Texas SOT

Would this make a good home defense gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Personally, I think a nice lever-action brush gun would be great. It looks to be a 16" model, though it could be a 20". I would want a light on it, but it should be easy to point and short enough to get around corners nicely.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't see why not. Looks beautiful, btw.

PS, do the 44 specials feed as reliably as the 44 mags?

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Certainly a beautiful and very capable rifle. Depending on whether or not you are in a neighborhood with homes close by or have family members in multiple rooms I might suggest something with less penetration power in the event a miss goes through a wall potentially. I use a 410 shotgun with turkey loads, buck and slugs usually. I do sleep next to a 1911 which seems to promote sweet dreams.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Certainly a beautiful and very capable rifle. Depending on whether or not you are in a neighborhood with homes close by or have family members in multiple rooms I might suggest something with less penetration power in the event a miss goes through a wall potentially. I use a 410 shotgun with turkey loads, buck and slugs usually. I do sleep next to a 1911 which seems to promote sweet dreams.

You do realize that a 1911, buckshot, and slugs will penetrate just as much 44?

You should be aware of a gun's penetrative power, but anything that will stop a bad guy will penetrate several walls. This just means you have to do some good planning.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho

You should be aware of a gun's penetrative power, but anything that will stop a bad guy will penetrate several walls. This just means you have to do some good planning.
    I'm an empty nester out in ranch country. No worries for over penetration.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As long as you do your part, I see no problem with using a lever-action carbine like that. Practice, practice practice. My advice would be to get comfortable with point-shooting at close range. Don't bother with the sights when you're indoors - you'd be surprised how easy it is to get very good hits by simply focusing on the target. And make sure you're used to operating the action at the shoulder with the muzzle on target. Used properly, you can put a lot of hurt downrange in a short time with a lever gun. :D

Exactly.

jimmy2060

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    presidio,TX
    i use a shot gun for home defense,wide area of coverage and can control shot pattern,and distance (20 gauge) if i need more horses i load deer slugs.if i had my druthers i would have a twice barrel 12 gauge. that lever gun aint nothing but handsome.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The "wide coverage" of shotguns in a home defense situation is almost none. Most shotguns will pattern about fist-size at the kind of range you can expect to see in a home defense scenario.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    i use a shot gun for home defense,wide area of coverage and can control shot pattern,and distance (20 gauge) if i need more horses i load deer slugs.if i had my druthers i would have a twice barrel 12 gauge. that lever gun aint nothing but handsome.

Look up the "box of Truth."

It has several documentaries on shotguns. M. Sage is correct.

Top Bottom