. These animals may be hunted at any time by any lawful means or methods on private property. Public hunting lands may have restrictions. A hunting license is required.
    http://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/hunting/nongame-and-other-species

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Higgins99,

Here in South TX, I don't eat wild rabbit as most years we don't have ONE hard frost much less 2 of them. - Otoh, after the 2nd hard frost up in Northern TX, I've hunted, dressed & enjoyed cottontails. = I once fed an entire Optimist Club on rabbit, cooked 4 ways.
    (ImVho, Jacks are tasty only when quite young & then only when braised or BBQed.)

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    How would I find out, if it's ok to hunt on my land? Just worried about it being in a neighborhood. Hutto, Tx.
    BRD@66, what do you mean by "Be careful with ticks"? Don't let them bite you, or if the rabbit has em, don't eat it? I should probably find out what kind of rabbit/hare that digs in my yard.

Both. Don't get tick bit & don't eat tick-infested rabbit. Probably cottontail, not jack in the yard - but it could also be armadillo if you haven't actually seen the culprit. In that case be aware that armadillos can carry leprosy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've eaten rabbits from all times of the year in the past, never had any ill effects.

I lean towards the thought that the dangers are more rural legend and old wives tail than fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Pretty sure if you cook it long enough. Do you live in town? Do pellet guns fall into discharging a fire arm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom