Patriot Mobile

Would like some insight on a malfunction?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shdg11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    out at the range a few days ago, everything functioning normal and then the weapon fire kind of funny and a puff of smoke came from the eject port along with a round failing to feed and eject and i wanted get some opinions on whether this is indicative of a problem with the weapon or the ammo. the weapon is a Sig MPX and i was using Tula Brass Max ammo. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442445363.358244.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442445371.758182.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442445381.808495.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There could be a few different things going on.

My first guess says that the gun fired with the action open just a tad and blew out the case. That would explain the head seperation and funky ballooning of the case.

I am also guessing you have a bullet lodged in your barrel. Have you checked that?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I would guess out of battery detonation. First guess would be that ammo. Second guess the ammo might of dirtied up the bolt causing the firing pin to stick in the out postions causing a slam fire.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I'm with the above assessments, definitely fired out of battery.
    Also, as mentioned in almost every post, check the barrel for an obstruction, chances are high with the case blow out that you've got a bullet lodged in there.

It looks to have an AR style cam lock, so perhaps it was a slam fire as baboon indicated. If the firing pin isn't stuck, it could have been a high primer. Look the remaining ammo over, use your finger to feel for high primers, or chalk it up to experience and consider using a different brand of ammo.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I would guess out of battery detonation. First guess would be that ammo. Second guess the ammo might of dirtied up the bolt causing the firing pin to stick in the out postions causing a slam fire.
    This is a good point. Dirty ammo can gunk up unusual parts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The crazy thing is it may never happen again. Or it may happen often. Sometimes you just never know.

Clean it well (take the bolt apart), check the barrel, check the ammo, and shoot it again.

shdg11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    There could be a few different things going on.

My first guess says that the gun fired with the action open just a tad and blew out the case. That would explain the head seperation and funky ballooning of the case.

I am also guessing you have a bullet lodged in your barrel. Have you checked that?

I took the weapon apart, checked it out and there was no bullet lodged in the barrel. After a quick inspection, i put it back together, fired it again and it fired without any malfunction.

shdg11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Thanks for the info, after a good cleaning i will take it out again and see how it runs with different ammo.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I took the weapon apart, checked it out and there was no bullet lodged in the barrel. After a quick inspection, i put it back together, fired it again and it fired without any malfunction.

I find it very odd that that happened to the case and the bullet left the barrel. Stranger things have happened I guess. Glad there wasn't any damage.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I find it very odd that that happened to the case and the bullet left the barrel. Stranger things have happened I guess. Glad there wasn't any damage.
    Right there with you, unless the bolt just unlocked too early.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    I know it is hard to believe with Tula ammo, but the case could have been out of spec and too large to completely chamber and had a slam fire when the bolt hit it.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    So I'd lean towards the fired out of battery conclusion, but the how is interesting.

Gut says gun issue, possibly exacerbated by the ammo (dirt/crud) but a gun issue none the less. You'd need a lot of bolt energy (without a stuck firing pin) to trigger a shallow primer slamfire

Top Bottom