Would these comments about 2A rights from Gov Abbott get your vote Nov 8th?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Y’all must have a different idea what the role of government is. Y’all also seem to think today’s R party makes Glock perfection look like something hi point would out out.

Rick Perry decided politics was more important than good governance and started the guerrilla governor project and hot wheels quietly continues it to this day and will do so until he’s out of office. We’re going on 22 years of two people building a dictatorship

I love this state, it’s been home to my family for five generations on one side and six on the other. I ain’t got a problem fighting for the government I want. Hot wheels ain’t it. Beto ain’t either.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    So....the only option left is to compromise our conservative goals and values for another term? Isn't that what got us here in the first place? And what was that definition for "insanity" again?.....

At this point, I would just settle for good. Instead, we get "meh". And we end up with a choice between a liberal who is honest about his liberalism and a "conservative" that is dishonest about his conservatism......

Not playing that game anymore....
    I don't trust much of what most politicians say. I do believe beto when he says he will take my guns.
    I can't support that he is "honest" in his desire to infringe on my rights.
    Don't send someone else, beto, if you got a pair come and take it!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    If Beto becomes governor, it won't be the fault of the voters who didn't vote for Abbott in the general election.....but the fault of the voters who DID vote for Abbott in the primaries.
    I supported a different candidate in the primaries. He was imperfect, as were the other choices. Abbott was selected by the majority. I now support Abbott in this election.

A coworker had owned Harley motorcycles his entire life until he had a warranty issue. After replacing it with a Honda he is dissatisfied with the Honda but will NEVER own another Harley. No motorcycle or politician is immune to problems, you choose which problems you can live with.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I think the people here who think Beto being elected might be a blessing because it might somehow "jolt conservatives" into action better be careful for what they wish for.

Beto being elected as governor would be the death knell for the conservatives of Texas. Over, dead & done. Beto is a "California-type" Democrat running in Texas. Keep that in mind.

Right now, there are literally millions of deep blue state dems looking to escape New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland. They are being priced out of their neighborhoods, they can't afford anything more than a shack for a house, and they are barely keeping their heads above water despite making fairly decent salaries. The COL is simply too high, and taxes in those blue areas are overwhelming. On top of that, they are looking to escape the increasing crime in those blue cities.

Why don't they move to cheaper red areas en masse you might ask?

Because of the "political climate" of Texas (or Idaho, or Tennessee), they hesitate to make the move. It's a culture clash for them. They may hate 2A, the pro-life movement, the "Bible Belt" and religion in general. I know, I talk to left coast people all the time, and they think I'm crazy for moving to Texas because "it's a backwards bible gun loving red neck state." Okay, fair enough. :laughing:

But you elect a Francis Beto O' Rourke? You're basically sending a signal to every dissatisfied blue state dem to come on in, opening the flood gates for millions of those people to relocate to "cheaper" and less "crime filled" Texas. They will literally flock to the state at a rate 10x more than you've seen before. But for them, they will be okay with it because BETO is in charge, and he's like them. They will quickly erode all red areas and over turn any election integrity laws that may exist, and by the time you realize what is happening, you will never, ever get your state back. Not in your lifetime.

The silver lining there might be that California may become a more "purple" state, but even so, I'd probably pack up and move right on to Florida, hurricanes and all because I can afford to, and it wouldn't be very hard for me.

But some of you who have your entire lives here in Texas, family, friends, social circles, etc? All I'm saying is be careful what you wish for. Abbott may not be perfect, and his handling of COVID was not at the standard of a Desantis or Noem, but I've seen Abbott slowly change (even mimic Desantis) and he's not as bad as some people here are painting. You have constitutional carry, no "safe gun roster", all the NFA items you can buy, and probably the best gun laws in the entire country. Say good bye to all of that if Beto gets into office. It won't happen immediately, but it will happen quicker than you think.

It's far easier to change the imperfect friend you know, than the enemy you think you know.
    Pretty well stated.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The primaries are where you try to get the candidate you want. This time around that didn't happen and Abbot won. Now he's what we're stuck with against the liberal poster boy, and yes I'm going to vote for him because he's the least crappy option. I'm not "expecting Glock perfection out of a Hi Point", I'm using the tool at hand rather than having no means of resisting. If I'm under seige and all I've got is a Hi-Point, I'm not going to sit on my hands and refuse to touch it. I'm going to use that crappy gun until I can acquire a better one, even if I've gotta use it as a bludgeon.

