• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 350xfire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    So I have had the desire of getting a .308 for a while but the question is: Should I build it or should I buy complete? I like the idea of building but don't want to run into problems due to incompatibility issues, etc. I have heard that .308 don't follow the mil-spec standards. I know DPMS is one of the most common and I was thinking about going this way if I build. Thoughts? Thanks
    Venture Surplus ad

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I've heard that the DPMS is pretty well regarded. I have an M1A and love it. If you're not used to building guns, you probably want to look into buying it complete, or buying the parts for a complete one at your local gun store and have them walk you through it.

350xfire

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    I've built about 7 ARs, disassembled many other guns, done moly resin coating, etc, etc.. Also somewhat of a hobby machinist so I feel comfortable doing it.. Just kind of looking around and thinking may be building it may not be worth it from a cost perspective...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've built about 7 ARs, disassembled many other guns, done moly resin coating, etc, etc.. Also somewhat of a hobby machinist so I feel comfortable doing it.. Just kind of looking around and thinking may be building it may not be worth it from a cost perspective...

Unless you want it customized. Not much to gain by buying parts twice.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have been shooting ARmalite sine 06'. Great machine with tight tolerances and the company is top tier. I have been looking at the carbine for some time and it has been around $1250 for a long time. Their "A" model takes Magpul plastic mags and all of the other brands on that wagon. The barrels that ARmalite installs in their rifles are very good and for me I have yet to need to install anything else.

ArmaLite Inc

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Yes buy larue if you like to wait a couple yrs before shooting....... Armalite ranks around RRA nowadays.
    And I always chuckle when people use the term top tier

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Nothing against ArmaLite, but their quality is not what I would consider "top tier." They don't come close to the likes of LaRue, KAC, or LMT in the "AR10" game.

Reading is fundamental. I said that the "company" is top tier. Their product is on the more mass produced line which I fully agree. ARmalites customer service is nearly unrivaled and is one I wish more were like in our industry we enjoy so much.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom