Lynx Defense

Would this mag change protocol follow the rules?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I noticed that one of my favorite firearms YouTube channels did their mag changes a bit differently.

Now they made a video to explain why.

I get it, and I’m willing to try it.
    However, in competitions like IDPA and USPSA, would this get you called on being “close to breaking 180?”
    ARJ Defense ad

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I was always under the impression that this is what you were supposed to do "in real life".

For competition circles though, I can see how this could be a big no-no.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I'm confuseded. I watched, and I'm fairly certain I detected proof that they can move feet and/or twist at the waist. They've abandoned their sight picture; they will have to bring the gun back on target. So, what do they really gain? Turning my torso sideways while I accomplish the same task gives me the added advantage of shrinking myself as a target while I'm accomplishing a reload.

What they say makes sense but I don't find any real advantage from adopting their technique versus some "safer" alternatives. If I saw this at a range, it's a safe bet I'd move myself to lanes to their right.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So, what do they really gain? Turning my torso sideways while I accomplish the same task gives me the added advantage of shrinking myself as a target while I'm accomplishing a reload. ... If I saw this at a range, ...
    The demo is at a range, yes, but I think their point was that in the real world, facing a bad guy, this technique is better for reloading while moving. They stressed that the gun, pointed up, was more safely directed no matter which direction they had to move to seek cover or concealment. That was the point of the demo where he pointed the pistol directly at the camera.

So what they gain for static-line shooting range practice is nothing except dirty looks from other shooters and maybe a disqualification from a match.

What they gain in a real-life encounter is enhanced safety if reloading while moving...as they emphasize that if you have an empty gun, you really ought to be moving.

This isn't my bailiwick so I'm hoping more experienced folks chime in. However, that's what I took from the vid.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    What they gain in a real-life encounter is enhanced safety if reloading while moving...as they emphasize that if you have an empty gun, you really ought to be moving.

Fair enough. You are a better listenerer than me.

For me - my need for movement is entirely driven by my immediate progress toward cover or concealment. honestly I'm very unlikely to get 'round to pointing before concealment or cover have been located. I do admit that absolutely every direction can be down range in an unscripted scenario 'cause direction will be qualified by the threat(s).

KimoKoa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2018
    Houston
    I noticed that one of my favorite firearms YouTube channels did their mag changes a bit differently.

Now they made a video to explain why.

I get it, and I’m willing to try it.
    However, in competitions like IDPA and USPSA, would this get you called on being “close to breaking 180?”

I’m pretty sure that’s how you’re suppose to reload even in competition as long as you don’t break 180. Of course I’m pretty sure the movement on the video is exaggerated a bit to explain why. I’d find a comfortable spot within your workspace to do the reload and not pull the gun so close to your face.

Last edited:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    ^^^I think that’s a fair compromise.
    Now just need to practice. :)

There’s at least one class monthly I go to that’s real strict about the gun pointing at the berm all the time, but we don’t do fast mag changes at that class so it won’t be an issue.

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    During competition, you generally cannot engage every target standing in one spot, so you try to reload while moving between groups of targets (like you'd try to do in "real life").

You can also bring the gun "into your work space" by rolling it 90 degrees to the right (so it's flat, or parallel with the ground, and you can see the magwell) instead of rotating the muzzle upwards.

Granted, there are multiple ways to skin a cat, but sometimes me thinks folks needlessly complicate things.

bodhi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    I'm not sure I understand. The general process show in the OP video (and subsequent vids) is the only way I have ever been taught to reload and I;ve had instruction from 7-8 instructors over the last 15 years.

Is there another way?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    ^^^
    Some ranges and some instructors that I have dealt with are more concerned with “pointing in a safe direction” and seem to get bent out of shape if firearm is not “pointed down range.”

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not sure I understand. The general process show in the OP video (and subsequent vids) is the only way I have ever been taught to reload and I;ve had instruction from 7-8 instructors over the last 15 years.

Is there another way?

Yes there are lots of ways. If instruction from 7-8 instructors over the last 15 years has only shown you one way to do it, you got ripped off.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom