Military Camp

Would you ever leave your guns in your vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have had guns stolen from a vehicle twice, both times because an adult family member did something STUPID. Remember that thieves are in a HURRY over fear of getting caught "in the act". There are clever ways to hide or disguise a weapon so that it would most probably be overlooked. And, several types of "truck safe" are available. Also, those little in-vehicle motion activated recording cameras can give direct evidence. I see no way to completely avoid leaving a weapon in my vehicle. Meanwhile, let's focus on eliminating those unconstitutional, dangerously counter-productive, & stupid "gun-free zones", which cause many weapons thefts. leVieux

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe it's where I live but, I've kept a handgun in the console of my truck and a cased AR on the back floor. I have done this for years without problem. Although both guns are dependable, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
    When I relocate, I'll have to get to know my area and then decide if I will continue to do this.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Maybe I've just been lucky, maybe it's where I live but, I've kept a handgun in the console of my truck and a cased AR on the back floor. I have done this for years without problem. Although both guns are dependable, they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
    When I relocate, I'll have to get to know my area and then decide if I will continue to do this.
    I'm taking notes here.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Mine is ALWAYS secured in a finger lock container that is cabled to the seat base. It only spends time there when I am unable to carry it.
    Leave it in a console? A dumbass thing to do...

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Mine is ALWAYS secured in a finger lock container that is cabled to the seat base. It only spends time there when I am unable to carry it.
    I'll bet you didn't even run with scissors when you were a kid.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a double pistol safe in my truck. That’s means I always have one in the truck, and a place to secure my carry gun if needed.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma

Hmmm? I guess I’m a dumbass but there are times (when the situation arises) I do leave a weapon in my console with the vehicle locked and the alarm on.

Leaving the vehicle unlocked & no alarm with a gun in the console is a dumbass thing to do In my opinion.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I almost always have a bag or 3 with a weapon or 3 in my pickup. Almost always.

However, those are always under some other junk in the back seat (the back seat stays folded up, so it's really just a big storage area), and are impossible to discern out without moving some of that stuff out of the way. I don't leave those inside overnight unless I'm on an oil rig. No one has ever broken into my truck, although I leave it like that wherever I go, walmart, lowes, home depot. Pretty much everywhere. But, my pickup is 9 years old, 2 wd, nothing special, nothing pretty, no gun stickers on it, no reason to choose it to break into over some fancy rig with glock or a Gadsden flag, etc.

I have a separate range vehicle: A Ford Expedition. It's a lot quicker and easier to load and shoot out of: The 3rd row stays folded down, and once the hatch is open, it's almost exactly the size of my short bed, but all enclosed and easy to access. The Expedition only stays loaded w/guns and unattended when I'm going to or from the range, and only at one of the 3 local gun shops here in town, and I park out front of those, never around back or where the truck can't be seen from inside the store.

digger

Curmudgeon
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    West Texas
    Kept a shooter in my car or truck for the last 43 years in a few different areas in Texas and never had a problem to need it or loose it knock on wood!!!!!

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Never, at least not overnight at home or someplace I'm going to be parked for an extended period of time. Can't tell you the amount of auto break-ins I've heard about where I've heard "all they took was my handgun." Of course. One of my in-laws has had two stolen from his truck and two others one each. All parked at home. Suburbs, nice area, all that.

All someone's going to get from my truck is a phone charger and a few pens and a folding knife.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I'm talking about leaving your guns in your vehicle either before or after having some range time. Maybe you need to pickup some ammo or stop run a quickish errand, visit some family or get some groceries or dinner after the range. What do you think? 99.9% of the time there is my safe for my CC, but it won't fit more then 1 gun, unless it was like a ruger lcp or something small like that. (I think I've taken up to 4 handguns to the range)

What do you do?
    Higgins909
    I've done it thousands of times with varying levels of security.

Even to go in for work on night shift, I'd pull the mag out of my 5906 and put it in my pocket. Slide the gun under the seat and go on in to work.

Top Bottom