Those of you who are crossing your arms and refusing to vote for anyone who's not your perfect candidate...Beto thanks you for your support. Whether you'll admit it or not, by refusing to participate or insisting on throwing your vote at a third party that'll never make a dent in things, you're removing a conservative vote from standing in Beto's way...and that is tacit support for him. It's like we're taking on water and you refuse to help bail because you haven't been provided with the perfect bucket. Make do with what we've got and we can try to do better next time around, dammit!

As Johnny Cash said..."You're so heavenly-minded, you're no earthly good".

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There be be an opportunity for him there, as the current governor is seeing visions of the White House in his future.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …… you're removing a conservative vote from standing in Beto's way...
    That’s how I feel about every single vote that went to Abbot in the primary.

Whatever your or hot wheels’ definition of conservative is sharply differs from mine. Remember, constitutionally the governor only has nine* powers.

1. Signing or vetoing bills passed by the Legislature.
    2. Serving as commander-in-chief of the state's military forces.
    3. Convening special sessions of the Legislature for specific purposes.
    4. Delivering a report on the condition of the state to the Legislature at the beginning of each regular session.
    5. Estimating of the amounts of money required to be raised by taxation.
    6. Accounting for all public monies received and paid out by him and recommending a budget for the next two years.
    7. Granting reprieves and commutations of punishment and pardons upon the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles and revoking conditional pardons.
    8. Declaring special elections to fill vacancies in certain elected offices.
    9. Appointing qualified Texans to state offices that carry out the laws and direct the policies of state government.

See Article 4, pp 111-119

*There’s a directive in Art 4 for the governor to cause the laws of the state to be faithfully executed and conduct state business among the states and the United States as permitted by state law. That’s not a power, it’s a directive.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I tend to believe politicians when the stakes are highest. Do what’s right and keep Texans employed and see through the politics of the rona? Nah, I’ll save face face and cower in the corner so the press doesn’t talk poorly of me.

How about Ted Cruz. He’s been pushing for term limits for years, it seems to be a pretty important issue to him and I agree there should be. What if he runs a third time? Are those not truly his convictions or just political theater? I won’t vote for him a third time, he made a good argument for two terms.

ETA: Spelling

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I tend to believe politicians when the stakes are highest. Do what’s right and keep Texans employed and see through the politics of the rona? Nah, I’ll save face face and cower in the corner so the press doesn’t talk portly of me.

How about Ted Cruz. He’s been pushing for term limits for years, it seems to be a pretty important issue to him and I agree there should be. What if he runs a third time? Are those not truly his convictions or just political theater? I won’t vote for him a third time, he made a good argument for two terms.
    Playing the game by the rules doesn't mean you like the rules, but not trying to change the rules the game is played by suggests you really like them.

I'd vote for Cruz for a third term...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    ....How about Ted Cruz? He’s been pushing for term limits for years, it seems to be a pretty important issue to him and I agree there should be. What if he runs a third time? Are those not truly his convictions or just political theater? I won’t vote for him a third time, he made a good argument for two terms.

ETA: Spelling
    If he is the best candidate, he will get my support and vote.

Reactions: gll

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Cornyn also thanks y’all for your vote.

And Lindsey Graham, and Mitch McConnell, etc.
    So these are RINO's right, but McConnell kept Garland from being on SCOTUS. Cornyn maybe made red flag less obnoxious than what dems were pushing (I don't know) and Graham, well still thinking of something he did that's good.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    1. Just because someone doesn't vote for Abbott doesn't mean that they will automatically cast a Ballot for Beto? Are you saying that Dems that don't vote for Beto will automatically vote for Abbott?....

2. A vote for a third-party candidate only gives that candidate a better chance. Are you saying that a Dem that votes third-party is giving Beto a better chance?.....

3. Have you even looked the third-party candidates?

Give us a list of all the 3rd party candidates that have won an election the past 10 years.

Top Bottom