Texas SOT

Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights?

• Would you support an organization that will fight for Texas gun rights?

Votes: 69 95.8%
    • Do you think such an organization would be a waste of time?

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

[BoT] Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Bastrop, Texas
    Indeed. We'll have the support of not only the cowboys, Irish, Indians, Mexicans and libertarians. But the support of celebrities, billionaires and hippies as well! It's genius!

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    [BoT] Jack;190971 said:
    Indeed. We'll have the support of not only the cowboys, Irish, Indians, Mexicans and libertarians. But the support of celebrities, billionaires and hippies as well! It's genius!

Well Jack, I don't drink but when I get to Austin, I'll buy you a cup of coffee. Probably be a bunch of us there.

btw - What's that stuff on either side of your head?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    [BoT] Jack;190971 said:

Dont forget about all them germins down around the Schuelenburg area! Thay like beer and gun more than anybody!!

[BoT] Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Bastrop, Texas
    Well Jack, I don't drink but when I get to Austin, I'll buy you a cup of coffee. Probably be a bunch of us there.
    Sounds like a deal. I honestly don't drink much either. I've had three beers in the last three years I've been legal.

btw - What's that stuff on either side of your head?
    I think it's just an explosion, someone else made the image for me. This is the original.
    2010-09-18_173447.png

I've actually been using this sig or a variant thereof for about two years or so now.

Dont forget about all them germins down around the Schuelenburg area! Thay like beer and gun more than anybody!!
    How could I forget the Germans!? I'm one of them! I have family in Taylor and Schlitterbahn is my favorite amusement park! Shame on me.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I know a bunch of Vets that go to my college that i can get too. But once we get started we need to start a large and fast recruiting drive and they a very large rally.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I’m in.
    We need to concentrate our efforts on one thing at a time. I believe our priority should be:
    1. Keep a gun, concealed, in your car in the employee parking lot.
    2. Open carry.
    3. Knives.

I believe that OC should be first on the list. As was mentioned, the TSRA (and NRA) is already handling the parking lot (and campus carry) problems. Not having unlicensed OC available is keeping those who have a lower income from being able to carry at any time.

Fighting to loosen up the knive laws might be one thing to consider - later. I was just given a Ka-Bar as a gift; had to suggest one of the shorter versions, even though I wanted the longer one, so I would be legal carrying it in town. And that's not right. But it's not as important as getting OC passed.

Lone Star Citizens Defence League

The name of the organization doesn't matter to me. Although, if it's going to contain the word "Defense", it probably should be spelled with an "S". ;-)

A couple months back, one of the Dallas area talk radio shows (Mark Davis, WBAP), aired a show where the topic was open carry. We just might be able to convince Mr. Davis to do another show on the topic. Once we know when the show will air, we could hit the phones.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I know knives are down on the list but there's something I really don't understand. Why did they make switchblades illegal? So it opens on it's own. So what? Once the thing is open, it's like any other knife. Once you press the button and it opens, it's tricks are over. I have a couple of Old Timer lock bladed knives that beat a switchblade all to heck after they're open. What did they have against having the convenience of such a thing as having the blade opening for you? That would be handy on the job if your other hand is busy. Not any more evil than one that you have to open with two hands.

Having said all of that, I don't want one. I don't think there are any that have a good design and most are kind of flimsy that I've seen. Opens by itself but after if you try to use it, it falls apart. Ooooh... scary!

And there are some other things that are stupid but I'll just ask about that one for now.

So, what the heck?!? Eh?

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I tend to avoid joining 'organizations' since, at some point, many tend to go off the rails. For example, the AARP many years ago simply existed as an organization of retired people and advocated to stop any proposed reductions in Social Security benefits to seniors. Nowadays they're just another uber-liberal bunch of progressives. I was once a member of the NRA. Got tired of all the advertising and appeals for money every other day, so I let it lapse. Was considering joining again not too long ago given the current DC anti-gunner mindset. Then the NRA went and endorsed Harry Reid. That crossed them off the list of any organization that might get anything from me.

In short, I don't mind joining organizations. It's just that most of them, over time, tend to wander away from their central purpose.

That said, I think the 'parking lot' issue should be #1. I'd also like to see something that would make the property owners liable if they post a 30-06 and a CHL owner is mugged on their property. Currently, I don't think they do have any. But they could have SOME liability should someone get shot on their property (can't you see some Brady Bunch lawyer arguing that the owner COULD have avoided a shooting if they posted their property?). So on one side there is potential liability, on the other side none. So as a property owner/manager, which makes the dollars and cents decision? Given that business is all about 'assets versus liabilities, once the decision gets to the corporate types, the decision is already made.

I don't think businesses should be compelled, but it needs to be a decision made without fear of the courts due to other issues. I just think the whole liability should be balanced. But if they desire to remove the ability of a citizen to protect themselves, they should have to be willing to accept consequences of that decision.

[BoT] Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Bastrop, Texas
    That said, I think the 'parking lot' issue should be #1.
    I disagree on two grounds.

1. As others have pointed out: the parking lot bill is the main focus of the TSRA and NRA. So it's already covered.
    2. The entire purpose of starting a new group is to cover the neglected open carry issue.

There are other reasons as well, but those are the main two. I do, however, like the liability idea. If you inhibit the ability of your customers and employees from having the tools necessary to defend themselves from a violent attack then you should be held liable for their safety.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As mentioned - the parking lot issue is already being championed.

Open Carry should be our focus - PERIOD. NOTHING else, or you WILL become sidetracked and marginalized by those out to shut you down. Focus on the ONE reason we exist. Once successful, then withdraw. Trust me on this - the media WILL label us already - don't make it ANY easier for 'em. Keep the screamers in OUR group in the background - our spokespeople should be professional and able to communicate our position quietly and repeatedly, and avoid responding to provacative comments/actions by those who will oppose us.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    As mentioned - the parking lot issue is already being championed.

Open Carry should be our focus - PERIOD. NOTHING else, or you WILL become sidetracked and marginalized by those out to shut you down. Focus on the ONE reason we exist. Once successful, then withdraw. Trust me on this - the media WILL label us already - don't make it ANY easier for 'em. Keep the screamers in OUR group in the background - our spokespeople should be professional and able to communicate our position quietly and repeatedly, and avoid responding to provacative comments/actions by those who will oppose us.

I agree 100% with you on this especially the bold part.

Top Bottom