Would I need a hunting license for this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Could rabbits and hares be considered "nuisance fur-bearing animals"? The 2nd link in texasnurse's post, post #7. It says no license is needed for nuisance fur-bearing animals. But when I click that link, it doesn't really say for certain if rabbits and hares are on that list?

How would I find out, if it's ok to hunt on my land? Just worried about it being in a neighborhood. Hutto, Tx.
    BRD@66, what do you mean by "Be careful with ticks"? Don't let them bite you, or if the rabbit has em, don't eat it? I should probably find out what kind of rabbit/hare that digs in my yard.

Mowed the grass a few hours ago, must have been at least 3 new holes I don't remember from mowing last time. (Mow 1-2 weeks)

I live in Hutto also by the high school. All these rabbits that run around here are cottontails. There are a ton of them!
    Hurley's Gold

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

'Ole Peter Cottontail's cousins are VERY numerous & tasty too, fixed most anyway. - My favorite being battered/fried with cream gravy & biscuits.

yours, satx

hizer4648

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2017
    I've shot a few jacks in my time, but I've never eaten one. I usually gave them to the dogs. They would chew em up but didn't really eat em. Guess my dogs were spoiled from eating gravy train.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    As of April, 2006 discharging any firearm, including pellet and paintball guns, within Hutto city limits is illegal.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jrbfishn,

My enemies on the site may never forgive you for admitting that you agree with me on any subject. = CHUCKLE.

yours, satx

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    As of April, 2006 discharging any firearm, including pellet and paintball guns, within Hutto city limits is illegal.
    So if I'm in the blue, on this map. http://www.huttotx.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/159 It's fine? Where have you found this information? On the website I linked, I used the search bar "pellet" and could not find anything about it being official, just some pdf files talking about possibly making it illegal.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Sec. 14.04.032 Discharge prohibited
    (a) A person commits an offense if the person discharges any kind of firearm or other weapon designed for the purpose of firing or discharging a shell, cartridge, or a projectile of any kind, regardless of whether the shell or cartridge is blank or live ammunition, within the city.
    (b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
    (1) The person was a law enforcement peace officer acting in the performance of his or her official duty;
    (2) The person was at a shooting range operated by the United States government, the state, or a political subdivision of the state, or which is privately operated, if approved by the police department;
    (3) The person was using blank cartridges for a show or theatrical production, or for signal or ceremonial purposes in athletics or sports, or by a military organization;
    (4) The person discharged the weapon in the protection of life or property as defined in the penal statutes of the state, so long as such discharge was not done in a reckless or negligent manner; or
    (5) The person was participating in an amusement arcade or paintball amusement facility or event specifically authorized or permitted by the city.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So if I'm in the blue, on this map. http://www.huttotx.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/159 It's fine? Where have you found this information? On the website I linked, I used the search bar "pellet" and could not find anything about it being official, just some pdf files talking about possibly making it illegal.

• What is it that I am not allowed to shoot in the city limits?
    &#8220Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance, by means of compressed air, compressed gas, springs, or any other means capable of discharging shots, cartridges, pellets, missiles, projectiles or any object, or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearms specifically include, but are not limited to the following: rifles, shotguns, automatic rifles, revolvers, pistols, handguns, air guns, pellet guns, paintball guns, BB guns and spring guns.

It isn't illegal to shoot air guns in the ETJ.

http://www.thehuttonews.com/news/article_1c906761-fa57-50e7-bc35-b0273a594ec3.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom